General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

new to VTR's

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 08:40 PM
Squid

cccolin is on a distinguished road
new to VTR's

Hey guys,

just picked up a beat looking but pretty well running superhawk, bike #5 for me (sv650, 89 hawk, 01 FZ1, 01 ZRX), been having a ton of fun on it, have a couple questions.

First off, is there a FAQ somewhere? I looked around the site but didn't see one.

Beyond that:

What is there to look out for on these bikes? I saw the thing about the R/R's, the bike already has the manual CCT's done. Also has a new chain, new sprockets, new tires, fox shock, sonic springs. Has supposedly also been re-jetted, and has a 2-1 exhaust.

Now for the questions: I'm coming off a very well sorted and perfectly running ZRX (and a modded FZ1 before that), so maybe it's not a fair comparison, but acceleration seems really mild on this bike for a liter twin. Would that maybe be the 39t ring on the back?

It also seems to have a fairly narrow power band, and a short first gear. Now, keep in mind that the ZRX has face peeling torque and a very wide powerband...you almost shift for the hell of it, rather than needing to. is this typical?

and that growl, it's so good. but holy hell is it loud with the 2-1.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:16 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
I had a 1st gen FZ1 and they're really not in the same league power-wise. Yes, those two are a tough crowd, even more so with some light mods. The superhawk is going to feel pretty weak in comparison. "Like a sportster" I believe was my comparison when I owned my ZX12 lol and how my Hayabusa. But that's really not what this bike is about. Miss my FZ, with the light mods it had I can't really imagine a much finer all about sportbike... and yet a superhawk is always what remained in the garage when all the others eventually got sold. Hmmm...
Old 03-26-2015, 09:27 PM
Squid

yeah, dont get me wrong. I dont think it's all about the power. The handling on the SH is so much more nimble, fast, and light than the ZRX, for example. and it's definitely a better city bike. and the SH is a ton of fun, where the i4's could be just short of straight terrifying. but I put 10k on the ZRX in about 6 months, so I'm really used to that power, i guess.

I loved my FZ...for up to 25 minutes. after that it made my hands unbelievably numb, very, very fast, and no amount of mods or tuning would fix it.

I really like the superhawk, I was just surprised at how much more mild the roll-on power felt.

guess I'll just need one of both...
Old 03-27-2015, 04:50 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Welcome colin. I wouldn't call the VTRs powerband narrow. Mine pulls nice and strong all the way through the revs. 2-1 isn't optimal for this bike and you may need the carbs properly sorted. Maybe think about restoring the dual pipes and getting the fuel right.

Frequently asked questions are stickys in the knowledge base. Some of the other sections have stickys as well.

I've tried a few different gearing combos and 16/43 is where I like it. There are lots of opinion on that subject, a quick search will produce tons of results.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:44 AM
Squid

Thanks. I was wondering about the 2-1. What works best? 2-1-2? Is there a 2x 1-1 system?

Bike came with a 43. Guess I'll throw that on there and see what i think.
Old 04-08-2015, 08:54 AM
Back Marker

ZERO is on a distinguished road
I like the twin cans for the sound, actually. I have a ZX14R for my power requirements.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:57 AM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by cccolin
Thanks. I was wondering about the 2-1. What works best? 2-1-2? Is there a 2x 1-1 system?

Bike came with a 43. Guess I'll throw that on there and see what i think.
Search up some dyno charts of the VTR. It should have a nice spread of power all the way up to 9000 rpm. It will never have the power or torque of a ZRX or FZ1, but it should be a smooth, wide spread of power. Wolverine is right on the money.
Stock gearing is 16/41, so yours may be geared too tall. Many people prefer 16/43.
Lots of information here to help you get it right.
Old 04-09-2015, 07:59 AM
Squid

thanks all. yes, it's def geared too tall, it bogs down in second around corners in town. I have the 43 at home, I'll put that on when I get back home.

and yeah, I'm thinking I'll get a second bike for power...and long rides.
Old 04-09-2015, 09:36 AM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by cccolin
thanks all. yes, it's def geared too tall, it bogs down in second around corners in town. I have the 43 at home, I'll put that on when I get back home.

and yeah, I'm thinking I'll get a second bike for power...and long rides.
Maybe someone can chime in as to whether a 39T sprocket can be fit without shortening the chain. Just a thought, as it would be one of those moments if you had everything back together and found the chain too short.
Old 04-10-2015, 08:02 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by xeris
Maybe someone can chime in as to whether a 39T sprocket can be fit without shortening the chain. Just a thought, as it would be one of those moments if you had everything back together and found the chain too short.

the seller gave me a 43 with the bike and said it fits with the current chain.