General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

I need a little help from my European friends...

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 05:14 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
I need a little help from my European friends...

I need someone to look in their shop manual and let me know where the Black/Red wire from the passing switch goes. Or, if you've got a scan of the wire schematic, that would be even better. Thanks!
Old 12-28-2009, 05:59 PM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road
Name:  WiringdiagramUS.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  98.9 KB

Hopefully this will help you.

It's amazing how many people log on here to ask questions, and the first reply is "Do a search". I can never find anything!!!!! So I have had a look on the Australian forum and this is what I came up with, but I know there is other info as well. If this doesn't help you let me know and I will ask the other forum members where the info is.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:16 PM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
There's a schematic in the Haynes manual for '97 to '00 european Firestorms at p. 9.27. I can't read it well enough to give you reliable information. Really sorry.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:25 PM
MotoGP

Thanks for the diagram Shayne, but I need the Firestorm wiring diagram. sorry, I should of been more specific.
Do the Australian models have the passing light feature as well?
Old 12-28-2009, 06:29 PM
MotoGP

Scratch that.... Google works great.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:49 PM
SuperSport

Stevebis1 is on a distinguished road
Guess I'm going to show my ignorance here.
What's a passing switch?
From the schematic it looks like a momentary switch that flashes the hi beams...Duh I get it. I was going to ask why bother and then I remember all our cars have it.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:51 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Without even looking at the diagram I can say it hooks into the hi-beam... over rides the hi/lo switch and gives hi-beam... Is that good enough?
Old 12-28-2009, 06:57 PM
MotoGP

It goes directly to the headlight fuse. On the US model, the headlight cut switch for the start button goes to the headlight fuse. Does hitting the start btton on your Firestorm turn off the headlight?

Last edited by inderocker; 12-28-2009 at 07:02 PM.
Old 12-29-2009, 04:12 AM
MotoGP

Nope... It stays on or off depending on how the toggle is set...

That's one of the reasons I'd like to swap in the RH controls of a US model... Then I'd have the best of both... I can choose to have the headlight on or off and it cut's the headlight when cranking if I forget to do so... I'll get around to it someday...

Last edited by Tweety; 12-29-2009 at 04:25 AM.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:10 AM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
Tweety, you're always thinking. We want the FS LH switch to have the toggle. LOL I looked at the schematics a bit this summer, then got sidetracked.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:02 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Erik S.
Tweety, you're always thinking. We want the FS LH switch to have the toggle. LOL I looked at the schematics a bit this summer, then got sidetracked.
Well... That's part of the problem... According to my significant other I'm similar in that way to the toddlers she tends to at work...

Short attention span and tends to be distracted by shiney things...
I usually have 10+ projects going at the same time... And once in a while I actually finish one as well...
Old 12-29-2009, 10:04 AM
MotoGP

Well, now that I know I can just wire in the black/red wire to the right hand switch, the rest of the swap was easy. All I had to do was flip flop the turn signal switch from my U.S. switch assembly... after that all the colors were the same.
Old 12-29-2009, 01:18 PM
SuperSport

Stevebis1 is on a distinguished road
Ok.... I get the flash to pass, but I think we have it already - on the start button. Once the bike is running doesn't the starter motor circuit disengage? Or is my bike just to loud for me to hear the starter motor?
My thought was with the starter disengaged we simply flash with the start button
No?
Old 12-29-2009, 01:35 PM
MotoGP

Why in the world would you flash with the start button?! The circuit is still "on" at all times, the starter clutch keeps you from blowing stuff up though...

All that should happen if you press the starter is that you engage the startmotor again... But since the engine is already running the starter clutch won't engage... But yeah, it will probably flash since it also cuts the headlight, so your blinking your lowbeam... Or highbeam if that's what on...

Not a very good option as far as I can tell... The point about the button on the european switch is that it goes to highbeam momentarily if you are on lowbeam... More visible... Not cut the light which as far as I know would just be dangerous...
Old 12-29-2009, 01:41 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Stevebis1
Ok.... I get the flash to pass, but I think we have it already - on the start button. Once the bike is running doesn't the starter motor circuit disengage? Or is my bike just to loud for me to hear the starter motor?
My thought was with the starter disengaged we simply flash with the start button
No?
The start switch is is a 2 stage switch. You can just barely press it in and just turn of the headlight, but I wouldn't push it in all the way with the engine running.
Old 12-29-2009, 01:44 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by inderocker
Well, now that I know I can just wire in the black/red wire to the right hand switch, the rest of the swap was easy. All I had to do was flip flop the turn signal switch from my U.S. switch assembly... after that all the colors were the same.
Inderocker, you lost me on what you did. My plugs didn't all match up. Can you expound a little for me, maybe write it in crayon, it's one of those type of days.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:19 PM
MotoGP

Eric... If you use a small screwdriver to pop the pins out of the plastic part of the connector on both the stock US switch and the one you are swapping in you can then re-use the US plastic part... Just match up the colors... Apart from the turn signal apparently...

Then you have the extra wires that hook up to the passing switch... Take one and hook it to the blue wire for highbeam (look at the diagram above), the other to the red/black one as indie said...
Old 12-29-2009, 02:29 PM
MotoGP

Inderocker, you lost me on what you did. My plugs didn't all match up. Can you expound a little for me, maybe write it in crayon, it's one of those type of days.

I started by jotting down where the wires went on the green coupler for each switch. I then used a small pick to hold down the lock tab on each connect then pulled them out of the coupler one by one. I then removed the turn signal switch from my spare Super Hawk switch assembly and put it into the Firestorm switch assembly. After that I plugged all the wires back into their corresponding locations on the Super Hawk coupler... with one wire leftover, the black with the red stripe. The black/red wire will be jumped across to the right hand switch assembly and attached to the black/red wire on that side. I might not have to do anything with it but delete it... I'll know when I plug it in.
Attached Thumbnails I need a little help from my European friends...-001.jpg   I need a little help from my European friends...-002.jpg  
Old 12-29-2009, 02:33 PM
MotoGP

Ok... Now I'm confused... Why'dya swap the actual signal switch?!

Or perhaps you just wanted the colors to match? Me, I'm lazy, so I'd just hav figured out what colors to match to each other and left the switch as it was...
Old 12-29-2009, 03:14 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Tweety
Ok... Now I'm confused... Why'dya swap the actual signal switch?!

Or perhaps you just wanted the colors to match? Me, I'm lazy, so I'd just hav figured out what colors to match to each other and left the switch as it was...

The Firestorm switch had 3 wires, the Super Hawk switch has 5. Why? I do not know.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:38 PM
MotoGP

Ah... But I do...

It's the running lights... Now it makes sense... Your way is the correct one...

The other way around though I'd just leave those unconnected if I was to swap in a US switch (which I have no intention of doing)
Old 12-29-2009, 03:56 PM
SuperBike

I'm so not with it right now, don't know why.

You replaced the entire turn signal switch. From the SH to the FS? That is the clear/yellow plug in the picture with the extra wire? Your 6 pin blue plug is all wired correctly, and plugs in, right? (I feel so stupid right now)
Old 12-29-2009, 04:06 PM
MotoGP

Eric... Look at the first pic in indies post above... See the little metalic tips on the wire...You just move them about as you please with a pin to release them from the plastic...

Just move the switch over to keep the running lights happy, and then match the colors... You get a black/red one left over... That's for the passing switch... Other than that all the colors should match in both ends of the plugs...
Old 12-29-2009, 04:08 PM
MotoGP

BTW the switch in the picture is the Euro one... 3 wires one common and one for each side of the signals... The US spec has 5 wires...
Old 12-29-2009, 05:06 PM
SuperBike

Ok, that's what was confusing me, i thought that he said he pulled the entire switch out, not just the plug end.

I was feeling slightly retarded.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:28 PM
MotoGP

Ok, that's what was confusing me, i thought that he said he pulled the entire switch out, not just the plug end.

I was feeling slightly retarded.
I did.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:54 PM
SuperBike

Ok, I'm all confused. You swapped out the turn signal switch. So where is the black red extra from? The other plug?
Old 12-30-2009, 09:00 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Ok, I'm all confused. You swapped out the turn signal switch. So where is the black red extra from? The other plug?
From the flash to pass..

If I am following this right, the Firestorm switch housing includes a flash to pass switch and a 3 wire turn signal switch. And different plugs.

The Superhawk switch housing does not have the flash to pass switch but has a 5 wire turn signal switch.

So to be able to add the flash to pass switch to his Superhawk, he had to swap both the turn signal switch, and the plugs on the end of the wires. (though the 5 from the turn signal didn't need to be swapped, it may have had to be removed to fish the wires though places I don't know) And he needs to find a "home" for the flash to pass pin.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:01 AM
SuperBike

Close Lazn, only one of the plugs is different.

He replaced the entire turn signal switch from the FS with the SH, and kept the SH plug.

The rest is what I'm trying to discern. The red/black I believe came from the other plug, but on the SH is part of the Right Hand switch. So he's going to route it and splice it, if needed.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:43 PM
MotoGP

The red/black is for the headlight, on the US spec it's used to cut the light on cranking hence connected to the RH switch... On the Euro spec it's used for the flash to pass... Hence connected to the LH switch... So yeah... A splice is probably needed...

About the rest you are trying to discern... I'm pretty sure there is no rest...

There may be need to move a few of the pins in the connectors around to get the right colored wires to line up... But that should be about it... The same wires are there on both US and Euro bikes... With the same colors according to the schematic...

Quick Reply: I need a little help from my European friends...