General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Advice before purchase

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 07:56 AM
Squid

Bigyella is on a distinguished road
Advice before purchase

Hi All,

Just found this forum a couple of days ago. I'm considering purchasing a 98 with 31K miles on it for around $4K. It looks solid enough and appears to have an upgraded exhaust.

Question would be is this a reasonable price? Any concerns to have regarding mileage? Should I consider an extended dealer warranty?

I'm going to have them replace the cam tensioners and drive chain, also want a SS front brake line; any other obvious things to be aware of?

I'm highly able to perform pretty much any kind of service as long as I have a manual available.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:36 AM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
I think I would be looking for newer and lower mileage for $4k.
But if it's in good shape and well-maintained, you'll have a sweet ride.
You're going to love the bike.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:49 AM
Superstock

RPV-Hawk is on a distinguished road
I would say $4000 is about average. If you search/wait, you can find better deals, but you'll also find many that are higher priced. If they are going to do those service items/parts replacements for the $4K, that seems very reasonable. You appear to have covered the major issues. Just check clutch action/feel and brake pads/rotors. Make sure they allow you to test ride the bike to verify shifting action and make sure the bike has no odd sounds/vibrations.

Tires are in good shape? (decent tread, no cracking or signs of abuse/puncture repairs?)
Old 01-31-2007, 11:59 AM
SuperSport

SlowHAWK is an unknown quantity at this point
I'd say look around for 4K for a 9 year old bike with that amount of mileage.... of course if there areen't many to choose from in your area and you love it that exact bike, it will be worth every penny to you so who cares. But from seeing other bikes sell on this forum and other sites, I'd venture to say a stock 98 with that much mileage in good shape is probably better priced in the 3200-3500 range... but that just my opinion.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:14 PM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Agree w/SlowHAWK.

Now if it had 6 or 7k-miles on it, that would sound pretty good.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:38 PM
Back Marker

azhawk1 is on a distinguished road
Talking

i paid 5000 for my 98 w/ 8700 miles ,two brothers exhaust , dynojetted ,k&n, and heli bars . and have absolutelt no complaints, except for the interest.
Old 01-31-2007, 02:17 PM
Squid

Bigyella is on a distinguished road
Thanks guys, this is the kind of information regarding price I was looking for as I thought it was high for the mileage. Assuming I can get it for significantly less (it's at a dealer and has been in stock for at least 6 months) will it have any known major mechanical difficulties due to the mileage or is this bike one that will roll for a few more years with some TLC.

I'd actually rather have a yellow one to match my truck so I'm not entirely hopped up about getting this one but there seems to be a serious lack of them for sale here in Wisconsin.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:41 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
There's another way. As long it's a motivated dealer I would go for as many upgrades as I could negotiate for and pay his price. There's a very good chance this dealer traded for a 'Hawk cause he has a barn full of parts for it. My short list would be: serviced or replaced front calipers, CCT's as you suggest, fork spring upgrade, a better seat if he's got one laying around - at the end of the day if there's not enough to justify his price then do like the others suggest and just hang out. Good Luck - and yeah, you'll like the bike
Old 01-31-2007, 05:41 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
These bikes SHOULD be worth that much and more because of how much you get for the money, but I think we've all seen prices coming down and I think 4k should get you a lower mileage bike. Now if the bike's been taken care of properly the mileage shouldn't be an issue, but as has already been stated you should be able to find a newer/lower mileage bike for that money. I have a '98 with only 5500 miles on it. It's in perfect condition with a ton of $$$ upgrades and I wouldn't expect to get much more than that for it. Not that you should steer clear of the one you're looking at, just that you should probably try to get it for a bit less-it may still be a great buy. It totally depends on the condition. One can destroy a bike within a couple months, low mileage or not, and someone else can have a 10 year old bike with a bunch of miles on it that was taken care of properly. Since you're the buyer use the mileage and year to your advantage to save a few bucks. Good luck and let us know how you decide.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:41 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Yeah, for that price and the mileage, I'd go over the bike with a fine toothed comb and have them give you upgrades and new aftermarket parts galore. Start with the chain/sprockets and tires and move your way towards suspension components and a decent seat.
Old 02-01-2007, 05:34 AM
Superstock

Lefin102 is on a distinguished road
NADA has the bike at $4,200 average and $3,200 low. Its winter there so the bikes not going any where fast. The SH is underated and didn't sell as well as Honda expected. I got mine as a leftover in 2000. I would think you could get it for $3,200 with 30k mi. Start low on your offer.
Good luck