General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

NEW VTR OWNER - ANY ADVICE?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 05:54 PM
Back Marker

CANADAVTR is on a distinguished road
NEW VTR OWNER - ANY ADVICE?

Hi, I'm buying a 98 VTR 1000 this week and I'm new to the forum. I have a Buell Lightning (which I decided to keep as they are worth zip since Harley dropped them) and wanted another great V twin...so the Honda seems like a good choice. I've read the write ups and all looks good.
The bike has 28,000 kms and is from a reputable dealer...anything I should know?
Old 11-03-2009, 06:25 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Read any of the "Newbie" or "Hello" threads in this section for the last 6 months and you should find everything you need to know.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:44 PM
Superstock

AngryOlaf is on a distinguished road
Welcome CANADAVTR!

I am a fairily new member myself and can give you a bit of a head start...
  • The CCTs (Cam Chain Tensioners) are prone to failing. There are manual replacements made by APE.
  • Rectifiers are also prone to issues and there are a few options for upgrading/replacing.
  • Stock suspension is soft... especially the forks. If you're on the big side and/or ride hard look into springs at the very least.
  • A lot of people hate the stock seat and there are differing opinions about Corbin vs. Sargent replacements.
  • There are a lot of other mods you can do to the bike, both performance and aesthetic-wise.
  • Search the forums before you ask a question or you're more likely to get harsh (but warranted) responses than answers.
  • If your bike is yellow, be glad you bought the fast version. If it's red you can still be happy that at least it's a VTR!
Old 11-03-2009, 06:47 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Damn! I should sticky this! Outstanding post, Olaf....except for the red VTR remark, that is.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:00 PM
Superstock

AngryOlaf is on a distinguished road
I've done quite a bit of reading here!

I could have gone on... but thought I would let him discover some of the crazier bike projects and Post Whoring Newbie Thread for himself.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:41 AM
Squid

bcwood is on a distinguished road
Best advice I can give is have fun! Not sure about which is the fastest, but blue is by far the prettiest.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:05 AM
Superstock

kmm996
Welcome.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:23 AM
Squid

NVDutchie is on a distinguished road
Can -
Well you may as well throw the Buell in the backyard and convert it to a planter ,
after you spend quality time with your RED VTR (great colour choice) I highly doubt
you will ever swing your leg over the Buell again !! haha

Olaf, great pointers having owned mine for about a yr. I have considered doing the same mods as well this winter ...
Old 11-04-2009, 08:44 AM
COBB Member
Superstock

stebbdt is on a distinguished road
Welcome, mmmm.... Titanium best looking, Red still the fastest hahahaha...
Old 11-04-2009, 10:21 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

FL02SupaHawk996 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by stebbdt
Welcome, mmmm.... Titanium best looking, Red still the fastest hahahaha...
+1
Old 11-04-2009, 03:33 PM
SuperSport

Crashrat is on a distinguished road
Howdy Canadavtr,

I joined just a few weeks ago myself after trading my Buell M2 for the VTR. I hit a rough spot financially and needed something a tad more reliable than the Cyclone -- yes, yes, yes, that left the field pretty wide open -- and was originally looking at F3s / F4s.

I got the VTR after a week of testing other bikes and I've been very happy.

Keep the Lightning if you can. Naysayers be damned, there is nothing like a Buell. The VTR is a lot more bike, but the Buell will still be more fun (when it's running). The biggest thing you'll miss is the quick steering when you're on the SH.

I've done around 1500 miles on my VTR so far and it's awfully nice not to worry about too much going wrong, but the CCT sounds wicked scary. You can do the rectifyer upgrade for pretty cheap if you keep an eye on Ebay. I have an updated version on my bike, but did a little clean up and added a CPU fan for peace of mind.

Only thing not mentioned here are the VERY low bars... Lots of options there -- VFR bars, Helebars, Superbike bar conversions -- but you can probably get used to stock if you give it a chance.

Randy
Old 11-04-2009, 05:33 PM
Back Marker

CANADAVTR is on a distinguished road
Thanks guys - great responses and sound advice! I can't wait to pick up the bike...though tonight we're at 2 degrees above freezing...oooerr!
I intend to keep the Buell, they are quirky but a lot of fun. Mine has a race kit and puts out around 85 horsepower, but only weighs 400 lbs and steers like a hare on steroids - they really can change direction just by rolling your eyeballs! You either love em or hate em!

I'll post pics of the VTR soon...cheers guys. NEW VTR OWNER - ANY ADVICE?-p1010797.jpg
Old 11-05-2009, 05:26 AM
Superstock

NCDave is on a distinguished road
welcome. I also have a buell, an XB9R. You'll find the hawk very similar in power delivery, but revs a bit more. In addition to the list above, I'd suggest attention to the front brakes. They are not as good as the Buell's. stainless steel lines are a good step, and some replace the caliper and even master cylinder with better components. You can find info on that in a search.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:41 AM
Calamari
Squid

Sleeper is on a distinguished road
Welcome. As you can see there are a bunch of helpful folks here on the forum. I would add mirrors to the list of eventual upgrades. What part of Canuck land are you from? Here in Edmonton the days are still warm enough to ride but standing 'water' stays frozen in shady areas of the back lane. Cheers.

-Darc
Old 11-05-2009, 05:56 AM
Squid

trevorh1 is on a distinguished road
Iv only had mine for about 6 months and rode about 7000 miles tho, i ride every chance i get Iv read alot on here just have not posted alot, all these guys seem to have good info, but i think the best info is just to ride it! its a blast to ride when you have all the power at the twist of your ride hand!