General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

pair system closure

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 03:15 PM
Superstock

ClevelandSuperhawkRumble
pair system closure

yes... i know, im abusing this site like an animal. my post to reply ratio is about 432332432432 : 1 . anyways, i went to the knowledgebase and hoped to find the pair system removal to be thorough, but its not... not if you dont know what the heck anything looks like ! ! ! im new to this SH , and it said something about removing a valve and making it permanently closed (cant remember, was last night) , but i am like most guys, who hate directions and love pics. i dont know what to look for is my problem.... got the concept, but dont know what it looks like...

p.s. ... anyone have any other maintenance tips while i am under the tank? (ie: carb synch, jetting, needle work)
Old 03-16-2005, 04:21 PM
Squid

demetri
did you see the PAIR link on; Greg's VTR page?
Old 03-16-2005, 04:36 PM
faz
Superstock

faz
Re: pair system closure

the picture below is from Greg's site. You don't really need to remove the whole thing, just unplug the hoses from the Pair control valve (hoses that go to each cylinder head), and connect them to each other using some connector hose or something. This way there is no fresh air being introduced to the cylinder heads from the control valve.
Old 03-16-2005, 07:02 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road

Get a service manual or if you are just too damn cheap, I'll burn you a CD version. The SM doesn't cover the pair mod, of course, but you would be able to understand it by using the good pics in the manual.

Wanna' an easy pair mod? Leave everything alone and just pull the hoses off on top of the valve covers and stick a rubber "cork" into the metal tube and then slip the hoses back on. Done.
Old 03-17-2005, 03:15 AM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
Is this true? About the rubber hoses? You don't HAVE to remove the PAIR valve, flip it around, and reinstall it?

I guess I didn't consider this when wrenching on my bike because that solution sounds too easy...gonna have to go back in there and do some plugging.
Old 03-17-2005, 07:36 AM
SuperSport

jschmidt
It's basically everything between the hoses on the valve covers to the hoses on/in the airbox. Two Brothers makes some nice block off caps for the valve covers if you want to clean up the look. Plastic caps cover the holes in the airbox.

If you start with the hoses on the valve covers, its pretty easy to figure out what to trash.
Old 03-17-2005, 09:09 AM
Superstock

ClevelandSuperhawkRumble

well guys, i flipped the reeds around on both pair valves... still backfire... theres even a blue flame that wont go away when i decelerate from 5k... it just pops out the back. again, these are very open pipes.... MIGs i guess are like racing pipes or something. think its runnin rich?
Old 03-17-2005, 10:22 AM
faz
Superstock

faz

Originally Posted by superbling";p=&quot
Wanna' an easy pair mod? Leave everything alone and just pull the hoses off on top of the valve covers and stick a rubber "cork" into the metal tube and then slip the hoses back on. Done.
that would work too!
Old 03-17-2005, 10:26 AM
faz
Superstock

faz
Originally Posted by marmaladeboy";p=&quot
Is this true? About the rubber hoses? You don't HAVE to remove the PAIR valve, flip it around, and reinstall it?

I guess I didn't consider this when wrenching on my bike because that solution sounds too easy...gonna have to go back in there and do some plugging.
It is true!

Even from Greg's side, you will see that the valves are one directional only, i.e. they only allow gas to flow into the heads. By plugging them, or simply connecting the hoses together, you will be blocking the fresh air from getting in there.
Old 03-20-2005, 01:36 PM
Superstock

ClevelandSuperhawkRumble

got it guys.. thanks.
Old 03-20-2005, 04:54 PM
Back Marker

HotStreetVTR

Two Brothers Racing has discontinued PAIR blank-off plates for the VTR and, when I contacted them, had none remaining in back-stock. Even so, you can make two plates yourself, by cutting two rectangular plates of aluminum and drilling holes to match the existing plate's bolt-mounting pattern.

There's also an easier way: Get a packet of assorted heat-resistant vaccum plugs, and use high-temp RTV to glue them in place in the nozzles of the OEM PAIR plates. This worked for me, and I threw away the hoses, etc., and have had no problems with vaccum leak/PAIR farting.

cheers,
--HotStreetVTR