General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Pirrelli diablos for what seems like a good price!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 05:43 PM
Back Marker

nfbzike
Pirrelli diablos for what seems like a good price!

PIRELLI Diablo Supersport Street Motorcycle Tires 170 for a pair.

What do you guys think of these tires? I dont know much about them but they are cheap and the bike i just bought has a chicken strip that throws me for a loop.

http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1...kg_G&tier2=219
Old 05-11-2008, 05:49 PM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
If i didn't already have two sets on the shelf i would be all over this
Old 05-11-2008, 10:38 PM
Squid

krcrawford29 is on a distinguished road
Just bought a pair and I LOVE them!!!!! I drive 40-42 mile a day to work, every day, then ride canyons on weekends, they stick VERY well, shed water the same, and wear better on the center than Pilot Power CT2's. Pirrelli man, tough to beat.
I am confused, what size are you ordering?

According to your add, tires for the SH would cost you $247.98. What you tryin to sell man??????

Give these guys a call, www.cyclesector.com tell them Kane sent you, much better
deal.
Cycle gear is a jip man.
Old 05-12-2008, 04:15 AM
Back Marker

nfbzike
the price is 170 for a pair of front and rear. But only for this saturday i guess.
Old 05-12-2008, 04:56 AM
SuperSport

nnjhawk02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Yep I was lookin at this too
Old 05-12-2008, 06:19 AM
Superstock

Brian A is an unknown quantity at this point
Funny thing, I was actually going to post on these tires this morning.

Here's what I was going to say.... (And assuming the advertised Supersport is what I bought last winter as a Diablo Corsa - note: I know neither these nor mine are the Super Corsas / Corsa 3. Tread patterns are all the same so it's hard to tell just by looking)

I put the Diablo Corsas on my CBR 1000F. Bought them last time Cycle Gear had them on sale.
Friday night I left Bham and rode up to Deal's Gap. Saturday I spent playing. Sunday I rode home.

I treated the CBR - beast of a bike that it is - just like a sport bike. I was riding it hard, running with sport bikes, dragging knees, etc.

The Corsas performed better than any tire I have ever had on the CBR.
They beat the Pilot Powers, Pilot Roads, Dunlop Qualifiers and Dunlop 208s on the CBR.
They warm up quickly and nicely, and get VERY grippy for a tire not classified as a pure sport tire.
And it looks like they are going to last a lot longer than true sport rubber.
I have 2000 miles on them and they barely look used. I was changing Dunlop Qualifiers at 1500-2000 miles.

They never slid - not once. Aside from a very narrow strip along the edges of the front tire, there is no tread left unused. It is fair to say that I pushed them pretty darned hard.

The profile works great. Very nice tip in at the turns and very stable once set in the turns.

I suspect it will be what I buy from here on -especially at the price.

Except there will be none for the Superhawk. I sold it last week.
Will post separate thread to address that event.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:36 AM
Superstock

Sgt Rock is an unknown quantity at this point
I've been using Pirelli's for the past few years. Looks like I'll have to stock up this saturday
Old 05-12-2008, 07:43 AM
Superstock

rbrais is on a distinguished road
My buddy who has a dealership said that he can get them at a good price right now, too.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:51 AM
RIP Zy! You will always be in our hearts.
SuperSport

Blue Ridge Boy is on a distinguished road
I don't think you have to wait till Saturday to pre-order them. I placed them in my cart and got the discount now. It would be $187.96 shipped to your door.

With my employee discount at my shop...this sale isn't worth it though. I can get a set of Pilot Powers for like $10 more.

Last edited by Blue Ridge Boy; 05-12-2008 at 07:54 AM.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:52 AM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
The sale tire is the Diablo Supersport, not the Corsa. The SS is their most basic sport tire, and has been out for a few years. So it's kinda of low tech.

I've put almost 4k miles on mine & the rubber below the tread rubber on the rear is just starting to peek thru the center of the tread.

Not a bad tire, but for my money the Bridgestone BT-021 dual compound tire, which delivered 8k miles on the rear, is a better value. And sticks at least as well as the Diablo Supersport.

That said, though I've never used them, I'm sure the Diablo Corsa is a better knee draggin' tire from all I've read about them.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:14 AM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
I have pirelli's and they seem to be a very good tire... no complaints so far with them.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:49 AM
Superstock

Originally Posted by L8RGYZ
The sale tire is the Diablo Supersport, not the Corsa. The SS is their most basic sport tire, and has been out for a few years. So it's kinda of low tech.
I went to the Pirelli website and found they do not show a Diablo Corsa (which is what I am pretty sure I have).
They do show the Diablo Supersport, so I wonder if it took the place of the standard Corsa.

I am going to check closely when I get home to see if I can find a model number and then swing by Cycle Gear (I drive by the local store every day) and compare to the Supersport.

I'll post back.

Quick update - I called the local store and the girl checked the tires that will be on sale. She said she did not see Corsa on them anywhere.

Last edited by Brian A; 05-12-2008 at 11:16 AM.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:02 AM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
I had a pair of regular Diablos (non Corsa) on my Super Hawk before the current Pilot Powers. I think the PP is a better tire in every way, but it may be a different story for the Corsas.
Old 05-15-2008, 04:47 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Brian A
I went to the Pirelli website and found they do not show a Diablo Corsa (which is what I am pretty sure I have).
They do show the Diablo Supersport, so I wonder if it took the place of the standard Corsa.

I am going to check closely when I get home to see if I can find a model number and then swing by Cycle Gear (I drive by the local store every day) and compare to the Supersport.

I'll post back.

Quick update - I called the local store and the girl checked the tires that will be on sale. She said she did not see Corsa on them anywhere.
Sorry I forgot to post this up guys. The tire is diablo not a corsa they used to call them diablo street but with the new rossa and the corsa 3 I think they wanted to seperate them more. You can preorder on line for that price but they won't ship until the mon after the sale I believe and if you are near a store than there's more going on.

You will get 10% off your total bill, (excluding diablos, street helmets and clearence casual wear), 20% off all street helmets and 25% off clearence casual wear. Some stores will also have deals on dirt tires, I know we have the dunlop 773 for 39.99 front 44.99 rear.
Old 05-15-2008, 05:54 PM
Back Marker

nfbzike
Local cyclegear in manchester,CT here has 20% off dunlop tires as well on saturday.
Old 05-16-2008, 06:05 AM
SuperSport

Hotbrakes is on a distinguished road
Perfect timing. I just hit the wear bar on my BT-020s so I ordered a set. Not bad for the price.

I also found some BT-021s on Ebay for $245 shipped.
Old 05-16-2008, 06:52 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by nfbzike
Local cyclegear in manchester,CT here has 20% off dunlop tires as well on saturday.
Where do you live? I lived in that area for about 18 years before I escaped the cold!
Old 05-16-2008, 08:07 AM
Back Marker

nfbzike
I live in tolland,ct now. But i have a house in Vernon im rebuilding (what a mistake, notice i didnt say renovating) but i grew up in bloomfield.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:14 PM
Slacker
Superstock
Superstock

BeerHunter is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks to nfbzike for bringing this special deal to my attention. I went to the local Cycle Gear store this Sat and picked up a set of these tires. I really wanted the Pilot Powers, but for the price this deal was too good to pass up. Got them mounted up by midnight and took her out for a ride. These are so far ahead of the old Dunlop 208's that were replaced! The cold grip is better than the 208's at normal temp...moderately heavy throttle at intermediate lean angle = fun without slippage. I will miss the old slip the rear wheel behavior that had become common in my riding habits, on to better things now.
Old 05-20-2008, 02:02 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by BeerHunter
Thanks to nfbzike for bringing this special deal to my attention. I went to the local Cycle Gear store this Sat and picked up a set of these tires. I really wanted the Pilot Powers, but for the price this deal was too good to pass up. Got them mounted up by midnight and took her out for a ride. These are so far ahead of the old Dunlop 208's that were replaced! The cold grip is better than the 208's at normal temp...moderately heavy throttle at intermediate lean angle = fun without slippage. I will miss the old slip the rear wheel behavior that had become common in my riding habits, on to better things now.
What year VTR do U have that U would still have OEM 208's? Those tires sucked *****.

Hell I had Avon sport touring tires & they were way better than 208's

Currently have Dunlop Qualifiers on it - but I too bought the Diablos - too cheap to pass up.
Old 05-20-2008, 02:46 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Stock tires were 204s. The next gen were the 207s, THEN came the 208s.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:10 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by Hawkrider
Stock tires were 204s. The next gen were the 207s, THEN came the 208s.
OK - they came stock on my '02. And they were not good for traction.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:11 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
I think all VTRs came with the 204s. My '03 did. Interesting because I think Dunlop discontinued marketing of the 204 in 1999!
Old 05-20-2008, 05:06 PM
WERA #44
Superstock

happytrack44 is on a distinguished road
Really appreciate the heads up. Bought a set 2 days ago to put on the set of 6 spokers for the next upgrade. (900rr rear, f3 front)
Old 05-21-2008, 12:36 AM
KindredGhost
Back Marker

KindredGhost is on a distinguished road
I just had those same tires put on my bike today (Pirelli Diablo). I rode pretty conservatively for the first 80 miles... but feel pretty comfortable leaning somewhat hard on them now. HUGE difference from my dunlop 208's... which absolutely SUCKED. Well... in retrospect, they probably weren't that bad... but I would buy them again.

At any rate... i love me some pirelli diablos. I feel more confident nailing a turn now more than ever... and i have less than 100 miles on them. Now... if only something could be done about our mediocre gas mileage...

KG
Old 05-21-2008, 06:17 PM
Superstock

hey 22, thanks for the info.

I did my homework last week and finally got a good understanding of Pirelli's past and current tire lineup. You are correct: The tires in question are Diablo and not Corsa (as I had thought).

Since I no longer own the Superhawk, I'll not get to try the Diablos on it.
But this I can say, the standard Pirelli Diablo is a superb tire on the 1000F.
They seem provide every bit as much grip as Pilot Powers and Qualifiers.
They absolutely humiliate Pilot Roads (last gen - I've not used the new Pilot Road).
They are the best performing "non high performance" tire I have ever used.
Old 05-22-2008, 03:21 PM
MotoGP

WHAT, NO MORE SH!!! Say it aint so! No problem you're still welcome here, any plans for something new or just going to ride the 1000f now?