General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Greetings - New SH Owner Intro

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 03:04 PM
Squid

Brother J is on a distinguished road
Greetings - New SH Owner Intro

I've been lurking for the last 3 months, absorbing knowledge and ideas for my SH.

My SH: Its a 1998 with 15k miles on it. I am the 3rd owner. Bought it from a friend who had it for 2 years. He didn't do any mods to the bike, but the original owner, someone in NJ, did some good mods. When I got it a few months back, it had the PAIR removed with TBR block off plates, TBR carbon fiber cans, jet kit, polished frame/cases/wheel rims, lower fairing. I bought it for 1500.00, but it had fallen over in a parking lot a year earlier and cracked the fairing in several places and broke the clutch lever. Plus, it had a couple of dents in the tank. Nothing major, but it was stored for many months and the carbs were gunked up. So far, I've installed APE CCT's, rebuilt the carbs and synch'ed them, checked the valve clearances, removed the clip-on's and installed risers and a superbike bar, SS braided hydro lines, added a headlight modulator and "magnum blaster" horns. I am now working on the fairing damage and expect to have it done and ready for a repaint by the first of the year. I just finished repairing some extensive fairing damage to a project bike, a 1994 Suzuki RF900R that I picked up for 600.00. I used strips of header wrap saturated with ABS cement to fix up the shattered faring of the Suzuki. The ABS cement and thick fiberglass header wrap combo work quite well, BTW. Very strong and easier to work with than resin/hardener. Just finished repainting the Suzuki and have my painting skills back up to standards and ready for the SH. I've decided to paint it a darker richer red, perhaps a ruby or cherry metallic shade. My other ride is a 2009 Harley Fat Bob that I modded to resemble a Road King. It has a detachable windshield and hard bags, along with a touring seat and padded low sissy bar. Its red hot sunglo, looks beautiful in the sun. Classy bike.

About me: Well, I'm an old fart. Retired, with grandkids. Been riding and wrenching on bikes as a hobby since I first started out on a Z50A Honda Mini-trail back in 1969. Owned scores of bikes and lived/rode in several foreign countries, including Nepal, Pakistan, Japan and S. Korea, since then. Blessed with a very understanding wife who lets me acquire tools/equipment for a well-stocked garage and basement shop. I also do welding/painting/gunsmithing/machining as hobbies, so there's a lot tied up in tools. But, that's my only vice. I mostly ride the Harley because it is such a smooth and comfortable bike. The SH is to satisfy my need for an adrenaline rush. The project bike is just that, something to fix up and experiment on. Right now, it looking like a street fighter with black frame, wheels and fork tubes. Gun metal blue front fairing, tank and cut down tail. It pops out of 2nd gear, so I'll eventually have to drop the engine and fix that. Probably will go a head and rebuild the engine while I'm at it.

Anyway, that's what I ride and some info about me. I lurk mostly and will throw in some helpful advice when I see a need for it. Otherwise, I just check in and see what you all are doing with your rides. Cheers and have a safe and joyous Christmas season.

ps: I often see requests for pic's. I'll post some up after I get the SH painted.

Last edited by Brother J; 12-20-2009 at 03:06 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-20-2009, 03:14 PM
Back Marker

CANADAVTR is on a distinguished road
Greetings Brother J...you sound like you found a great bike at a good price...and fairly handy with the wrenches too!
Welcome to the forum - I'm also fairly new to this forum and find it a great resource!

J
Old 12-20-2009, 04:48 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
I haven't owned a Harley since the 70's but you have a good mix of both worlds with the addition of the Superhawk. Especially in their stock form, Superhawks are a 'roid crazy' version of a Harley. Not only do you have the luxury of an understanding wife but also the time and space to pursue your interests.

Welcome (officially) to the forum. Now that you're done lurking occasionaly we might could use your help. You have many skills under one tent. Your use of header wrap for plastic repair is interesting.

I like the color idea. Dark Cherry has always been my fav colors for just about anything that has wheels. Especially Corvettes, Pickups, and Bikes.
Old 12-21-2009, 04:19 AM
Sexual Daredevil
SuperSport

Location: Mother Earth- orbiting around Charlotte, NC. But now over the border in S.C.
motojoe is an unknown quantity at this point
Welcome.
Old 12-21-2009, 04:26 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Welcome!
Old 12-21-2009, 06:05 AM
Superstock

NCDave is on a distinguished road
From another old fart....welcome!
Old 12-21-2009, 06:14 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Excellent introduction J. Welcome to the forum.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:25 AM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Welcome aboard J!
Old 12-21-2009, 06:28 AM
Superstock

ttocsmai is on a distinguished road
Welcome from another midlifed fart with grandkids. Where are you located since you bought the bike in NJ? NJ here originally from Maryland/DC area.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:20 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Add in another welcome from an almost old fart that better not have any grand kids.. cuz if so... there is some splaning to do when i get home....
Anyway, sounds like you have a great project ahead and the talent to pull it off. Post some pics along the way so we can see it as the bike evolves.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:23 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by ttocsmai
Welcome from another midlifed fart with grandkids. Where are you located since you bought the bike in NJ? NJ here originally from Maryland/DC area.
I live in the Tidewater/Hampton Roads area of VA. The guy I bought it from, got it from the original owner who lived in NJ.
Old 12-21-2009, 04:15 PM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

j shizzy wizzy is on a distinguished road
Welcome Bro. J!! What kind of guns do you have?
Old 12-21-2009, 04:41 PM
Squid

yamahadm250 is on a distinguished road
welcome from another old fart.looks like there`s quite a few on this forum.
Old 12-21-2009, 04:47 PM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by yamahadm250
welcome from another old fart.looks like there`s quite a few on this forum.
What defines an old fart? I fear I'm rapidly heading in that direction.

Welcome to the board Brother J. Seems like motorcycles and guns go together; everyone I have ever bought a gun from also had a motorcycle.

Last edited by killer5280; 12-21-2009 at 06:30 PM.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:14 PM
Boosted
SuperSport

Syclone is on a distinguished road
Am I really the first to say:

Oh, and welcome!
Old 12-21-2009, 09:52 PM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road
Welcome aboard.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:46 PM
Superstock

AngryOlaf is on a distinguished road
Welcome Brother J. from yet another new forum member. I hope you enjoy your Superhawk as much as I am enjoying mine!

...and +1 for Syclone's statement. Pics are required as soon as you can get around to it.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:57 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Welcome, and don't worry about shizzy, he's really not as twisted as his avatar might suggest.

I'm yet another retired old fart. And I can't describe the only gun I have or I'll get in trouble with the moderator.
Old 12-22-2009, 04:11 AM
Back Marker

aka Yamadog is on a distinguished road
Hey Brother J! +1 on the header wrap/ABS cement technique. Motorcycles, Guns, Understanding Woman, Basement full of tools...You are my Hero!

Last edited by aka Yamadog; 12-22-2009 at 04:16 AM.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:32 AM
SuperSport

Stevebis1 is on a distinguished road
+1
Welcome! Lets hear it for the old farts
Old 12-22-2009, 08:01 AM
Back Marker

Hawknut
Originally Posted by killer5280
What defines an old fart? I fear I'm rapidly heading in that direction.

Welcome to the board Brother J. Seems like motorcycles and guns go together; everyone I have ever bought a gun from also had a motorcycle.
Trust me,You'll know when you get there(speaking from experience).It is kind of neat to pull into a place with a bunch of riders around and here Holy Sh$t - that guy is as old as my Grandpa.Welcome Brother J.I fully understand that adrenaline thing--Much better than Geritol.I push a Wing around when I want to act my age.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:01 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by Syclone
Am I really the first to say:

Oh, and welcome!

Well, I don't want to have this thread considered worthless, so here's a few pic's:

Here's the SH as she is today. Fairing is still a work in progress and the tank needs a dent pulled and filled.

Name:  IMG_0459.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  116.8 KB

Here's the SH the day I brought it home.

Name:  IMG_0443.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  116.4 KB

Here's the Suzuki RF900R in all its fallen glory:
Name:  IMG_0448.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  113.8 KB

Here's a better shot of the Suzuki street fighter project. Its completed, for now, until I finish up the SH and garner motivation to tear into the engine/tranny to fix 2nd gear.

Name:  IMG_0461.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  117.3 KB