General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

new forum member saying hi... midlife crisis led me here

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 07:58 AM
Squid

dm440c is on a distinguished road
new forum member saying hi... midlife crisis led me here

as is customary when joining a discussion forum, just wanted to say "hi" to all you unlucky folks who will soon be reading my silly questions ;D I do have some sense of internet forum etiquette from long experience so I promise to dedicate some hours reading before I start in with y'all...

A little about me, I turn 40 next year and decided my first midlife crisis purchase would be to jump back into motorcycles. I sold my last one to pay for moving expenses 12 years ago when wifey and I were much less established financially. Meant to get back into it many times and the moment always passed. I even bought a Superhawk on ebag about 5 years ago but the owner backed out on the sale because he didn't like the amount.

Anyway, got serious about it again a few weeks ago and brought the new purchase home last night... a 2005 Superhawk now resides in my garage. At my advanced age and with the ol' bod showing the wear and tear of years of hard playing I'm pretty sure my first upgrades will be things like a more comfortable seat and hand controls! Thus in a separate thread I will probably begin with that topic as the first of my silly questions.

I started with motorcycles as a kid... a long series of 3 & 4 wheeled ATV's, motocrossers, enduro bikes, sportbikes, standards, and dual sports followed. Back in the mid 90's while I was in college I worked at a Kaw/Suz/Yam dealer and so I was exposed to all kinds of cool stuff. I always had a thing for V-twin sportbikes and so here I am back into it.

I'm a Mechanical Engineer and I work for "a manufacturer of diesel engines". I'm primarily a car guy, dabbling past and present in all sorts of racing, restorations, general hot rodding, and a whole lot of demo derby (thus the aforementioned wear and tear on the bod) but I've missed having a bike in my life and I'm glad to be back.

Looking forward to learning a lot from y'all and I hope to be able to give some of it back.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:12 AM
SuperBike

Old Yeller is on a distinguished road
Welcome from a REALLY old guy (I'm 51). where in NC are you? there are a few of us around.

Consider adding superbike bars for a bit more upright seating, and there's a pretty easy peg lowering trick that helps with knees.

Get yourself a leather suit, boots and gloves and go do a track day. you won't regret it.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:21 AM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

CrankenFine is on a distinguished road
Welcome youg 'un. You have a long way to go. 58 years into this trip I have crashed cars, horses, motorcycles, mountain bikes and rollerblades. Broke a lot a bones but God gave me a head made of concrete, so it's Groundhog Day...

Change the front springs and get a better shock along with that Sargent saddle. Comfort & safety improve dramatically after that!
Old 12-20-2011, 09:35 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Welcome! Great intro but it's missing one thing, PICS!!!!
Old 12-20-2011, 09:43 AM
Back Marker

NH-Raptor is on a distinguished road
Only 40? Just don't try and tell us you're old or that you feel old. Welcome to the forum and enjoy that bike!
Old 12-20-2011, 10:19 AM
Squid

ha ha you guys are doing a great job of making me feel better. My grandfather always said "getting old ain't for wimps" and so I'm doing my best not to be a wimp about it. Still, on the 45 min ride home last night I was amused by how much more cautious I was than I remember being years before, and as I rolled into the garage how the joints and butt complained about the experience. I kinda expected the latter so I'm already prepared to start researching seats and hand controls.

Thanks for the warm welcome
Old 12-20-2011, 10:24 AM
Honducati
SuperSport

jbaxx is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the site and enjoy your bike - I have kept my Superhawk longer than any other bike that I have owned.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:44 PM
Back Marker

Dan Cronin is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the forum. As for your comment "...ride home last night I was amused by how much more cautious I was than I remember being years before" , you're likely more cautious because you've come to know how much broken Sh#t costs to replace. That seemed to have escaped most of us when we were young!

Good luck with the bike.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:19 PM
Squid

KCar is on a distinguished road
Good luck with the bike. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. This forum is the best place for any answer or question you may have, all my research on the bike started here and the people here are great and willing to help.

It was a real pleasure doing business with you and if you have any questions at all please contact me.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:22 PM
SuperSport

zmaniv is on a distinguished road
Welcome.
Almost 41 here. Been riding mine for almost 4 years now. Love it
Aftermarket seats are for wussies done several all day rides, commuted 80,000 miles and done a 12 hour ride to Vegas and back in a day all on the stock seat.
Save your money for fork internals, frame sliders, and gear. Always good gear.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:26 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by zmaniv
commuted 80,000 miles in a day all on the stock seat.
That's gotta be some kinda world record!!!
Old 12-20-2011, 07:12 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Nice intro and congrats on the new bike. You're going to love it once you build it out a bit better than Honda did the first time. It sounds like you have been a motorhead most of your life so you'll fit in just fine around here. The senior members do have a problem with these young guys that don't know which end of the hammer is the working end.

The knowledge base here is almost bottomless. When I bought my Superhawk it sat in the shop until I had time to take the MSF for beginners and returning riders. I spent the entire month reading - every night. After a few rides my build list came together pretty quickly.

Download the Honda Manual for the bike - from the knowledge base. I have it on every one of my machines and use the paper version ($70 at the dealer) rarely but I do use it. If you have a chance at a used one ****** it.

BTW - one feature of the knowledge base is you can't search for accronyms. You can search for Cam Chain Tensioner but you cannot search for CCT. Just thought you might need that bit.

So, welcome! Enjoy the site, enjoy your bike, and enjoy yourself. This place really is about smiling inside your helmet.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:13 PM
Back Marker

MOONSTER is on a distinguished road
80,000 in one day? Lets see now, how many refills would that take?
Whoops side tracked there, WELCOME dm440c, is that right? See that's what happens when you pass 50 & since I'm 58 I'm way past. So how did this thread get side tracked to an age thing anyway? I believe you'll enjoy the Hawk, I've had mine for almost 10 yrs now & can't think of any reason to part with it. Did the superbike bar mod a couple of yrs ago & it was a big improvement. Happy 2 whellin & keep the rubber side down.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:14 PM
New Hawk Rider
Superstock

eersfanpilot is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 97Wolverine
That's gotta be some kinda world record!!!
I agree! I would like to see the set up he is running to get over 3300mph!!!
Old 12-20-2011, 07:15 PM
New Hawk Rider
Superstock

eersfanpilot is on a distinguished road
Yes, welcome dm440c! This is a great forum. Enjoy!!
Old 12-20-2011, 08:44 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Welcome aboard and thanks for the great intro. Post up some pics of your new toy when you can.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:52 PM
SportTouring
Superstock

Onomea is on a distinguished road
Aloha dm44oc,

Mid life crisis? More like getting back into things. Trying to remember when I was 40.
Lots of riding and miles to go. Used to get up at midnight and if it was clear I would be
gone for hours.

Welcome, you will find a wealth of knowledge here. Use the search function and it
will help you plenty, as it has done me. Being that you have rode early on it will
come back. For those who started later in life the body has a lot to adjust to.
I will be 54 next year and plan to keep riding as long as I can. A good seat(I have a seargent) and maybe Helibars go a long way. For me, Riding keeps me Alive.

Ride Well my Friend.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:15 AM
Squid

wow, looks like I'm at the right place, I've joined many internet enthusiast websites over the years and this has to be the most response I've ever received from an intro! Glad to see this forum is so active, I've always found that this brand of resource is the most effective for learning and for problem solving and I often wonder how I ever got anything accomplished back in the old days. Oh yeah, I remember, before internet forums you would dive right in, screw it all up the first time and then after spending a lot of time and money you would figure out how to fix what you screwed up. Anybody remember those days

Thanks again guys, I hope to be able to give back for what I receive. My specific knowledge of bikes pretty much ends in 1999 since that was when I left the dealership job and sold my last bike, but I might find a few posts where I can offer some help. I've been busy busy busy since Monday night and haven't had two seconds to snap any pics of the bike but hopefully Ken won't mind if I borrow his bandwidth to post the pic he had of it in his ad

Name:  IMAG0053.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  118.3 KB
Old 12-21-2011, 02:15 PM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by eersfanpilot
I agree! I would like to see the set up he is running to get over 3300mph!!!
No real secret to the setup, it's a RED SH. Welcome to the site, I hit 50 this year and still riding, just not as long in the saddle which makes the limited range of the Superhawk perfect for me.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:44 PM
Superstock

speedkelly@aol.com is on a distinguished road
Hi there just read this thread. Welcome, whats with so many Superhawk riders in NC? and I'm 47 years young! My goal in life to get me a ticket for doing wheelies when I'm in my seventies!

"Yes your honor, I should know better at my age"

Enjoy your new toy, ride safe.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:54 PM
King of this hill
Back Marker

Cafe Racer is on a distinguished road
Nice bike!

And just like all of the other old farts here. I remember being 40 and starting to race Supermoto. 40 is the new 30. Im not tellong my age.

Miguel
Old 12-21-2011, 02:58 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by speedkelly@aol.com
Hi there just read this thread. Welcome, whats with so many Superhawk riders in NC? and I'm 47 years young! My goal in life to get me a ticket for doing wheelies when I'm in my seventies!

"Yes your honor, I should know better at my age"

Enjoy your new toy, ride safe.
"Old enough to know better, too young to care..."

dm440c, welcome...

And since it seems mandatory, nope... Not 40 yet... But since I haven't grown up already, why should I try to get old before that?
Old 12-21-2011, 03:48 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by dm440c
wow, looks like I'm at the right place, I've joined many internet enthusiast websites over the years and this has to be the most response I've ever received from an intro! Glad to see this forum is so active, I've always found that this brand of resource is the most effective for learning and for problem solving and I often wonder how I ever got anything accomplished back in the old days. Oh yeah, I remember, before internet forums you would dive right in, screw it all up the first time and then after spending a lot of time and money you would figure out how to fix what you screwed up. Anybody remember those days
Welcome to the forum and yes a lot of us old guys here do remember those days.....

As I've had mine since '97 I do kind of like these bikes....

The bike looks nice and if it was a new to me bike my short list of things to do would be
1) Change out the CCT's. Which type you use is up to you and the pros and cons of each type have been well discussed.....

The reason why you want to chage them is you don't know what the last person has done to them or how hard they loaded them or how long they might have sat, unmoving (possibly years at a time).

2) Do the rear suspension to match what has been done to the front.
The stock swingarm has, well lets just say quite a bit of flex in it and the rear shock is about as good as a 2X4 it its stock form.

So either do the 900rr brace or look into the RC51 swingarm swap and then address the shock.

Depending on you budget either have the stock one reworked by Jamie or go with one of his modified F4 shocks. Or there is a Penske listed in the classifieds for about the best price you are going to find.

Have fun with it.
Old 12-21-2011, 04:01 PM
SuperSport

matt365 is on a distinguished road
Welcome! Might want to get some heat on that rear brake lever and bend it back. Good chance it'll snap, so perhaps just bite the bullet and order a new one.

Seems alot here are the over 40 crowd. I've still got 9 years to go on that one.

As for "knowing the right end of a hammer", I'd hope no-one is using a hammer on their bike, lol. Rubber mallot as a "persuader", maybe!

They're all a bunch of good guys around here.
Old 12-21-2011, 04:02 PM
SuperSport

matt365 is on a distinguished road
She'd look sweet with some bar end mirrors, or source out some stockers on here.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:17 AM
Squid

ok, since we're digging in and getting into the details, the bike was wrecked by the original owner real early, sat for 5 years, then the P.O. (forum member Kcar) repaired it by replacing the bent fork with a front off a 2006 R6 using a custom bearing. I'll assume he didn't do any mods to the rear since he didn't mention that and we got fairly detailed in the discussions about value I'll ask to make sure.

The bike has 1,400 miles on it but even with the low miles from what I'm reading this is a potential issue for the CCT's due to the long period of disuse. I've started to study up on this topic here on the forum, once I feel I've got my head wrapped around it I'll put a plan in motion. Probably go the manual route, I'm pretty comfortable with wrenching and maintenance in general.

The stock mirrors are on it right now (I didn't notice at first that they aren't in that picture above) but I don't care much for them. They mainly give me a great view of my elbow which isn't very helpful in city traffic. I think the bar end mirrors would be my choice but I'll probably wait on that until I make a move on raised hand controls and seat to see how the new riding position affects the view.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:07 AM
Squid

woodsrider1 is on a distinguished road
Welcome. Little late compared to the other guys. I too got my Shawk when approaching 40. Kinda got back to who I used to be when I rejoined the military and bought my Shawk. You'll find a wealth of knowledge here and alot of really great people. I'm doing mccts on mine Monday. Again, welcome and good luck.
Old 12-23-2011, 06:58 AM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
Welcome! I've not seen an R6 front end done before, that's very interesting!
Old 12-23-2011, 07:49 AM
Squid

usaabn is on a distinguished road
Heck yeah!

Great looking Hawk....I'm a noob to this site too. Welcome and enjoy the most under appreciated twin on the street.

ussabn
Old 12-23-2011, 08:44 AM
Superstock

kmm996
Welcome... "Growing older but not up..."

Quick Reply: new forum member saying hi... midlife crisis led me here