General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

New VTR Owner - Advice for Accessories?

Old 05-19-2016, 12:03 AM
Squid

alyssackwan is on a distinguished road
Question New VTR Owner - Advice for Accessories?

Hi everyone!

I just bought a '98 VTR. She has just over 30K miles. I know next to nothing about bikes, took her to a mechanic today for a casual inspection, and got a clean bill of health. So excited!

Anyways, I was wondering if I could get some advice on accessories. I took a quick look through the forums, and didn't see much in terms of what I'm looking for, so I apologize if this is duplicate.

Security - My last bike (a Duc) was stolen from the front of my house (I only have street parking, and my neighborhood is pretty shitty). I can't move (yet), and I can't find off-street parking to rent from any of the neighbors. I got a disc lock for the VTR, but am curious what more I can do? I feel like an alarm wouldn't actually be effective and would just be an annoyance...

Handlebars - I checked with a mechanic, and he told me that the handlebars are after-market. Apparently the VTR has an uncomfortable riding posture with the stock handlebars? Anyways, the handlebars are such that when I turn to the extreme right, the windshield hits and turns on the high beams. Annoying. Should I get the stock handlebars and revert the mod? Or do something else?

Phone Mount - I need something for my phone to navigate with. Which mount is compatible? I've seen a RAM mount with a hole for the allen screw to go in the middle, and the ball offset from the middle, but they don't seem to sell this on the site anymore.

Luggage - I'd like to be able to stow a helmet, at the very least, and ideally a laptop-containing backpack for a commute to work. I'm not a fan of the rear luggage racks because they make handling weird (though I don't know if this will be an issue with the VTR). Maybe a case on the rear seat (I never take passengers)? Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Alyssa
Old 05-19-2016, 03:35 AM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by alyssackwan View Post
Hi everyone!

I just bought a '98 VTR. She has just over 30K miles. I know next to nothing about bikes, took her to a mechanic today for a casual inspection, and got a clean bill of health. So excited!

Well done you'll enjoy the torquey stormbeast - Be advised that stock CCT (Cam Chain Tensioner) and R/R (Regulator/Rectifier) are recognized as being weak points, and can if not addressed (fitting manual tensioners and upgraded Mosfet R/R) can lead to being a dampener and on what is otherwise a very reliable and good build quality Honda m/c.

Other things that are worthwhile checking sooner rather than later is the shock/swingarm linkage bearings as being out-of-sight can slowly seize up from corrosion if not greased up, along with the starter motor terminal under the rubber hood, which due to its position up front and low down can take a beating esp if used all year round. Again just keep it greased yp to protect it from the elements.

Anyways, I was wondering if I could get some advice on accessories. I took a quick look through the forums, and didn't see much in terms of what I'm looking for, so I apologize if this is duplicate.

Security - My last bike (a Duc) was stolen from the front of my house (I only have street parking, and my neighborhood is pretty shitty). I can't move (yet), and I can't find off-street parking to rent from any of the neighbors. I got a disc lock for the VTR, but am curious what more I can do? I feel like an alarm wouldn't actually be effective and would just be an annoyance...

If you look under the seat there is provision for storage of a D-lock. Immobiliser/ alrms can be fitted though they don't guarantee against problems or even ultimately against theft (mine was fitted with one when I bought it, and it eventually left me stranded in a supermarket carpark. I had to get m/c shop van to come and recover it and no one blinked an eye when we pushed it to the van with alarms blaring...). Maybe think about a decent all weather cover that has retaining straps and hides it from view along with a (or multiple) very heavy security chains and locks with at least one securing it to a fixed immovable object so it can't just be lifted away.

Handlebars - I checked with a mechanic, and he told me that the handlebars are after-market. Apparently the VTR has an uncomfortable riding posture with the stock handlebars? Anyways, the handlebars are such that when I turn to the extreme right, the windshield hits and turns on the high beams. Annoying. Should I get the stock handlebars and revert the mod? Or do something else?

Here in the UK any interference with the extent of the bars would be an MOT fail. You can either try different bars or revert to stock (not as bad as your mechanic makes out unless you're generally over 50 years old!). Have a seach on the forum for threads on the theme as it has cropped up from time-to-time.

Phone Mount - I need something for my phone to navigate with. Which mount is compatible? I've seen a RAM mount with a hole for the allen screw to go in the middle, and the ball offset from the middle, but they don't seem to sell this on the site anymore.

Again have a search using keywords: phone mount and see what you can glean.

Luggage - I'd like to be able to stow a helmet, at the very least, and ideally a laptop-containing backpack for a commute to work. I'm not a fan of the rear luggage racks because they make handling weird (though I don't know if this will be an issue with the VTR). Maybe a case on the rear seat (I never take passengers)? Any recommendations?

If you don't want to install a (lockable) top box problem then is security leaving a helmet vulnerable on the bike. There are numerous soft luggage options available (I used Bagster tank cover and clip on tank bag), sometimes Throwover panniers with a seat bag, along with a small/med rucksack. I never leave my helmet on my bike and always carry it away with me. Some folk fit hard lockable panniers on utilising and modding racks from similar style bikes.

Thanks,
Alyssa
Soft luggage

Name:  IMG_000909IMG_0009.jpg
Views: 599
Size:  153.8 KB

Hard luggage

Last edited by Wicky; 05-19-2016 at 03:41 AM.
Old 05-19-2016, 05:48 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Welcome! First let me start by asking if your clip-ons are made by Heli? If so, you will definitely want to keep them. Regardless, you can probably loosen it and move it just enough to clear your switch then retighten. A pic of what ya have would really help. The heli's move the grips up and back a little, helping w/ comfort.

I use the RAM mount you mentioned and recommend it. It's still on their site. Motorcycle Bases | RAM Mounts
Name:  DSC05391.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  67.9 KB
The tail bag I use is a Cortech and expands to hold quite a bit. They also have matching side bags.
Like Wicky mentioned, there are provisions for a helmet D ring for locking helmet.

Name:  DSC05437.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  98.1 KB
Name:  DSC05439.jpg
Size:  111.0 KB

Cortech-Tourmaster-sport-TailBag-Black
Old 05-19-2016, 06:07 AM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

VTR1000F is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the Yellow SuperHawk Forum alyssackwan. What color is your SuperHawk?
Old 05-19-2016, 07:10 AM
Superstock

archaicguy is on a distinguished road
Welcome aboard Alyssa..... It better be yellow, those are the coolest.... wait I have a blue one...oooop

I use the afore mentioned ram mount for my phone and magnetic tank bags rock.... easy on easy off.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:02 AM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
What Wolverine said.
If you End up going back to stock bars, get ones from a second gen SH as they are a bit more comfortable.
What oil do you run?
Old 05-19-2016, 05:16 PM
Superstock

Fastguy59 is on a distinguished road
Welcome Alyssa!
Old 05-19-2016, 06:59 PM
Who are you?
SuperSport

Just_Nick is on a distinguished road
I recommend Rotella.
Old 05-19-2016, 11:30 PM
Squid

alyssackwan is on a distinguished road
Wow! Thanks everyone! Your input is really appreciated. My VTR is cherry red.

1) Given that there's at least been some body mods, I'm going to have to check to see if the CCT and R/R are still stock. Are there links as to the recommendations for what to do about these?
2) I'll take a pic of the handlebars this weekend in daylight.
3) Thanks for the RAM mount link! I don't know why it's not highlighted in the shopping site as compatible with the X-Grip. I'll have to call to check.

I've never maintained any machines on my own before. Any materials you'd recommend for a beginner?

Thanks!
Alyssa
Old 05-20-2016, 09:16 AM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
Wow! Thanks everyone! Your input is really appreciated. My VTR is cherry red.

Quaintly known as R157 Italian Red...

1) Given that there's at least been some body mods, I'm going to have to check to see if the CCT and R/R are still stock. Are there links as to the recommendations for what to do about these?

Mark Krieger Manual CCTs > VTR1000 S'hawk/F'storm

If is unfinned then worry and recommended replacement is an FH marked Mosfet www.vtr1000.org Sourcing and Fitting a Mosfet R/R

2) I'll take a pic of the handlebars this weekend in daylight.
3) Thanks for the RAM mount link! I don't know why it's not highlighted in the shopping site as compatible with the X-Grip. I'll have to call to check.

I've never maintained any machines on my own before. Any materials you'd recommend for a beginner?

Download the Honda VTR1000F Service manual (searchable) PDF

and from UK VTR forum > Bike Maintenance and Upgrades/Modifications

Thanks!
Alyssa

Last edited by Wicky; 05-20-2016 at 09:23 AM.
Old 05-20-2016, 11:43 AM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
Welcome!

Regarding the RAM mount and X-Grip, just be aware the X-Grip isn't perfect. As the pictures show, the X-Grip rocks back and forth when it has something in its grasp. It's just the design of it. It doesn't rock while riding (yet), but I assume as it gets used more, it may. It does hold my Samsung Galaxy very well though. I really like the RAM system and the X-Grip.

Name:  20160520_132753.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  246.8 KB
Name:  20160520_132801.jpg
Size:  240.7 KB

Last edited by CruxGNZ; 05-20-2016 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Grasp, not grip. Sheesh...
Old 05-20-2016, 01:14 PM
That one guy
Back Marker

Meier Link is on a distinguished road

First off congrats on the VTR.

The data base here along side the UK site are an awesome tool to use when doing mods and services. The search bar will become your best friend haha.

Thanks!
Alyssa
Download the file from the site that Wicky linked. When in doubt search the forums. If there is something questionable in the manual it's probably already been discussed here and you might find an easier way to do it too.

Lastly welcome to the forum.