General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

that grat feeling, (not that one)!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 12:41 PM
SuperSport

twist is on a distinguished road
that grat feeling, (not that one)!

I've got almost a thousand miles on the VTR since I bought it. The bike is still set up like it left the factory, the PO didn't really adjust anything or do anything but ride, (barely). Anyway, I'm getting to know the bike now, feels good under me and I'm getting the feel for how it is in tight turns. This is night and day from my BMW! (I loved that bike)
I got home after a good 3 hour ride this morning and I have that great feeling that comes after a great ride, like the world could blow up and I'd be able to handle it. Super calm, blissed out and can't stop smiling. The factory settings need adjustment and that rear shock needs to be replaced with a DMr replacement. Has anyone ever tried running carburetors like Mikuni flat slides in place of the stock CV carbs? Maybe Keihin carbs?
Old 08-08-2012, 01:42 PM
SuperBike

HRCA#1 is on a distinguished road
Don't know about Mikuni's but if bucks aren't a problem you might look at Keihin FCR's. I would also point out that your stock CV's indeed are flat slide carbs.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:08 PM
SuperSport

yes, I did notice that stock carbs are indeed flat slide but they are constant velocity. They should be great at modulating themselves and better able to handle going to higher altitudes. They are very large, too. I ran 38mm flat slides on my Beemer and that was a great upgrade, better throttle response, a bit more hp, easy to work on. In all the threads I've read and the searches I haven't really seen anyone making the change to regular carburetors. Just curious why?
Old 08-08-2012, 02:20 PM
aja
SuperSport

aja is on a distinguished road
I don't think anyone here is interested in the minuscule gains from a carb swap, or it would not be worth the time and tuning.

The rear shock is junk, but replace your front springs seals and oil and you will notice a huge gain. If you have the time money and skills look into a front end swap for even better handling. I don't like tight turns on the hawk, its really top heavy and wants to fall over if you aren't going fast enough. I didn't take my ridden m1 test on it for that reason.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:11 PM
Superstock

zxbud is on a distinguished road
Top Heavy

Originally Posted by aja
I don't like tight turns on the hawk, its really top heavy and wants to fall over if you aren't going fast enough. I didn't take my ridden m1 test on it for that reason.

Mine doesn't seem top heavy at all but does seem to low speed steer slowly due to the low bars. One of these days they are going to go and would have been gone already but for the crappy new Russell brake lines which kept on seeping at the washers at the ms. Well, one of these days but today I can't keep my hands off the newly aquired '06 VTX1800 that holds me spellbound. I dare say it's even more fun than the Hawk.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:34 AM
When in doubt, C4
Squid

Sawzall86 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by zxbud
Well, one of these days but today I can't keep my hands off the newly aquired '06 VTX1800 that holds me spellbound. I dare say it's even more fun than the Hawk.
Blasphemy!!!
Old 08-09-2012, 09:21 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by aja
I don't think anyone here is interested in the minuscule gains from a carb swap, or it would not be worth the time and tuning.

The rear shock is junk, but replace your front springs seals and oil and you will notice a huge gain. If you have the time money and skills look into a front end swap for even better handling. I don't like tight turns on the hawk, its really top heavy and wants to fall over if you aren't going fast enough. I didn't take my ridden m1 test on it for that reason.
It's top heavy?! Compared to what? An anvil?!

That has to be the first time I have heard the VTR being called top heavy... Compare it to whatever sportbike you like and you will find that it's actually less top heavy than most, the only one's it wont beat is the new crop of "mass centralized" superbikes... In fact it's probably just slightly more topheavy than a hardley, really...

I can't say much about your riding tests, since I haven't got a clue what they consist of, but I don't have a problem doing everything the Swedish riding tests consist of on my bike... I did the whole thing just about two weeks ago, tutoring a friend that's about to take her test... And while my VTR isn't stock, it actually has fair bit less forgiving geometry than stock, for tight manuevers and it wasn't even an issue...

In my opinion, if you feel you wouldn't pass the test on the bike you are riding... Either park it and take the bus... Or start practicing...
Old 08-09-2012, 02:27 PM
Superstock

Upland111 is on a distinguished road
In my opinion, if you feel you wouldn't pass the test on the bike you are riding... Either park it and take the bus... Or start practicing...
Weeeeelllll, Have to agree on this one.....My 91' CBR1000 that was about 547 pds dry (don't quote me exactly on that), was a lot more top heavy than my Hawk, but a fun bike nonetheless.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:13 PM
SuperSport

I admit my newbe ignorance, I did not know the stock carburetors are Keihin. Knowing that, getting the #48 pilots to do 7more7's carburetor set up will be a snap. I had the impression getting the replacement pilots would be a PITA. When I asked about Mikuni carbs I was curious, I have run them on other bikes but have no intention of running them on the VTR.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:08 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by twist
I admit my newbe ignorance, I did not know the stock carburetors are Keihin. Knowing that, getting the #48 pilots to do 7more7's carburetor set up will be a snap. I had the impression getting the replacement pilots would be a PITA. When I asked about Mikuni carbs I was curious, I have run them on other bikes but have no intention of running them on the VTR.
Yeah the series 21 keihins are all over the place (although our carbs are big so sometimes you have to hunt!)

And I need to throw credit back to 8541Hawk for the carbs... he's the one who put together his baseline setup from experience and I just followed directions... (some stuff I tried out on my own, but who wouldn't?)
Old 08-15-2012, 02:15 PM
Squid

wolfgun is on a distinguished road
Hey Twist, wait till you take a low speed turn spill on that VTX1800. See how spellbound you feel about it then.