General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

New member intro

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 08:57 PM
Squid

Spawnbike is on a distinguished road
New member intro

Hi I am new to to this forum but not new to VTR have and still own my 98.
I recently started rebuilding my VTR that i have neglected for several years after a crash.

At this point besides cosmetics the bike is running perfectly except for one issue.
I have destroyed two new batteries. I pulled the battery started the bike with a booster pack and tested the voltage from the battery terminals. Voltage readout is 6 volts with no lights on bumps up to 8 with them on. When revved voltage drops and bike shuts down I am pretty sure i need to replace the alternator. But it does not hurt to ask others for there opinion. Any replies would be most appreciated.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:24 PM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Spawnbike
Hi I am new to to this forum but not new to VTR have and still own my 98.
I recently started rebuilding my VTR that i have neglected for several years after a crash.

At this point besides cosmetics the bike is running perfectly except for one issue.
I have destroyed two new batteries. I pulled the battery started the bike with a booster pack and tested the voltage from the battery terminals. Voltage readout is 6 volts with no lights on bumps up to 8 with them on. When revved voltage drops and bike shuts down I am pretty sure i need to replace the alternator. But it does not hurt to ask others for there opinion. Any replies would be most appreciated.

I would check the R/R first 'Regulator Rectifier'. that is one of the most common causes to most electrical issues on these bikes, here is a link for a thread that covers it all, created by one of the best electrical engineers on the forum:
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...why-how-25117/
Old 12-29-2013, 09:47 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Spawnbike, welcome to the forum. I moved this post to its own thread. Your question was unrelated to bugsys intro.
Old 12-30-2013, 01:21 PM
erno
Back Marker

erno is on a distinguished road
Welcome Mate
Great bunch of guys on this site,and a wealth of knowledge.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:23 PM
Squid

Spawnbike is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by NHSH
I would check the R/R first 'Regulator Rectifier'. that is one of the most common causes to most electrical issues on these bikes, here is a link for a thread that covers it all, created by one of the best electrical engineers on the forum:
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...why-how-25117/

Thanks I did check and your were right. I ordered a new one through Ricks it probably wont come in until he reopens from being closed for the holidays.
Old 01-02-2014, 05:13 AM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Spawnbike
Thanks I did check and your were right. I ordered a new one through Ricks it probably wont come in until he reopens from being closed for the holidays.
I'm glad I could help, BTW, make sure you got the right thing from Rick's, some of the R/R's he sells may not be what you think AKA (MOSFET)

Cheers