General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

New Member on my second Superhawk.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 09:57 AM
Squid

pwolski is on a distinguished road
New Member on my second Superhawk.

Hi Everyone,

After too much wine one night, an Ebay account I am once again a Superhawk owner. I picked up 03 with 5000 miles for $2600 in Oklahoma. The bike now lives with friends in Dallas since I live on St. Croix (part of the US Virgin Islands). My first one was a 99 which I had while living on the road while working up and down the west coast. I sold it because of the move, but as you can tell missed it so much, I had to get another.

The current bike is in good shape. PO, some kid, did some stupid things to it. He drilled holes in the pipe end caps, but could not space them out evenly. He butchered the turn signals and the rear fender. The stock clear Honda glass was painted silver, looks very stupid. The bike was tipped over since there is a small crack in the fearing below the turn signal. It also took me half a day to rub out dead bugs which were left on the bike.

I have been reading this forum for few months now and would like to thank everyone who contributes here. So far I have done the F4i brake mod. I got the entire setup for around $30 (I already forgot the price because it was so low), now my bike stops. In the future HH pads and SS lines. A new set of Michelins Road 2C is also on the bike. I only put 100 miles on them so it is too early to report on them.

The bike "back fires" at low power settings. The tank was removed by PO because the front mounting bushings were gone. With the drilled pipes there is a chance I got a K&N filter in there as well. It simply runs lean so I am planning on shimming the needles (.040), doing the TPS, removing PAIR and synchronizing the carbs. The mod that I look forward the most is doing the fork and the shock (in advance thank you Hawkrider and Jamie Daugherty). As you all know the factory set up sucks. I already have the F4i shock ($16 Ebay). On my old bike I installed a set of tapered bearings which made the front feel much more solid, a set is going on this one. Finally, maybe a fork brace. I would love USD front end, but am simply too cheap for now. I have a set of LED turn signals that have to go on the bike (I also ordered a flasher unit from Clearalternatives so that I don't have to deal with external resistors). Because the rear fender was cut so short, I had to relocate the seat lock to the bottom of the inner fender and moved the plate all the way up to the tail light (the little red reflector had to go). I installed little rubber flap over the lock to keep the dirt out of it. Now the rear end looks nice and clean.

That is all for now.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:52 AM
SuperBike

finepooch is on a distinguished road
nice description but a picture is worth a thousand words!
Old 12-28-2009, 10:57 AM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Gregw is on a distinguished road
Welcome aboard. We should make this intro a sticky to show how it's done.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:20 AM
SuperSport

Stevebis1 is on a distinguished road
+1 Welcome aboard. Looks like you've got your priorities straight. Throw some pics up here or on your profile page and we'll all have a look.
Had Greg do my forks a few months back and it was worth every penny.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:23 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Welcome!

And +1 for a nice and proper introduction post!
Old 12-28-2009, 11:40 AM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Welcome!

Suffering through the PO is just about as bad as not having a Superhawk to begin with but it IS a Honda and bringing them back is very rewarding. Looks like our Superhawk of The Year is going to be a bike that was resurrected from the bone pile so it can be done.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:16 PM
Back Marker

toy4xchris is on a distinguished road
sorry to hear about about the po screw ups I have had a few myself. At least it is all on something worth spending your time on.
Old 12-28-2009, 01:36 PM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
welcome to the forum.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:54 AM
Squid

Just posted (in my album) picture of my bike.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:48 AM
SuperBike

finepooch is on a distinguished road
you're right about the windscreen, not a good job. the rest looks good.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:30 PM
Squid
Squid

Torque Junkie is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the forum pwolksi. My parents lived in St. Croix for awhile and I loved to visit them. I used to work construction down there during he summers building custom homes when I went to college.

That is a crazy place to want to ride and be safe. What's a bottle of Cruzan Rum go for now? It was $2.00/bottle when I was down there in the late 80's, while a 12 oz. bottle of Heineken was $3.00 . What's it like riding on the left side of the road?

My favorite St. Croix story of all time is getting pulled over by the police in my bosses truck with a beer in my hand, one on the seat next to me empty, and they wanted to give me a ticket for having no shirt on, in the car . Didn't care how much I drank, didn't even ask me. My parents used to live about 3 miles past Fredericksted. I miss the beaches and the beach bars, but don't miss the cruzans.
Old 12-30-2009, 02:11 PM
Squid

It is a crazy place. My bike lives in Dallas, I don't want to ride here. The cruzans don't do well driving, and I want to live little longer. Rum still cost less then bottled water and we still drive around drinking beer (had to make a note not to do it while back in Dallas). It is not the no shirt, these days it is the cell phone that you get a ticket for. I live east of Christiansted and fly the float planes. You are right the beaches, scuba diving, slower pace are nice but living with the locals is a pain.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:41 PM
Squid
Squid

Torque Junkie is on a distinguished road
You brought back some good memories, thanks for that. Yes I wish I could live there 4 months a year, 4 months a year in the Rockies , 4 months a year in Seattle.

I'll go back there someday, miss the carribean sun on my back. Don't miss working construction though. My parents lived down there until Hurricane Hugo about wiped that island from the map. They had to be rescued by the coast guard from all the looting locals after the hurricane. We haven't been back since.

And yes, the cruzans don't do well driving. I remember there would be cars driving on one or two of those temporary spare tires all the time, and would pass you at like 100 mph on that little stretch of freeway. My mom worked at a travel agency in Christiansted and some drunk cruzan hit about 6 parked cars, including my mom's. His car was finally so f.d up he couldn't drive it away after hitting my mom's last. The police wouldn't give him a drunk driving test, said "It was an infringement of his rights". Never saw a dime from that. He never went to jail.