General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Any advice to a New owner of a 99 VTR?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 06:45 PM
Squid

SUSHIMONSTER is on a distinguished road
Any advice to a New owner of a 99 VTR?

Im so thrilled.. But could use advice on what problems I can expect..
Old 07-21-2012, 07:05 PM
Squid

merckid is on a distinguished road
cam chain tensioners (CCT), replace asap with manual CCTs if the PO hasnt already. PAIR delete if the PO hasnt already done so as well. im sure others will chime in but other than that these bikes are pretty reliable, i knave over 40,000 on mine and i know others have over double that.
Old 07-21-2012, 07:17 PM
Back Marker

Tebs is on a distinguished road
Welcome aboard! You will hear from a lot of great people here!
Old 07-21-2012, 07:38 PM
Back Marker

kardiac996 is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the club!

Manual cct's (Cam Chain tentioners) are known as the first item to replace as the automatic stock units are prone to failure. (as noted above) We have a forum member Superdutyd who machines these and many of us can swear by his work, he will also save you some coin as hes cheaper then other units you can buy. I have a set and they are very nice

Also look at replacing the stock R/R, the stock unit is not finned and is prone to overheating resulting in failure. Plenty of threads in the knowledge base section cover the R/R and the manual CCT's.

Overall other then routine maintenance these bikes are pretty solid.

Welcome again and enjoy her! pics?
Old 07-22-2012, 04:01 AM
Back Marker

Shane702 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by kardiac996
Welcome to the club!

Manual cct's (Cam Chain tentioners) are known as the first item to replace as the automatic stock units are prone to failure. (as noted above) We have a forum member Superdutyd who machines these and many of us can swear by his work, he will also save you some coin as hes cheaper then other units you can buy. I have a set and they are very nice

Also look at replacing the stock R/R, the stock unit is not finned and is prone to overheating resulting in failure. Plenty of threads in the knowledge base section cover the R/R and the manual CCT's.

Overall other then routine maintenance these bikes are pretty solid.

Welcome again and enjoy her! pics?
+1!manual cts(make sure you do both, I did my first 1 2 weeks ago, and only replaced the 1...and sure enough today my front 1 started banging) if you don't it can result in your valves getting bent, which costs a lot more...do hawks carb rejet write up(less than 20$ in parts), PAIR removal, flush your fluids(you never know who has done or not done before my bike has 54k km)..if ur previous owner had k&n get rid Of it...myself and many others never knew how bad our air flow was until we got a oem air filter believe it or not...now some have made it work, so If yours does great!!!if you do the carb setup also looking info throttle position sensor write up..sorry on phone or would link..also I second the upgrade r/r...you can get a good fh012aa(or check tweetys r/r write up on what model r/rs to get...you should he able to get one from 40-60$ and wiring kit only 18$ I will link if yOu pm me...this is a great upgrade, in tweetys thread he explains why in very good detail...basically r/r and ccts are a must upgrade to prevent future headache, problems, and very costly..😃