General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Over heating 996

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 09:58 PM
Squid

LuvMy996 is on a distinguished road
Over heating 996

Hello to all. I just joined the forum. I have a 1999 Superhawk and seems when I do some good distance ridding my bike wants to overheat. I have checked the pump and know that it is connected to the motor and it works fine when the bike is on. Fans working fine. Flushed it and put in new coolant. But seems that no matter what it goes past the half way point on the guage and to the touch it seems to me to be hot. One time last season it got so hot it released to the overflow tank. No coolant in the oil or anything like that. Only thing I have not checked is the cap!! Can a pressure cap be bad if it does not leak? from the cap? And it is not over flowing to the overflow unless it gets to hot... Any help would be greatly appreciated...I just want to ride free and not worry about it...
Old 05-21-2013, 10:11 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Change out the cap and you should be fine.
There is a Stant P\N if you want to save some $$ but you will have to do a search to find it.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:07 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by LuvMy996
Hello to all. I just joined the forum. I have a 1999 Superhawk and seems when I do some good distance ridding my bike wants to overheat. I have checked the pump and know that it is connected to the motor and it works fine when the bike is on. Fans working fine. Flushed it and put in new coolant. But seems that no matter what it goes past the half way point on the guage and to the touch it seems to me to be hot. One time last season it got so hot it released to the overflow tank. No coolant in the oil or anything like that. Only thing I have not checked is the cap!! Can a pressure cap be bad if it does not leak? from the cap? And it is not over flowing to the overflow unless it gets to hot... Any help would be greatly appreciated...I just want to ride free and not worry about it...
Going past the halfway point on the oldschool manual gauage isn't overheating... It's normal... On that gauge, normal temp is between half and the next bar... After that, then it's actually overheating...
Old 05-22-2013, 07:59 AM
Back Marker

ascothawk is on a distinguished road
radiator cap cross reference
An alternate to oem is Stant #10233 available at Advance Auto for 7.49. 1.1 bar=16lb. I found my gasket was split on the original cap while I was changing coolant. I also found my overflow bottle was plugged. I unhooked the overflow hose to drain the bottle and nothing came out. I used my compressor to clear the blockage while flushing the bottle with a hose and let the sediment float out.Just wanted to share this because the overflow function probably rarely gets tested
Old 05-22-2013, 08:04 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Tweety
Going past the halfway point on the oldschool manual gauage isn't overheating... It's normal... On that gauge, normal temp is between half and the next bar... After that, then it's actually overheating...
+1 Do the fans kick off when at speed? What's your ambient temp?
Old 05-24-2013, 04:15 PM
Squid

Thanks guys I will check the overflow and replace the cap. The ambient temp is to be determined have not rode her yet this year.. Going through the whole bike this year, brakes and so on. I appreciate all the feedback. Thanx
Old 05-24-2013, 04:17 PM
Squid

Thanks for the cross reference also...
Old 05-24-2013, 10:34 PM
GTS
Seasoned tech
SuperSport

GTS is on a distinguished road
The recovery bottle should always have coolant rise up in it when the engine is hot. As the coolant gets hot it expands and pushes coolant to the bottle. If it's not pushing coolant into the bottle you are low on coolant. It should always have coolant up to the full lines and should go up and down as the engine gets hot and cools off.