General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

out of gas!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 04:28 PM
SuperSport

Stevebis1 is on a distinguished road
out of gas!

So I'm sitting here in a veterinarians parking lot about 2.5 miles From my house out of gas. Wife is out and doesn't answer her cell. Light went on about 125 and now it says 147. I guess I pushed to far. Sigh... At leat I have my blackberry
Old 07-28-2009, 05:26 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
Been there... pushed my old hawk over 5 miles to a gas station once.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:03 PM
SuperSport

Back home, all gassed up
But...
What the frig is up with this ALLEGED 4.23 gallons?!?
I'm still relatively new to my Hawk, but I've read all the posts bitching about the small tank, the low gass mileage, etc. But I never figured I'd be one of the ones caught out of gas.
I can do math in my head and this doesn't add up.
Wife finally came back from shopping and brought me the lawn mower gas can. Put at MOST 3/4 gallon in the tank and then rode another 3 miles to the gas station. Filled her up to the very top - 2.97 gallons.
It seems at best I've got 3.7 usable gallons in my tank.
Is that really what others are seeing?

Inde - you pushed her 5 miles?!? She is a lot lighter than my last ride but pushing her 400 ft to the parking lot was plenty for me
Old 07-28-2009, 07:03 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Been there. Seemed like my friggin light came on and a few miles later I was out! Sputtered and died & coasted into a gas station and of course they're CLOSED. She tried so hard and even started back up and seemed to run on one cylinder about halfway to the next station lol. Had to push pretty far but I'm paranoid and was relieved when I filled it up and it ran perfect again.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:05 PM
Slacker
Superstock
Superstock

BeerHunter is an unknown quantity at this point
When I took mine out for the first time, after rebuilding from the previous owner's misfortune, I turned left to go to the gas station 2 miles away when I should have gone right to the one on the next corner. I made it within a quarter mile and had to push her the last bit. It took 3.8 gallons from an empty tank to fill to the brim while standing straight up. Your situation is not unusual at all.

The capacity given is for the internal air volume and not how much liquid you can put into it, as is true with most any vehicular gas tank on the road. Something about gasoline expansion with temperature increase perhaps. I believe the reserve light comes on with 0.7 gallons remaining, so what you describe seems accurate. I never try to go much more than 15 miles with the warning light on.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:24 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
I ran it extremely low once and was able to get 4.0x gallons back into it. I guess it all depnds on how crazy you get with topping it off.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:26 PM
SuperSport

Mellow Yellow and all - just figured I'd get gas sooner or later
Old 07-28-2009, 07:35 PM
Squid

jhiker229 is on a distinguished road
I did the same thing 2 weeks ago. Stretched it out just a bit too long before getting to the gas station. I lucked out tho I was able to coast downhill most of the way. I only had to push it to the pump once inside the station. Felt like a dumb@ss all the same. Yikes 5 miles that ain't much fun. I think i wood have walked to the gas station bought a couple bottles of snapple or something and fueled them up after emptying them. Now as soon as the light comes on i head for the nearest gas station. Brand loyalty went right out the window.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:52 PM
Squid

justscoutin is on a distinguished road
betcha wish you had a gatorade bottle of fuel under the seat eh? pushing sucks.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:11 PM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
I see no big deal on the tank size and distance.

I fill up at 100 miles, which is when my light comes on.

I never push past 20 miles on reserve.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:17 PM
Honducati
SuperSport

jbaxx is on a distinguished road
+1 Never go farther than 20 miles on reserve.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:42 PM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
See i figure it this way, i have had my VTR 8 years (wheww that is along time) so i have fine tuned her and have a good feeling how long she will go before i am walking.

I get 33 mpg nealry every time i check it (yes i know that is not 40 and i could care less) i have the carbs tuned right in the dyno sweet spot for air/fuel ratio from 2k to red line.

I hardly ever use 5th or 6th gear as the roads here are tight and twisty.

33 MPG means my light always comes on at 100 mile range + / - couple of miles.

Reserve is 3/4 gallon and simple math says i will be walking if i push her past 20 miles on reserve.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:53 PM
large member
Squid

afm528 is on a distinguished road
another data point: I was able to take on 3.35 gallons of fuel about two miles after my reserve light went on. That was with the bike upright (not leaned over) and the fuel right up to the top of the lip.
Old 07-29-2009, 05:10 AM
SuperSport

Thanks - I appreciate the info. Now I know - 15~20 or I'll be walking.
I usually get just under 40mpg. I know from experience that when the light comes on she takes about 3.1 gal (leaned over). And I know 0.7 gal is given as the reserve. I just had it in my head I could go all 4.2 gallons regardless of the stated reserve.
I'm a touch smarter now
Hey, at least I could sit under a tree and read this forum while I was waiting to hear from my wife!
Old 07-29-2009, 01:27 PM
Back Marker

revhead1957 is on a distinguished road
I don't know if you guys get a slightly different tank build, but I found if you fill up past the bar below the lip, then it just goes out the tank vent hose, so now I don't bother trying to squeeze every last drop in by standing it up etc.
Old 07-29-2009, 03:05 PM
Back Marker

Vega (streetfighter) is on a distinguished road
I just scratch my head reading all the problems that are posted with sub 100 mile range and not fueling to the top.

Five days a week I fill my tank to the brim, about 3.2-3.5 gallons depending on how empty it gets from the 120 mile round trip commute. I have never gotten the vapor lock or whatever others have complained about from filling up. Most of the time my RED LIGHT OF DEATH hasn't even come on yet by the time I get home after 120 miles.

My whole daily commute is all Bay Area freeways with out any traffic at the times I ride so the average speed is 80-85 just like the rest of the maniacs out here. (With the occasional triple digit roll on when no one is around)

Stock gearing. K&N filter, rejetted and Leo Vinci Slip ons. Just so weird how much everyones fuel range varies.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:00 AM
Who are you?
SuperSport

Just_Nick is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Vega (streetfighter)
I just scratch my head reading all the problems that are posted with sub 100 mile range and not fueling to the top.

Five days a week I fill my tank to the brim, about 3.2-3.5 gallons depending on how empty it gets from the 120 mile round trip commute. I have never gotten the vapor lock or whatever others have complained about from filling up. Most of the time my RED LIGHT OF DEATH hasn't even come on yet by the time I get home after 120 miles.

My whole daily commute is all Bay Area freeways with out any traffic at the times I ride so the average speed is 80-85 just like the rest of the maniacs out here. (With the occasional triple digit roll on when no one is around)

Stock gearing. K&N filter, rejetted and Leo Vinci Slip ons. Just so weird how much everyones fuel range varies.
I got 100 miles on 2.5 gallons.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:33 AM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
It vary so much because the super is very picky about its best spot for economy I get a range from 30 mpgs when riding light to light in town to 42 mpgs at 75 to 80 mph in 6th.

On my last trip my light came on and I didn't fill up at the first gas station I saw about 3 mi later, thinking I will find a major company gas station in a few miles. Well back on the hw ten or so miles later and I am looking at a sign saying the next town is 25 miles ahead. So I am thinking I am not going to make it. Maybe on a flat road but we are climbing up and down a mountain pass. Springbubba is behind me so I wave him by and I drafted him through the mountains all the way to the gas station so on .7 gallons I got 50+ mpg, via drafting two to three feet back. For comparison Springbubba's light came on ten miles after mine and he ended up putting in slightly more gas than I did. It was close though. We both filled 3.9 gallons. The one time I ran out of gas I put in 4.0 gallons.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:38 AM
Post Whore Junior
MotoGP

Cleveland is on a distinguished road
When I top the tank as far as it'll hold without running out the filler.. I RLOD @ 130 miles.. I've made 150 on a tank and it was still running fine, but I was cold sweating and looking hard for a fuel station by then.. even then I could only get in 3.5-3.6 gallons...
Old 08-11-2009, 08:53 AM
Back Marker

REDVTR1000 is on a distinguished road
My hawk is a 1998. My reserve light has never been operational since i bought the bike (found this out about a day after i bought it by running out of gas). I am +2 in the rear and -1 in the front and the bike has about 20k on the clock. no matter how i ride i can go 100 mi on a tank no problem. if i am feeling froggy i go 110. when i hit the station i only have to get about 2.9 gallons of gas before i am at the lip (bike on the sidestand). I just use my trip odometer for a gas gauge and i have never gone wrong.

Side note: anyone notice the hawk runs smoother with a full tank?

YMMV