General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Touring with the Superhawk. Any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 08:10 PM
Squid

HamsVTR
Touring with the Superhawk. Any advice?

Hello fellow Superhawk/Firestorm affectionados. I may have the opportunity in the near future to stretch the old Superhawk's legs. My journey will be a straight shot west from Oklahoma to Southern California, mainly via I-40 with maybe a slight detour at landmarks. I'm looking forward to it as it will be my first long ride, however, that's when my lack of experience touring provokes me to ask for advice.

Has anyone taken their Superhawk on a long ride like this? Did you run into any mechanical problems with the bike? Mine's running like a champ ( knock on wood ), but the CCT worry is still there with the stock automatic ones. I've also heard the voltage rectifiers can overheat. My tires are still fresh and have plenty of meat on it and all the fluids are good. Stock seat.

I'll have to come up with a checklist of what to pack, but some of the things I can think of for emergency roadside are: tire repair kit, fuses, small tool kit, maybe an extra headlight bulb, duct tape, chain lube, flashlight, and AAA card.

Any advice will be warmly accepted. Thanks.
Old 04-10-2006, 08:32 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Nah, the bike is good to go if you've been keeping up with regular maintainence. Make sure you are on NEW tires, especially the rear, as interstate droning at high speeds in warm weather on a powerful bike just eats up the center section.

You've only talked about the bike but not yourself. What kind of shape are you in? Young/old, low/high miles rider? Done long days before?

This is my second superhawk and the few years in between have been significant at my age. I do 600-700 mile days on the bike but I now have to have high bars (superbike bar kit), lowered pegs, and a custom seat. Add a throttle lock and a long range VFR tank and me and my bike can get nearly 200 mile fuel range but I rarely ride that slow for that long of period. Just can't do it! :-)

Add pain relievers to you must haves. I also like to have a 12V cigarette lighter plug power source. Nice to power the cell phone or camera if you forget to charge batteries. Another key stored in a secure place. A credit card and cell phone can solve just about most problems (assuming you stick to interstates for cell coverage out west).

HAVE FUN!
Old 04-10-2006, 08:55 PM
Squid

HamsVTR
Thanks Superbling.

I'm 26 and being in the Air Force, I'm required to be in tip top shape. My belly is growing a little from the beers, but overall, I feel up to it. I'm, unfortunately, separating from the beloved force, thus the opportunity for this little adventure.

The most I've ridden was about 250 miles in one day. I would've gone more, but I would've also been AWOL and that wouldn't fly too well with my commander. I think the stock seat would be the most uncomfortable part of the trip, but I'll take frequent stops to wiggle my bum back to life.

Thanks for the pain relievers suggestion. I'm going to need it.

I'll need to plan out an itinerary and make reservations for lodging, but that's the easy part.
Old 04-10-2006, 09:24 PM
Superstock

Brian A is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Touring with the Superhawk. Any advice?

As mentioned above:
Spare key (be safe and make it two spare keys)
Throttle lock.
Camera
all the rest you have mentioned.
You can only prepare for so much. The rest, well you just have to deal with if it happens.
Kinda' like being in the military, right?

Oh, make that camera a digital camera so you can post some pics of your adventure here for us to enjoy!

Two more things - a rain suit and ear plugs!
Old 04-10-2006, 09:55 PM
Back Marker

RonVTR
The biggest problem I had was the limited range. In one instance I had to wait ~20 min for the gas station to open. Since you're on the interstate that shouldn't be a problem for you though.

My list: Heli Bars, Corbin seat, Throttle lock, Kidney belt, Taller wind screen, Zenrails with soft luggage, ear plugs.
Old 04-10-2006, 10:17 PM
Squid

HamsVTR
I'm running Kidney Belt through my brain, but I'm coming up with nothing. Are my kidneys in danger?
Old 04-11-2006, 01:18 AM
Back Marker

RonVTR
They're not something new... been around for quite awile. Old dirt bike riders used to wear them (you have a dirt bike ). Pardon the lame old-age wise-crack, however, at 106 years your probably use to them.

I've used them for years on long trips and they do help. Motorcycle Consumer News gave BACKALINE a good review. Its a new take on an old product.

http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products...Item=BACKALINE
Old 04-11-2006, 01:41 AM
Squid

Dookie

The reg/rec problem can be easily sorted , see here
http://vtr1000f.wickidnet.com
Did it myself the other day , got one of fleabay for £10
Old 04-11-2006, 02:29 AM
Back Marker

bluesman

I am doing few week rideouts per year (7-8 days, 400-600 miles a day) but we rarely taking highways, so it is really tiring rides.
From my personal experience - apart from obvious things, such as tools and chain sprays etc. I always taking with me Gaffa tape - it is UK name for that stuff I think...you know - that silver sticky band used to keep together broken mirrors on cars
And I always take some aspirin with me - on hot days it helps to regulate body temperature.

SHawk never ever had let me down so far, no single hiccup per 3000 miles of journeys.
Old 04-11-2006, 02:46 AM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road

Get yourself a sheepskin seat cover. Money well spent.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:25 AM
Squid

redsuperhawk

Lots of good suggestions here. I would go with waterproof gear over rain gear, if possible. There's lots of good stuff out there that are for all seasons. For example, my Teknic Mach One jacket has a zip out insulated layer and is windproof for the cold, is waterproof for the rain, and has huge zipper vents for the heat. I don't need any specific rain gear.

I think the seat on the Superhawk sucks.

I can't believe no one suggested to get off the interstate. Interstate droning, although it can be quick, has got to be one of the most boring ways of travelling. If you're on a bike and want to do a road trip, find some curves! Plus you may find some weird/interesting stuff in all the little towns you'll go through.

Jeff
redsuperhawk
Old 04-11-2006, 12:22 PM
Squid

HamsVTR
I think you're right redsuperhawk. I'll try to make a few detours because straight line riding does tend to get old really fast.
Old 04-11-2006, 02:10 PM
Squid

Lilbitz909
Well being in the military im sure you still have all your gear.. What i found to work the best in the rainy weather is your Gortex pants and jacket.. and it is easy to pack... Not that i ever use mine for non military functions... :-)
Old 04-11-2006, 02:50 PM
Squid

HamsVTR
Oh yes. That Gore-tex came in handy alot during those cold months on the flightline. Good call!

Does anyone live near I-40? Just in case I run into a snag?
Old 04-12-2006, 11:11 AM
Back Marker
Back Marker

penst8grad

Tylenol every 4 - 6 hours, ear plugs, raingear, cellphone, credit card, and water at every gas stop.

Post some pics and let us know how it goes.
Old 04-12-2006, 02:58 PM
Squid

HamsVTR

Well, thanks for the advice everyone, but the military will not be able to move my car nor my cat, so my cat and I are forced to go on a road trip. ( I'm a dog guy, but this liitle runt made its way home with me ). The bike counts as household goods, but no vehicles can be moved state-to-state.

I'll still try and take some pictures.

Man! I was getting hyped up about it too.

Anyone here from the west? Cali, Nev, Ariz, Oregon? Maybe we all can hook up when MotoGP starts up at Monterey.

Thanks again.

Here's the runt-Kimball. He's a little bigger now though.
Old 04-12-2006, 06:42 PM
Squid

redsuperhawk

Dude, that kitty is fricken cute! You wouldn't put a pic of your cat on a bike forum if you weren't a cat person. Admit it, you love that little runt.

Jeff
redsuperhawk
Old 04-12-2006, 07:03 PM
Squid

HamsVTR

Yeah, he's cute but sadly his appearance is directly under my command.

Check this out!
Old 04-13-2006, 06:54 AM
Squid

redsuperhawk
Originally Posted by HamsVTR";p=&quot
Yeah, he's cute but sadly his appearance is directly under my command.

Check this out!
Oh man, that kitty is hilarious! He looks very PO'd. Did you give him a hair cut or something?

Jeff
Old 07-05-2006, 09:22 PM
Back Marker

SillyHawk is an unknown quantity at this point
Hmmmm touring on the Superhawk advice? Let me see...get a VFR!!! Ha-Ha
Old 07-06-2006, 06:09 AM
Back Marker

3D02 is on a distinguished road
Does anyone live near I-40? Just in case I run into a snag?
My brother in-law works works for ADOT (Arizona DOT) and does nothing but travel AZ for his job. My sister lives in Holbrook, AZ, which is off I-40. Having grown up in NE Arizona I would take the advice others have suggested and get off the interstate but of course the range of the SH is the factor. There is still plenty to see along I-40 though.

Karl
Old 06-14-2007, 01:26 PM
Squid

Fireboy121 is on a distinguished road
I have done 650 miles in one day followed by 350 the next and I have to say only two words - "Corbin Saddle"

The stock seat just about gave me a permanent case of bowlegged-monkey butt- backpains. Wasn't pretty

just my 2 cents
Old 06-14-2007, 01:46 PM
Squid

superhawk48 is on a distinguished road
Long trip on hawk

I just made a good trip on the Hawk. Went from Indianapolis to Washington D.C. from there to Virginia Beach and all over West Virginia. Roughly 2000 miles in 4 days. My *** was the only thing hurting. Get a tank bag, nice leaning post. Takes the weight of your wrist and arms. Also buy good rain gear. Getting wet sucks. I purchased a good set and gloves. Well worth the money. I take these long rides every year with my brother who rides a Road King. He could not keep up at the Dragons Tail, LOL! But its fun and we plan a trip every year. Next year is Maine. Anyway definately the extra key and tools, ear plugs are a life saver. The 12v plug in is nice to. If I could just fit a damn radio on the old girl life would be good.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:18 PM
Squid

thedawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by amathews98
So far the longest trip I've taken was about 350 miles one way. Im preparing for a long trip, so alot of your questions have crossed my mind. Im planning on going from San Francisco, Ca. to Seattle, Wa.

Needs:
- Throttle lock (cost ~$15) easy install
- Upgraded seat costly but worth every penny. Or heavily padded cycling shorts.
-Bike lock (I keep disc and cable types)
-Spare keys

Wants:
-Taller windscreen
- Hydration pack
- Some type of music
- Another rider (not 2up, but on their own bike)

As far as AAA, it doesn't oover MC tows. At the most they will come give you gas. Invest in a MC roadside service, fairly cheap. I have Honda Riders Club.

If I think of anything else, I'll post up. Enjoy your ride!

Ashby
The last road trip I made was 500 miles away to the race at Barbers. I agree with the list above. The best accessory I've invested in is the $20 throttle lock. I still have the stock seat but I invested in one of the gel seat pads. I think that probably helped somewhat, but not as much as a better seat. The tall windscreen by Zero Gravity was also worth the money. Can't wait for my next road trip!
Old 06-14-2007, 06:43 PM
Squid

shawkpilot is on a distinguished road
Ask for a radio, and you shall recieve. I used to carry an ipod and use earbuds, now I've switched to an XM satalite. Buy an intercom with a radio jack, place in top of tankbag, I used my XM car antenna glued to the brake resevior, and the intercom has a mic and earphones that install inside the helmet. Only problem is if you play too hard of music, you ride TOO fast.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:38 PM
Back Marker

Dave Wicks is on a distinguished road
Touring

I just did about 3000 miles in 5 1/2 days. I'm 59..stock everything. Reasonable shape..5'8" 165. Find some interesting roads..straight stuff will drive you nuts...get on road real early..avoid the heat...lube the chain everynight..makes a mess but it won't stretch..I think a sheepskin will be good idea..cooler..help the old butt..Bike is rock solid..I have the APE CCT's..put them in as a precaution..

Find some curves..have a great time..
Old 06-15-2007, 11:03 AM
Squid

superhawk48 is on a distinguished road
Throttle Lock

Speaking Of Throttle Lock, Made My Own. On Bottom Of The Throttle Housing Is A Hole. Thread The Hole With Tap And By A 49cent Spring And A 1 Dollar Three Pointed Thumb Screw And Put A Nylon Shoe On Top Of The Threads And You Have A Cruise Control. Works Just Like The Throttle Lock On A Harley. I Know The Bad Word. Used To Own One. The Suicide Cruise Control As I Call, It Works Great.
Old 06-15-2007, 11:58 AM
SuperBike

ali_squidz is on a distinguished road
I have no clue how you guys do all these miles. After 18 miles my butt starts to hurt. I did 250 miles last weekend and I needed a day to recover. My butt hurt so bad. My hamstrings hurt too.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:37 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
You need to ride more. It takes time for "riding muscles" as I call them to build up to a point where you're not sore anymore. Just like any new bike has a different riding position that you must get used to, it sometimes takes a 1000 miles or more to get your body in riding condition.

Quick Reply: Touring with the Superhawk. Any advice?