General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Pit bull stands

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 06:36 AM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
Pit bull stands

Anyone using this stand? Pros/cons?
I'm liking the forward handle idea for better control of the bike as it goes up. Also the handle isn't a trip/fall hazard. I know the the regular PB stands have a removable handle, this just seems cleaner/safer.
Don't mind spending more for a better tool and the PB has a reputation as the standard to judge others by.

Pit Bull Motorcycle Stands & Accessories: Standard Forward Handle Rear Stand
Old 07-04-2013, 07:18 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
My recommendation... abba Superbike Stand for Honda
Old 07-04-2013, 08:21 AM
Superstock

KCCO is on a distinguished road
I have a PB headlift stand coming in the next few days, I'll report back when I use it. As for a rear stand, I went for the cyclegear paddock stand and it works great (TRACKSIDE - Rear Paddock Stand - Rear Stands - Stands - Accessories - CycleGear - Cycle Gear) I know its the cheap one but it works well... Just a thought.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:04 AM
Superstock

Killemall is on a distinguished road
I used this PB for 7 years and never had an issue.
In the old version the handle is not removable.
Attached Thumbnails Pit bull stands-pitbull_ss_rear_stand_400.jpg  
Old 07-04-2013, 01:26 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Tweety
My recommendation... abba Superbike Stand for Honda
I had no idea that such a stand existed! I really like the whole concept and function. Looks like it would be almost impossible to drop the bike with this stand. Pricey, but if you add up the cost of a rear and a front stand it's about a wash. I think this is the one for me.
Thanks for the link!
Old 07-04-2013, 01:51 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by xeris
I had no idea that such a stand existed! I really like the whole concept and function. Looks like it would be almost impossible to drop the bike with this stand. Pricey, but if you add up the cost of a rear and a front stand it's about a wash. I think this is the one for me.
Thanks for the link!
Well, you can probably forget to unfold the stand going down, but that's about it...

And yeah, they sell add-on's for hoisting the front wheel as well, but a wood block and a jack under the sump along with te abba works just fine, that's how I do it...
Old 07-04-2013, 03:52 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Tweety
Well, you can probably forget to unfold the stand going down, but that's about it...

And yeah, they sell add-on's for hoisting the front wheel as well, but a wood block and a jack under the sump along with te abba works just fine, that's how I do it...
Hmm... I was thinking the same thing. Good to know that method will work.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:34 AM
SuperBike

Thought I'd continue to use this thread for an update on my search for a stand.
The Abba stand looked like the one that would do what I needed. After searching for info on the Abba stand I came to the conclusion that it would not accomplish what I needed as the primary purpose for the stand. That is the ability to remove the swing arm with the bike on the stand. I found this thread www.vtr1000.org • View topic - Home made ABBA type paddock stand dimensions and pics
Pit bull stands-standandleverlh1.jpg

Pit bull stands-standrhslever2zu4.jpg
The first time I looked at this thread it had some other photos in it, but they seem to be gone now. I saved the page as I originally found it.
Seemed like this stand would do what I wanted, so went about building myself a copy. Already had the welder, but like most of my project there was pre-project work to be done which was wiring the 50AMP receptacle first.
Made a few changes, mostly to compensate for my very poor welding skills and the lack of choices in raw materials.
The 2" tube was thinner than I wanted to use, about 1/16", so I added a bushing (1"X3/4"X2") where the threaded rod and the socket rod (I used a piece of tubing instead of rod stock) go through the vertical legs. Also added a diagonal brace to the legs to prevent excess spreading and cracked welds.
My skill improved a bit as I got more time in. Really had a learning curve with being able to see what I was doing which I think was directly related the other, bigger learning issue which was getting the welder set for the material I was working with. Anyway here is the result. I still need to make a handle. As I said sourcing the right raw material has really been the hardest part of this project.
Going to test lift the bike this morning and if I don't drop the bike I will post a photo on the stand.
The best part (for me) is that I can now install the Fox TC shock that has been waiting for about 5 months.
Pit bull stands-17mm-scocket-640x480-copy.jpgPit bull stands-dsc05450-640x480-.jpgPit bull stands-stand-640x480-.jpg
Old 06-04-2014, 07:26 AM
Squid

Rican219 is on a distinguished road
Pit bull is awesome (I have used them in the past) but there are other good stands for a fraction of the price. Trackside stands for 50 bucks each. Picking these up today heard nothing but good about them.

http://www.cyclegear.com/lp/stands

Last edited by Rican219; 06-04-2014 at 08:06 AM.
Old 06-07-2014, 10:12 AM
SuperBike

Except for adding a handle and paint the stand is done. Works well, lifts easily, and is very stable once up.
I may make another one (someday) with the screw side leg adjustable like the real Abba stand.
Will most likely still get a regular paddock stand for quick chain maintenance as this stand is a bit fussy to use.
Pit bull stands-stand-640x480-.jpg
Old 06-07-2014, 12:41 PM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

CrankenFine is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by xeris
Except for adding a handle and paint the stand is done. Works well, lifts easily, and is very stable once up.
I may make another one (someday) with the screw side leg adjustable like the real Abba stand.
Will most likely still get a regular paddock stand for quick chain maintenance as this stand is a bit fussy to use.
Attachment 17190

Nice job on the stand. I like your mirrors too.
Old 06-07-2014, 01:27 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
I've made several Abba stand copies in the last few years. Like yours, they are sized to fit one bike, so not adjustable in width much. I use a long "screw" so that when backed out there is lots of room to fit it to the bike.. then tighten the screw and the machined fittings snug up well against the frame.

I don't mind having one stand per bike that only fits that platform, as normally I would have at least two bikes up on a stand at once anyway.

I use the Abby copy stand on my lifts as well.. to quickly lift a wheel for removel...as only one lift has a full sized drop out..

On the lift, to get to the front wheel... I just use two tie down to hold pivot the back of the bike down, and hold it in place.