General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Finally ran it out of gas last night @ 3.99 gallons.

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 09:50 AM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
Finally ran it out of gas last night @ 3.99 gallons.

I was on my way back from the ballpark, 28 miles with the red light on, and it finally cut out as I was exiting the freeway. I was able to coast two blocks and nurse it to the gas station by standing on the bike and leaning on the left side.

She took 3.99 gallons filled to the brim. And of course some mooch at the station asked me for free gas, happens almost every time these days, I guess people here don't like working.

I guess I could've made it home safely with better mileage if I wasn't doing triple digits!

So where is my extra 2/10th of a gallon?
Old 09-12-2008, 10:00 AM
Superstock

sassage is on a distinguished road
sitting in your tank...while the capacity is 4.2, many fuel pickups cannot get every drop. you'll hear people refer to 'usable capacity'....that's what they're talking about
Old 09-12-2008, 10:03 AM
Superstock

my VTX is fuel injected with an in tank fuel pump...I modified the pickup in the tank and can get 5.25 gallons of its 5.3 capacity....coasted it into the gas station much like you did.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:22 AM
Back Marker

REDVTR1000 is on a distinguished road
people really come up and ask you for free gas? that is fucked up. I would love to see someone try to pull that in boston!
Old 09-12-2008, 11:42 AM
SuperSport

And they get pissed if you're honest, but I don't like pandering to people.

I'm done with feeling like I need an excuse to say no. "Oh, I don't have any more money, I'm in a hurry, Sorry I can't afford it, bla bla bla". You're just wasting the beggar's time.

And she was driving an SUV too. Go figure. I told her to get a bike.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:52 AM
Back Marker

doggerman is on a distinguished road
I'd like to thank you for doing that and will add it to my hawk knowledge.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:08 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by sassage
sitting in your tank...while the capacity is 4.2, many fuel pickups cannot get every drop. you'll hear people refer to 'usable capacity'....that's what they're talking about

So how do you like the throttlemeister? I'm considering getting one. It seems a little awkward to grab the bar ends while riding, but I can get used to it. Isn't it quite a bit larger diameter than the grip?

First I need to determine whether I've got the "new style" or "old style" helibars on here, then I may order one.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:39 PM
SuperSport
SuperSport

gboezio is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CentralCoaster
And of course some mooch at the station asked me for free gas, happens almost every time these days, I guess people here don't like working.
I would let all the rage from the gas prices on him, You want free gas biotch "grabbing the MTF by the hairs and inserting the nozzle where ever it fits"
Damn a guy on a bicycle knocked on my door begging for cash to buy gas in the middle of the night during the spring, speechless I closed the door and he went away, my girlfriend comforted me telling me I haven't dreamed this whole thing
Old 09-12-2008, 12:56 PM
BANNED IN D.C.
SuperSport

Condor is on a distinguished road
All the ******* panhandlers.... When I was a young lad on patrol, when people would knock on others door for money or bother them for money while they were walking--- that was an immediate arrest. We didnt have an ordinance for panhandling, so I would just lock them up for disorderly conduct (the catch-all). I can't stand that ****. Get a job and leave the people who work alone.
Old 09-12-2008, 01:10 PM
Superstock

MUHerdFan is on a distinguished road
Begging for gas money? Really? Geez, at least the people around my parts pawn/sell stuff for gas money for panhandling for it.

My father sent me an email this morning. He is a chemical engineer for an oil company and one of their refineries shut down this morning for Hurricane Ike. BP's facility is next to theirs, and if Ike hits as hard as projected, he said that some electric motors will have to be dismantled for cleaning - this type of maintenance apparently takes a few months to complete. Oh, ****...better go fill up the tank.....
Old 09-12-2008, 01:27 PM
Superstock

So how do you like the throttlemeister? I'm considering getting one. It seems a little awkward to grab the bar ends while riding, but I can get used to it. Isn't it quite a bit larger diameter than the grip?

First I need to determine whether I've got the "new style" or "old style" helibars on here, then I may order one.
I like it a lot...not really that awkward (to me) to set it and then you can adjust the throttle position after it's set as it doesn't completely lock down the throttle position. you can still roll off and on the throttle.

fit and finish is great and does not look out of place a bit. unless you know what throttlemeisters are, you probably wouldn't think it's anything but a bar end.

and it's great to shake out that throttle hand every once in a while.
Old 09-12-2008, 01:54 PM
SuperSport

Yeah, plus if I squeeze the clutch in on the freeway to rest my throttle hand, the damn bike dies half the time!
Old 09-12-2008, 01:58 PM
SuperSport

The panhandlers here dress better than me.

My favorites:

A guy in a wheel chair holding a sign saying, "homeless, need gas money."

A guy in La Jolla with a sign, "homeless, need money for hotel room, god bless." (Hotel rooms here go for 100+ a night.)

I'm going to start taking pictures of them. I have nothing against homeless people, but panhandlers **** me off, and they're probably not homeless.

All the busy intersections outside of downtown San Diego have beggars. The cops don't care. As far as I can tell, they make at least a buck every time the light turns red. That's more than I make.
Old 09-12-2008, 02:10 PM
Superstock

our local news did a story on panhandlers and they showed a guy drive up and park several blocks away in a Cadillac and then go sit on the corner with a paper cup for hours

sounds like that's his full time job
Old 09-12-2008, 04:57 PM
SuperSport

haknslash is on a distinguished road
What?! People are actually knocking on other peoples doors in the middle of the night asking for money?!! This does not happen here in the deep south. You would get your head blown off by someones shotgun before you even knocked on the door. Mine stays loaded and near-by lol.
Old 09-12-2008, 06:15 PM
SuperSport
SuperSport

Originally Posted by haknslash
What?! People are actually knocking on other peoples doors in the middle of the night asking for money?!! This does not happen here in the deep south. You would get your head blown off by someones shotgun before you even knocked on the door. Mine stays loaded and near-by lol.
Well I had a baseball bat nearby, the guy was polite but looked like sanity left a while ago, it was about 11:30, my girlfriend did not sleep for the rest of the night after that.

I think we drifted
Old 09-13-2008, 06:23 PM
Squid

roadapple is on a distinguished road

And she was driving an SUV too. Go figure. I told her to get a bike.
+1
Old 09-13-2008, 07:11 PM
Squid

shawkpilot is on a distinguished road
The best panhandler sign I ever heard of was:

Parents killed by ninja's!
Need money for kung-foo lessons.

I think I'd give that guy money.
Old 09-13-2008, 09:23 PM
Remember stock is BAD!
SuperSport
SuperSport

divingindaytona is an unknown quantity at this point
The best panhandler sign I ever saw was down in Iowa, City Iowa:

***** too small for sex please help! I had to give the guy a buck or two for creativity

Last edited by divingindaytona; 09-13-2008 at 09:33 PM.
Old 09-13-2008, 10:11 PM
hardened stihl
Back Marker

vermontzx6r is on a distinguished road
ditto, the slide would be back on my walther if anyone approached my truck to ask for money while fueling. that's just absurd. If somone asked for gas I think i'd be so astonished I'd just stare.

some guy peddeled up to me and my buddy tonight while we were outside sitting on my tailgate talking about our bikes and the guy tried to sell us his mongoose. I know not everyone can make a solid 5 figures but I still see help wanted signs in gas stations everywhere so theres no excuse.

28 miles on the blinking light? good to know, I was wondering how far I could get on it.
Old 09-14-2008, 06:26 AM
I could ride in
SuperBike

LineArrayNut is on a distinguished road
Back when I was a tower worker, the crew cab pulled up to a light with a guy sitting on the island behind the ubiquitous sign "Vietnam Vet, Homeless, Will Work For Food, God Bless". Looked about 30 years old, lol! As we rolled to a stop he huddled behind the sign, pulled his crack pipe up and start hitting! My Marine buddy went ballistic and whipped the last half of his Snicker's bar at him, smacking solidly in the middle of the sign. Not missing a beat, the bum finished his bowl, and calmly picked up the candy bar. As we drove off he was munching away...

Somebody knocks on my door at 11:30 pm asking for money, they'll see a firearm.

Last edited by LineArrayNut; 09-14-2008 at 06:28 AM.
Old 09-16-2008, 04:50 PM
Superstock

RoofCleanPhenom is an unknown quantity at this point
LOL...

Well, first the gas:
My SuperHawk's a 98, has roughly a 4 gal tank.
I ran out of gas twice, that little red light only came on as the engine stalled. Yep, a "blip" of a flash, right as it ran outta fuel. My guess is the Hawk was laughing at me. The second time though, it wasn't messing around...
Didn't even flash at all!!
So of course, now no matter what... I re-fill every 100 miles.

Second:
LOL@asking for gas. You should tell them "Sure!"...Turn around, and give the best fart you ever farted. "There's your gas, *******"...
Yea I get that here in Fl every now & again..Normally I just tell them NO. Once or twice I told them to get a job.
Old 09-16-2008, 05:11 PM
SuperSport
SuperSport

Originally Posted by RoofCleanPhenom
LOL...

Well, first the gas:
My SuperHawk's a 98, has roughly a 4 gal tank.
I ran out of gas twice, that little red light only came on as the engine stalled. Yep, a "blip" of a flash, right as it ran outta fuel. My guess is the Hawk was laughing at me. The second time though, it wasn't messing around...
Didn't even flash at all!!
So of course, now no matter what... I re-fill every 100 miles.
I was wondering if the petcock has a reserve mode, I never really checked the height of the pickup down the tank, from under the tank it looks like a regular petcock stuffed down there without a ****, it turns to a few positions.
Old 09-17-2008, 03:09 PM
Superstock

RoofCleanPhenom is an unknown quantity at this point
Mine's a 98, I searched once after I ran out of fuel (while on the side of the road) for a fuel **** but didn't find much... And no, atleast my 98 doesn't have a reserve.
Old 09-17-2008, 03:41 PM
Squid
Squid

riderone is on a distinguished road
I ran mine a little low yesterday, I put in 3.73 gallons. That's as close to running out as I am willing.