General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

New with a question

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 01:33 PM
Squid

Tyler Startin is on a distinguished road
New with a question

Hey guys, I've been riding my little Kawi ninja 250 for a while now, and have the opportunity to ****** up a superhawk in the near future.

Just wanted to ask you guys if you think the jump from a 250 to this bike would be a bit too much? I'm not sure how this bike rides...

So if anyone wanted to shoot me the lowdown on this bike as far as comfort and riding position and anything else you want to add... Feel free. If you want to use reference, I've ridden an R1. So comparing it to that would work as well I suppose. Thanks
Old 08-13-2012, 02:04 PM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
Dear Tyler,
Some of the issues have been covered recently in "Newb looking to buy '02". There are various schools of thought on whether a novice should get a Superhawk. Sometimes it works out, sometimes not. I learned on an 80 c.c. Suzuki K11 and didn't get a bike with an engine larger than 650 c.c. until I had ridden for 35 years.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:13 PM
Squid

gotta_gofast is on a distinguished road
With the powerband of an electric motor, the superhawk is an easy smooth bike to ride. It all comes down to rider maturity. Everyone has a first time on a "big bike". Respect your machine and be aware of your limits.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:03 PM
SuperSport

98VTRrider is on a distinguished road
I think gofast says it best, it all comes down to rider maturity. Keep a level head and your ego in check and you should be fine.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:13 PM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
the best thing you can do is ride the superhawk and see if it does it for you. You'll know better than anyone. As far as riding compared to a lighter bike like the 250 kawi, it's not gonna be as fast in the twisties, but it has a lot of other redeeming qualities, e.g., torque to drive out of corners, sweet sounds that keep you happy, pleasing aesthetics that that lend character, etc.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:52 PM
DudimusMaximus
Squid

Dudimusmaximus is on a distinguished road
I just joined the ranks of Superhawk owners a few weeks ago, and made a relatively quick jump from KTM 400 cc dual sport to Suzuki Katana 600 to the Superhawk, which I have ridden about 1000 miles over the crowded streets of so cal. The input given to be respectful of the power and throttle, especially in first gear is very good. I keep my index and middle finger over the front brake lever much of the time in first and second gear. It was advice given in a book recommended on this forum, Sport Riding Techniques, by Nick Ienatsch.

I am very pleased that I purchased the Superhawk and do not feel like I bit off more than I can handle, and it is a great bike. It gives a lot of bike to learn and grow in skills on while having a lot of fun, however I am not going to go canyon carving anytime soon (at least for a few more weeks j/k)

Scott

Last edited by Dudimusmaximus; 08-13-2012 at 08:07 PM. Reason: Accidentally posted before finished
Old 08-13-2012, 08:10 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
If you're concerned because you've heard that big bikes will get you killed, that's no problem, you're just showing healthy reasoning. If you're actually scared and want some comfort- the thing is too big.

It's all under your control. The bike in theory is safer (accelerates and stops faster) but has potential to be much more dangerous. 1st gear wheelie is almost inevitable if you're used to wringing a ninja out. How do you like the ninja? Have you had any close calls? Do you take riding classes? How many dings are on your car? The answers to those are pretty good indicators to me as to how well you'll do with a superhawk...
Old 08-13-2012, 08:48 PM
Back Marker

Tebs is on a distinguished road
After 6 years of riding I felt it was time to upgrade to larger bike and that is what lead me to this forum earlier this spring (and my first SH purchase). I respect the senior members opinions on this post (so listen to their advice!) and, if I could add something, I would recommend paying for a track day (something like Fastraxx that has classroom instructions). Track days have been a great tool for me to learn all the nuances of an unfamiliar bike - in a controlled environment. Thats my 2 cents.....hope it helps!