General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

New Superhawk Owner

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 08:26 PM
Squid

Toaliosis is on a distinguished road
New Superhawk Owner

What's up everyone!

Guess I should finally introduce myself after lurking for a few weeks. Wanted to get some info on the Superhawk before purchasing it and now have been combing through all the treads and goodies for sale.

Picked up my Yellow 1999 SH here in Pittsburgh, PA approximately a month ago, it was in almost perfect condition, just need some fresh rubber so I mounted some new Pilot Power 3's and I have to say they are great. I've gotten about 1,000 miles on the bike so far and I've been grinning the whole time. I decided to add the SH to my stable of bikes as I wanted something with more torque and more comfortable than my 600RR.

Name:  IMAG0092_zps324b3dce.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  108.2 KB

Only issue so far was when I had my tires put on and angle valve stems, they couldn't get the one to seal when turned to the riders right, so they installed them on the riders right...which is a PITA. Well the other day I was checking my air pressure and didn't have the bike leaned over enough and accidently pushed the bike over...lucky my brick wall was there to catch it and cause this .

Name:  IMAG0140_zps37934d5a.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  55.8 KB

But I still rode it that day and had some fun and I look forward to even more!

Name:  IMAG0141_zpscfcfb785.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  137.0 KB

My stable consists of:

2007 600RR - Street ~25,000 miles
2007 600RR - Track ~1,000 miles
2000 XR650R - Dual Sport
2001 XR650R - Not sure what I'm going to do with this one
1999 VTR1000F - Street 18,500 miles

Thanks for putting together a great forum of relevant and useful information on this great bike.

Regards,

Toal
Old 07-27-2013, 08:37 PM
Squid

4ifreak is on a distinguished road
congrats on the bike purchase...condolences on the unfortunate injury to the tail section of the bike. You'll love the bike, i had a R6 and have found the Hawk much easier and a lot more enjoyable to ride.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:45 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by 4ifreak
congrats on the bike purchase...condolences on the unfortunate injury to the tail section of the bike. You'll love the bike, i had a R6 and have found the Hawk much easier and a lot more enjoyable to ride.
I'm already searching around for a replacement, but no luck. Might just get it painted over the winter.

After doing 350 miles two Sunday's ago I felt way better than if I would have been on the 600RR. Only thing that I do have to concur about is the SH's "poor" fuel economy and range. I'm getting around 30 mpg not bad, but not great. I have to remind myself to start looking for fuel around 80 miles. This is after I decided to push its limits on my way home from work and found out two things the hard way:

1. My gas light isn't working
2. Don't try go past 100 miles on a tank
Old 07-27-2013, 09:02 PM
Squid

flynavyj is on a distinguished road
Good looking machine, and congrats on the purchase.

I too really don't dig the fuel economy (or lack there of) but the bike is phenomenal with that aside. I spend most of my time commuting on my bike, about 25 miles mostly interstate one way per day, and it's sad that after two days it's get gas time. I've averaged about 29 mpg out of my 02' and I know for a fact she's running wicked rich...Need to check out the carbs as 1st order, then I might look at changing the rear sprocket back towards stock. Enjoy the bike, they really are a hoot!
Old 07-28-2013, 12:14 AM
SuperSport

jerryh is on a distinguished road
You guys should be able to bump up that mileage. Whipping my '03 I get 42. Easy cruising and commuting gets 48.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:16 AM
SuperSport

jerryh is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Toaliosis
What's up everyone!

Guess I should finally introduce myself after lurking for a few weeks. Wanted to get some info on the Superhawk before purchasing it and now have been combing through all the treads and goodies for sale.

Picked up my Yellow 1999 SH here in Pittsburgh, PA approximately a month ago, it was in almost perfect condition, just need some fresh rubber so I mounted some new Pilot Power 3's and I have to say they are great. I've gotten about 1,000 miles on the bike so far and I've been grinning the whole time. I decided to add the SH to my stable of bikes as I wanted something with more torque and more comfortable than my 600RR.

Only issue so far was when I had my tires put on and angle valve stems, they couldn't get the one to seal when turned to the riders right, so they installed them on the riders right...which is a PITA. Well the other day I was checking my air pressure and didn't have the bike leaned over enough and accidently pushed the bike over...lucky my brick wall was there to catch it and cause this .

But I still rode it that day and had some fun and I look forward to even more!

My stable consists of:

2007 600RR - Street ~25,000 miles
2007 600RR - Track ~1,000 miles
2000 XR650R - Dual Sport
2001 XR650R - Not sure what I'm going to do with this one
1999 VTR1000F - Street 18,500 miles

Thanks for putting together a great forum of relevant and useful information on this great bike.

Regards,

Toal
Seems like any super nice vehicle I get one of the first things I do is scratch or ding it!
Old 07-28-2013, 05:04 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by jerryh
You guys should be able to bump up that mileage. Whipping my '03 I get 42. Easy cruising and commuting gets 48.
I'm wondering how much the Two Brothers pipes and the jet kit have to do with reduced mpg, and if the jet kit was installed correctly. No one running behind me has said that they smell me running rich and major backfires or pops. Would have to see how much it would cost to have someone take a look at the AF ratio. About to head out on a ride now, so I'll keep track of my mpg as I ride.