General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

A new question on the VFR gas tank Mod

Old 04-12-2016, 08:50 PM
Squid

Exiledone is on a distinguished road
A new question on the VFR gas tank Mod

Hi, I am a new VTR owner and I have a question I don't think has been answered about the VFR tank mod. I have been lurking and searching a bit and I have seen some posts on the VFR tank and how to deal with the about 2 3/4" inch difference between where the VFR tank meets the frame at the seat. I just acquired a VTR that has had a good spill and the tank is totally roached. I want the bigger tank anyway so I plan on using a VFR tank to replace the old tank. The subframe is also badly damaged at the rear and the PO basically just cut off about halfway back so a solo seat could be mounted. Here is the question: What is the problem with simply welding on a piece of 2 3/4" tall square tube on top of the old subframe and moving the stock seat up that much? Besides figuring out how to mount the seat of course. I am a tall guy with a 36" inseam and the higher seat would just give me that much legroom.

I don't plan on really pushing this bike in hard corners or anything. In fact, I plan on riding this bike mostly on county roads and gravel roads around my house. The bike is so beat up that I am thinking of just making something to play around on. There are thousands of miles of Forest Service roads near my house and I am thinking of just using the bike to explore those and that sort of thing. I am going to put dual sport tires on it and just make it sort of a 50-50 gravel/street bike.

So my question basically is what problems are I likely to face doing this. The rear fairing is there but pretty beat up so I don't mind modifying it. I'd like to keep the inner fender where it is so I don't have to relocate the battery etc.

Am I crazy?
Old 04-13-2016, 01:36 AM
SuperBike

kenmoore is on a distinguished road
No,

Not at all,

However,

You could end up crazy like most of us on here if you start tinkering.

Once you start it's hard to stop!
Old 04-13-2016, 02:57 PM
That one guy
Back Marker

Meier Link is on a distinguished road
Look at the simular threads at the bottom of the page. There are quite a few links concerning this mod dated back to 2009.
Old 04-13-2016, 04:40 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
And you may want to contact Kai ju. He could probably answer all your ??
Old 04-14-2016, 05:29 AM
Superstock

Fastguy59 is on a distinguished road
Just a quick thought, a 17" diameter tire/wheel is really kind lousy on dirt and gravel even with dual sport tires. Added to that is the bikes geometry is biased to plant the front wheel firmly into the pavement, the opposite of most dirt bike geometry. Be safe & careful in dirt world!
Old 04-20-2016, 07:59 PM
Who are you?
SuperSport

Just_Nick is on a distinguished road
I'm 6'4, there is no real need to modify the subframe on this bike for the height. And subframes are so cheap that you might as well just jump on ebay and get one.