General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

piece of crap is dead. again.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 09:33 AM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
piece of crap is dead. again.

So i sit here in the shade where i pushed my bike. Its dead. Again. Tries to start and makes a weezing sound and then dies off. Theres a new battery and newer reg in this thing. At this point I've had enough of this ****. This thing constantly gives me problems and this is the 4th time its left me stranded in a parking lot in under a year. Very unimpressed with it.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:11 AM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
what in the hell do you think it is, a honda or something? It's not a piece of ****, you just haven't found the problem yet. Don't feel bad, I did two r/rs and 2 batteries. Did you check your alternator for output? did you charge your own battery according to directions?

now quit whining and fix the ****** thing.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:11 AM
Back Marker

kj4kym is on a distinguished road
yeah days like this make you hate it, but on days when everythings good you wouldnt trade it for the world. sry to hear your having trouble. hope you get it fixed soon
Old 05-21-2011, 11:16 AM
SuperBike

naw im done with it. i wont sink any more money into this thing, itll get parted. battery was charged by my honda certified mechanic buddy. its only showing 11.6 volts right now. i boosted it off the kawi and its still only showing 11.6 volts. i checked it last week after my ride it was 13.6ish. so i dont know whats dead, dont even care anymore. its really just starting to turn into a money pit and i dont really enjoy going out on it worrying ill get stranded somewhere when i stop for gas, like happened now. it died 45 km from my house. my towing service would have brought me back in that range for free. luckily another guy pulled up and helped my buddy who i was out with push it so that we could bump start it.

we checked the stator the last time i had a reg issue and it was working properly. and today was a great day to ride too. oh well, im gonna do some house work and maybe put my zx6 back together and plate that
Old 05-21-2011, 12:18 PM
SuperBike

well i just put the battery on the charger for a bit, it got to 12.4 volts. unplugged it, started it, and watched it drop voltage slowly. my guess is the stator has died.
Old 05-21-2011, 12:39 PM
MotoGP

yeah figured that may be the issue. **** happens. Our 93 ford van would not start sporadically, so i went through a bunch of **** til a guy helped and tapped the starter with a hammer and it started. So I put a new starter in it and in the process tested the old starter and it was fine. Screw it I'm puttin a new starter in anyway. The instructions with the new starter say that ford has been having a problem with the copper wire to the starter corroding and it needs 4" cut off and replaced. That little piece of info cost me several hours and 120 big ones.

The point is that there is good or bad and no magic, it's strictly a matter of finding the culprit, fixin it and movin on. Now there's that matter of adjusting the valves. haha

rick's electrics if you can't get a stator.
Old 05-21-2011, 12:57 PM
SuperBike

i found some on ebay. i honestly wont fix it and deal with electrical gremlins. the bike is too old for me to screw around with and id really like something fuel injected this thing is such a finicky bitch when it comes to weather, randomly stalling when it gets hot, pops when its cold, pops when its hot, runs great in the middle, lol. plus im ready for a bit more power and a more modern suspension setup and id rather cut my losses now and move on to something newer

i hear ya with the wiring, one of my gm vehicles had a wiring issue, my mechanic couldnt find it, ended up going to gm to sort it out. it would randomly die and not start, gave all the symptoms of the passloc security system being activated. it was housed in the guage cluster so a new one is needed, i went through 3 used ones and it turns out one of the power wires going to the computer had corroded on the inside. this is all due to gms infinate wisdom and sticking the computer under the pass headlight. yeah great place for it, lol.
Old 05-21-2011, 01:50 PM
Superstock

evines is on a distinguished road
You might not care right now, but I was having the same issues, and it was my R/R.

I want a fuel injected bike, too, and one with ABS and traction control. Just too poor to justify spending money on a new bike when mine's still working fine and is reliable.
Old 05-21-2011, 02:07 PM
SuperBike

it likely is the reg, i talked to my honda mechanic buddy he said the stator is hard to damage and its likely the reg. ill test the stator in a few minutes, just looking for the info on here on doing it. abs and traction control arent needed to me, fuel injection is a must. but all my buddies ride newer faster bikes and while through the twisties i can hang with most of them if not beat them, on the straights the old girl doesnt have enough go to keep up. plus the loud twin draws too much attention to me lol.
Old 05-21-2011, 03:15 PM
SuperSport

Stevebis1 is on a distinguished road
Dude, you are sounding really down. Might be time for a change, I get the reliability thing. If you can't trust her you can't have fun with her.

DIBS ON YOUR 320mm EBC ROTORS

I called it. If you're walkin away they are mine!
Old 05-21-2011, 07:40 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by uchi
it likely is the reg, i talked to my honda mechanic buddy he said the stator is hard to damage and its likely the reg. ill test the stator in a few minutes, just looking for the info on here on doing it. abs and traction control arent needed to me, fuel injection is a must. but all my buddies ride newer faster bikes and while through the twisties i can hang with most of them if not beat them, on the straights the old girl doesnt have enough go to keep up. plus the loud twin draws too much attention to me lol.
It would be ashamed to lose you, but if you're using the bike hard and trying to beat you're buddies, it's probably a good idea to upgrade maybe every 4-5 years, depending on new model advancements. I agree with the not needing the ABS, traction control, et al because I like to do it all myself for me simpler is better. I think it's Josh Hayes that has all that tech **** disabled and he does just fine winning.
Old 05-21-2011, 08:58 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
FWIW my buddy continuously had charging issue's, burnt stator, burnt r/r until he swapped out the entire harness. The wiring in the harness got cooked when the original r/r failed causing excessive resistance and future failures.
Old 05-22-2011, 02:25 AM
Squid

supertrooper is on a distinguished road
i would always have problems starting when i stoped using a battery tender. i dont ride it much and the battery stopped holding a charge and coildnt start the bike. two batteries later and keeping the battery tender hooked up and the problem went away. i had a couple times that i got gas and then it took a few trys to start. not a good feeling a hundred miles from home.

how much do you want for your speedohealer if you part it out.
Old 05-22-2011, 03:39 AM
Superstock

archaicguy is on a distinguished road
Sorry to hear that uchi. I myself expect to get on my bike and ride to where ever I want to go without the fear of breaking down. If mine had left me stranded as often as yours I think I would have moved on to something else also. Good Luck to you
Old 05-22-2011, 05:51 AM
SuperBike

thanks guys, im gonna swap in another reg and see if it sells first. i listed it last night on a local forum. if it doesnt get any interest in the next couple weeks ill part it out. steve ill keep you in mind for the rotors and pm you about them when everything goes up

not sure what ill ask for the speedohealer, itll be a fair price for everything to get it out of the garage. good chance ill still hang around here as i enjoy this group quite a bit

the bike is always on the tender, anytime its in the garage its connected. my kawi is aswell and so is my quad. hell my quad has the original battery from 03 in it still and i only started using a tender a couple years ago on it. used to let it die over the winter, wouldnt even pull it out. its a tough bastard in there.

ive got some electrical contact cleaner ill spray on the connector when i swap the rr out and then give it some dielectric grease. i figure i have a better chance selling a running bike than one with a dead rr. see how it goes. like i said im just tired of worrying about this thing not starting all the time, and because of its track record everytime i go out on it thats all i can think about.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:02 AM
Back Marker

20_rc51_00 is on a distinguished road
I have just settled to pulling the odo fuse and leaving it out. I never have to have it on the tender enymore and it starts just fine, battery si strong...
Old 05-22-2011, 09:58 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Hey your bike was one of the 3% that got called yesterday......
Old 05-23-2011, 01:50 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
thanks guys, im gonna swap in another reg and see if it sells first. i listed it last night on a local forum. if it doesnt get any interest in the next couple weeks ill part it out. steve ill keep you in mind for the rotors and pm you about them when everything goes up

not sure what ill ask for the speedohealer, itll be a fair price for everything to get it out of the garage. good chance ill still hang around here as i enjoy this group quite a bit

the bike is always on the tender, anytime its in the garage its connected. my kawi is aswell and so is my quad. hell my quad has the original battery from 03 in it still and i only started using a tender a couple years ago on it. used to let it die over the winter, wouldnt even pull it out. its a tough bastard in there.

ive got some electrical contact cleaner ill spray on the connector when i swap the rr out and then give it some dielectric grease. i figure i have a better chance selling a running bike than one with a dead rr. see how it goes. like i said im just tired of worrying about this thing not starting all the time, and because of its track record everytime i go out on it thats all i can think about.
Well, I hate kicking people when they are down, but I have said this a couple of times before... More than once to you, and about a dozen of times to others... Swapping the R/R, or battery, or stator is just fixing the symptoms, not the root cause...

The root cause in 99% of the cases where any of the of the above things fail, is bad wiring... Bad could mean a lot of things... But usually it mean's corrosion, causing resistance and as a result voltage drop, and heat...

I don't even have to guess, I can say for pretty sure you haven't gone over the wiring, cleaning, measuring and fixing it... And if you don't, swapping the other components is just a temporary fix...

Fix the root cause, then swap the R/R... And your bike will become reliable... For you or the next owner... It's a bit of time and effort, not a simple swap, so most people seem to avoid it, but it pays off... A lot...

What ever you decide, stick around, we like you...
Old 05-23-2011, 04:37 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by 20_rc51_00
I have just settled to pulling the odo fuse and leaving it out. I never have to have it on the tender enymore and it starts just fine, battery si strong...
May work for you but I couldn't live without the odometer because many times it's more than 20 miles to go juice. Would have to revert to the paper/pencil method. I had a battery tender first and the orig battery went over ten years. Now I use a Batter Minder which is supposed to keep the plates clean(?) and rotate it between two bikes.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:44 AM
Superstock

sheldonsl is on a distinguished road
Pulling the odometer fuse seemed to come out of left field. What does that do? Other than disable the odometer, of course.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:48 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
Hey your bike was one of the 3% that got called yesterday......
haha if it did i should end its ;ofe woth my shotgun before they come for it, lol
Old 05-23-2011, 05:53 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Tweety
Well, I hate kicking people when they are down, but I have said this a couple of times before... More than once to you, and about a dozen of times to others... Swapping the R/R, or battery, or stator is just fixing the symptoms, not the root cause...

The root cause in 99% of the cases where any of the of the above things fail, is bad wiring... Bad could mean a lot of things... But usually it mean's corrosion, causing resistance and as a result voltage drop, and heat...

I don't even have to guess, I can say for pretty sure you haven't gone over the wiring, cleaning, measuring and fixing it... And if you don't, swapping the other components is just a temporary fix...

Fix the root cause, then swap the R/R... And your bike will become reliable... For you or the next owner... It's a bit of time and effort, not a simple swap, so most people seem to avoid it, but it pays off... A lot...

What ever you decide, stick around, we like you...
bullshit, you like having me cause you enjoy picking on me, haha.

ive cleaned what i could get to, ive cleaned any ground i could find, i even added a ground from the green wire and grounded it through the rr into the subframe. so yes ive half listened to you

the only thing i can think of now is heat. with the gixxer tail there isnt much room to mount the reg on the side where it was on the hawk tail, so if i remember right its mounted pretty much in the center of the tail section behind my ***. add an under tail and i think it may be getting too hot in there. thoughts on that? i think with the next rr i may modify some of the lower tail section to mount it in a spot that itll cool a bit better. i cant see it getting too much air in there.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:04 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by sheldonsl
Pulling the odometer fuse seemed to come out of left field. What does that do? Other than disable the odometer, of course.
slight draw on battery due to memory function i believe.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:48 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by nath981
slight draw on battery due to memory function i believe.
thats some prolonged stuff. ive left mine in the garage for a month at a time without the charger. change that, i thought i had plugged in the trickle charger but instead connected it to the cap that goes over the bikes side of the connector while in a rush to get in the house. and it still started without a problem.
Old 05-24-2011, 04:19 AM
SuperBike

just an update for those following, yanked the tail, and as i was doing so i could smell that smell. the dead burnt rr smell. pull it off and the wires were a nice black color and melted leading into the connector. what makes it better is the plug was stuck in the rr. so i cut the wires back until they were the right color again and im gonna put a new plug on there. couldnt get the old one out. big thanks to inderocker for a great deal on a replacement rr to get this thing going again.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:16 AM
Back Marker

insider is on a distinguished road
fuel injection is a must. but all my buddies ride newer faster bikes and while through the twisties i can hang with most of them if not beat them, on the straights the old girl doesnt have enough go to keep up. plus the loud twin draws too much attention to me lol.
Correct me if I'm mistaking, but carburetor bikes have a quicker throttle response than fuel injected bikes. Not to mention a carburetor bike can be fixed more easily then a FI bike.. (if you got the skills & tools).
The only upside for FI is reduced fuel consumption on some models..

I feel you on the 'straights' , happens to me as well, but in my humble opinion biking isn't about the straights. If it would be about straights, get a ZX12R (cheap & f**ing fast).

Most of us got the VTR exactly for what it delivers: torque, sound, feeling.

You can always get a Ducati 1198 S and ruin your friends' day on the twisties/straights etc..

And last but not least, you really can't bitch about the sound.
You installed the pipes, you bought the VTR and further more,the sound & feel of v-twin is the main reason many of us got the bike...

I know it feels like **** when bike doesn't run, and it drives you mad when you can't pin point the fuc.ker, but no bike is perfect.....and as tweety said, you got to pinpoint the root cause.

My only disappointment with this bike is the fuel consumption...but after doing some math, I've got 8.6 L/100km in town and 6.8 L/100km outside town (120-160 km/h) and 8.0 L /100km h outside town 170-230 km/h

Cheerios and hope you keep the old gal
Old 05-24-2011, 05:53 AM
SuperSport

98VTRrider is on a distinguished road
big thanks to inderocker for a great deal on a replacement rr to get this thing going again.

As if you could leave us that easily. You're already in process of the fix. Hope you get it sorted out permanently.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:25 AM
SuperBike

Ill stick around i enjoy this group of riff raff. But the bike is being fixed to sell

The fuel economy isn't my reason for going fi. Ontario weather bounces around all over the place and its a significant enough change through the day that the bike only runs good for a part of it. It either gets too hot or too cold during some of it for it to run smooth. Plus i want something faster. The bike is a great handling bike and i ride the **** out of it but id like more power and dont want to open the motor for it.
As for noise. Yeah i made it loud and i love the sound but its the only one of its kind in my area and the cops already know who i am. Lol. So time to upgrade to something faster and less noticeable
Old 05-24-2011, 09:09 AM
Mid-level Member
Superstock

fred
Ill stick around i enjoy this group of riff raff. But the bike is being fixed to sell

The fuel economy isn't my reason for going fi. Ontario weather bounces around all over the place and its a significant enough change through the day that the bike only runs good for a part of it. It either gets too hot or too cold during some of it for it to run smooth. Plus i want something faster. The bike is a great handling bike and i ride the **** out of it but id like more power and dont want to open the motor for it.
As for noise. Yeah i made it loud and i love the sound but its the only one of its kind in my area and the cops already know who i am. Lol. So time to upgrade to something faster and less noticeable
as far as the weather flux goes, carbs man. carbs. when they are dialed in for your setup, the bike runs good once warmed up. mine was running great in cold, hot, rain until the CCT failed.... :-)

what kind of bike are you gonna get? gonna buy used or new or don't know yet?

who said there's no advantage to FI up there? i would love to get a bike with FI that i didn't need to nurse up to OT when it is f**king cold out.

hope you stick around. you are a Grade A Lister.

--fred
Old 05-24-2011, 09:47 AM
SuperBike

Thanks Fred. The carbs are setup pretty good we just get some big temp fluctuations here and they mess with the bike at times and i don't feel like pulling the carbs for the different parts of riding season. Its tolerable but i just dont like it. She gets hot in traffic and starts dieing and stuff.

As for a bike. I can't justify brand new prices so it'll be a few year old bike. Thinking either cbr1k or 750 gixxer. I like the 750s they make good power and are light enough to throw around

Quick Reply: piece of crap is dead. again.