General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

New Member "Hello!!"

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 03:20 PM
Back Marker

WhOrD is on a distinguished road
New Member "Hello!!"

Hello Everyone, I'm as green as anyone can expect. I've been looking for my first bike and a friend of mine has a 1998 Superhawk. He taught me how to ride on this bike for the past 3 months (I had to have $3000 cash ready just in case I dropped or damaged it). This week I found a 1998 Superhawk with 24k miles. Its not completely stock and could use some basic maintenance. No worries, I wanted a bike which I could get my hands dirty with!!

I've already purchased new fairings (black) and will repaint the tank. She rides wonderfully however the shift from 1st to 2nd is a little sticky. I was almost ready to drop 10k on a new bike, but I fell in love with this VTR and had to have it!

I look forward to keeping this bike as close to stock as possible while restoring its original beauty.

Purchased for $2500 usd.
Attached Thumbnails New Member "Hello!!"-image.jpg  
Old 09-28-2012, 03:57 PM
SuperBike

scottiemann is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the forum!

There's an emended amount of information on this forum and you will learn a lot... my advice, searching and reading can help you formulate good questions that will get good answers answers...

Beautiful bike by the way and it almost looks like it has an indigo full system on it, its hard to tell with all the shadows around the merge
Old 09-28-2012, 03:58 PM
SuperBike

scottiemann is on a distinguished road
Sorry immense was what I meant to type... damn you autocorrect!
Old 09-28-2012, 04:44 PM
SuperBike

HRCA#1 is on a distinguished road
First download the Service Manual. Then before doing anything else read the threads on TPS, Cam Chain Tensioners, Regulator/Rectifier, and of course Carb Setup Guide.

Now having said that go over the bike to determine if any of it has been done, then check all of the service items chain and sprockets, oil and filter, coolant, tires.

I'm being paternalistic but as you said it's your first bike. There are many people here that will help you but make sure you've done a search for the answers first or the Tweety bird might get you...lol inside joke!

Last but not least welcome enjoy your SH they are great motorcycles.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:06 AM
Well take off, eh.
SuperBike

Jack Flash is on a distinguished road
Welcomw Who. Everyone above has given you great advice so far. And as HRCA said, read and use the search engine before asking, you will be fine.

HRCA is right, the Tweety bird is out there and Hawking over us . We've all had to face him some day
Old 10-01-2012, 10:13 AM
Back Marker

WhOrD is on a distinguished road
Great advice, thank you everyone. I downloaded everything I could find relating to service / maintenance.

I spent ~ 12 hours this weekend cleaning the bike, changing the brake pads, replacing the fluids and looking over the wiring.

I already have my License, but I signed up for the "CHP certified" training course anyhow.

In the meantime I'll do what work I'm comfortable with and take her in to the shop for the rest.

@ scottiemann: It does have a full Indigo system, sounds very nice without being too loud.

Great community! I love my "Squid title"

Last edited by WhOrD; 10-01-2012 at 10:15 AM.