General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

New member here

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2005, 08:34 PM
Superstock

Galaxieman is an unknown quantity at this point
New member here

Just thought I'd say Hi. I've been a member on the UK VTR site for quite some time now (even though I live here in the States), but hadn't found this site until someone there cross-posted a link to the extended tank discussion. I'm still waiting for SuperBling to post his results from the long distance shakedown with the VFR tank. Oh, and here's the required photo of my bike:

It's a 2002 model which was red until I tankslappered into a ditch last July. Red and Road-rash wasn't such a hot paint scheme, so now I'm going for the stealth look.

-Jim
Old 04-24-2005, 09:02 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Re: New member here

Originally Posted by Galaxieman";p=&quot
I'm still waiting for SuperBling to post his results from the long distance shakedown with the VFR tank.
-Jim
Ask and ye shall receive........

https://www.superhawkforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=900

Yeah, you guys with the flat black paint jobs "inspired" honda who came out with their own version!
Old 04-26-2005, 06:48 AM
Superstock

Thanks man! That writeup is awesome. Too bad I missed the VFR tank that was for sale on ebay. Given I know a good welder, I may fab up a steel plate to use instead of the aluminum plates you used, and to weld the rear section after cutting off the old mount. Is that a VTR or VFR tank bra? I know they're close, but not sure if the same cover would fit both.

-Jim
Old 04-26-2005, 10:09 AM
SuperSport

NOrrTH is an unknown quantity at this point

I see you have a steering damper now.

How did you manage to get the bike to slap the tank?
Old 04-26-2005, 10:30 AM
Superstock

Passing a truck, wide open in 2nd, leaned back to the right to complete the pass as I was coming off a bridge (metal endplate followed by a dip and bad pavement). I think the front end skipped out, and by the time I realized what happened, it was full on tankslapper. Rear shock spacer (6mm) for quicker turning probably contributed. Excrement occurs.

-Jim
Old 04-26-2005, 10:58 AM
SuperSport

NOrrTH is an unknown quantity at this point

ahhhhhh I was wondering if you had farted around with the geometry. So how do you like the Scott steering damper? Can you feel it at low speeds?
Old 04-26-2005, 11:30 AM
faz
Superstock

faz
welcome aboard!
Old 04-26-2005, 08:38 PM
Superstock

The Scotts is not as stiff as some (Hyperpro, Ohlins), but does well. The fact that it's got two sets of valving adjustments for high and low speed is nice. I've got it set to 15 (22 is the stiffest setting) on the low side and stock on the high side, and its workable in parking lots and the like. You do get used to it. I rode a friend's ZR7-S a couple of weeks back, and the jump back to being w/o the damper was a big surprise.

As for the geometry, I've since found out that in addition to the spacer (which is necessary if you've got the right front springs), I had the rear preload set too high (3 instead of 1), and the front too low (3 lines showing instead of 1). I might as well have been on a TL-R given the headshake I was getting. Turned in like a razorblade though... Well, you live and learn.

-Jim