General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

New Member...Buying Hawk today 5/23

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 05:11 AM
Squid

xetremex is on a distinguished road
Exclamation New Member...Buying Hawk today 5/23

Hello everyone,
I am a new member and am going to look/purchase a super hawk today. This will be my third bike - 1st being a 750 nighthawk, 2nd being a VTX1800.

It seems like a great deal I am getting - a 98 w/ 23k miles and two HJC matching helmets for $2600. Blue book says this bike is worth $4300. There is some cosmetic cracks to both upper fairings, but from dropping the bike not due to road rash/accident.

I'm not familiar with this bike at all, so is there anything I should be looking at/for today when I go take it for a test drive?
Old 05-23-2008, 05:24 AM
PB215C
Squid

DaddyDuby is on a distinguished road
check for the hawk studder. if it has aftermarket exhaust and the jets weren't done then it will probrably studder between 3000 and 4000 rpms more so in the lower gears. you can't miss it. Other than that, just look for the same things as any other bike .
Old 05-23-2008, 05:36 AM
Squid

It does have an aftermarket exhaust (Jardine high mounts) but not sure if it has been jetted or not.
Old 05-23-2008, 06:33 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Besides the basic overall condition check of things like tires, chain/sprockets, oil, fluids, etc., there are a couple of VTR specific items:

ask about the battery history. Check the regulator rectifier (r/r) which is located under the rear cowl right side (close to your butt when sitting on bike). If it has cooling fins, then it is the upgraded model. If it doesn't, it will need to be replaced.

If the engine makes a loud metallic clanky type sound especially on deceleration, the cam chain tensioners need replacing.

Hope this doesn't sound bad as both of these are easy fixes and overall the VTR is a very, very reliable bike.
Old 05-23-2008, 06:33 AM
Superstock

sassage is on a distinguished road
did you keep the VTX or sell it off before getting the Hawk??
Old 05-23-2008, 06:57 AM
Squid

Sold it a couple months ago

Originally Posted by sassage
did you keep the VTX or sell it off before getting the Hawk??
I sold the VTX a little over a month ago and am going to look/buy a hawk later today.

Old 05-23-2008, 07:13 AM
SuperSport

haknslash is on a distinguished road
Nice looking VTX.

You'll love the hawk. Superbling pretty much summed it up for you. Check those things over and you should be good to go.

Post up pics when you bring it home
Old 05-23-2008, 07:28 AM
Remember stock is BAD!
SuperSport
SuperSport

divingindaytona is an unknown quantity at this point
This thread is worthless without pics

And welcome
Old 05-23-2008, 07:33 AM
Superstock

Originally Posted by xetremex
I sold the VTX a little over a month ago and am going to look/buy a hawk later today.

Ahhh, the illustrious P-4. good looking bike you had. I've never seen chromed switchblade side covers before either

welcome to the neighborhood...you'll love the snap of the Shawk
Old 05-23-2008, 07:46 AM
Squid

Ahhh, the illustrious P-4. good looking bike you had. I've never seen chromed switchblade side covers before either

welcome to the neighborhood...you'll love the snap of the Shawk

Thanks for the compliments! I see you are well versed in VTX-ology. The "illustrious P-4", boy is that an understatement. As for the chromed switchblades, I never found anyone else having these fiberglass covers chromed either, but I got tons of compliments on them. It took me a while to find a place that was willing to do it. But I like doing things to be unique!

Last edited by xetremex; 05-23-2008 at 08:06 AM.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:10 AM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
Welcome aboard! A nice looking VTX indeed! If it still has the stock regulator/rectifier or R/R and is not the later finned replacement you may want to replace it - they have a habit of dying due to overheating... the finned ones, '01 and later, dissipate the heat better and seem to keep on working.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:22 AM
Superstock

Thanks for the compliments! I see you are well versed in VTX-ology. The "illustrious P-4", boy is that an understatement. As for the chromed switchblades, I never found anyone else having these fiberglass covers chromed either, but I got tons of compliments on them. It took me a while to find a place that was willing to do it. But I like doing things to be unique!
yeah, I know my way around the VTX a bit.

for those out of the loop, startin a P-4 (the intake he had on the VTX) thread on the VTX boards is like starting an oil thread here

so can we expect some custom work when you get your superhawk?

Last edited by sassage; 05-23-2008 at 08:24 AM.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:30 AM
Squid

yeah, I know my way around the VTX a bit.

for those out of the loop, startin a P-4 (the intake he had on the VTX) thread on the VTX boards is like starting an oil thread here

so can we expect some custom work when you get your superhawk?
LOL, thanks for the thread comparison on the P-4/Oil.

Well, I built my VTX through bartering with local/national motorcycle companies by building websites in exchange for parts and the paint job/bodywork. I got the fat tire kit and mono shock setup as well. Yesterday I started calling some contacts to see if anyone is in need of a website so that I can at least get a paint job and body repair for the minor cosmetic issues with the fairings. Time will tell, but I don't plan to sink nearly as much coin into this bike - I learned my lesson last time.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:34 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Lessons need repeating... Atleast in my case... Dunno about you...
Old 05-23-2008, 08:42 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by Tweety
Lessons need repeating... Atleast in my case... Dunno about you...
Hilarious!!
Old 05-23-2008, 08:57 AM
Superstock

LOL, thanks for the thread comparison on the P-4/Oil.

Well, I built my VTX through bartering with local/national motorcycle companies by building websites in exchange for parts and the paint job/bodywork. I got the fat tire kit and mono shock setup as well. Yesterday I started calling some contacts to see if anyone is in need of a website so that I can at least get a paint job and body repair for the minor cosmetic issues with the fairings. Time will tell, but I don't plan to sink nearly as much coin into this bike - I learned my lesson last time.
That's definitely the way to go if you can do the leg work for finding the parts. I just rode this last week with a guy who had a 240 kit on his VTX and it got me thinking pretty hard about doing it

maybe some day
Old 05-23-2008, 10:57 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

FL02SupaHawk996 is on a distinguished road

You'll not find more torque/fun per $$$ anywhere
Rick C.
Old 05-23-2008, 11:09 AM
Superstock

rbrais is on a distinguished road
That VTX looks sick! I've been riding my uncle's '02 Retro. Looks pretty fugly compared to the one you built!
Old 05-23-2008, 07:51 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by rbrais
That VTX looks sick! I've been riding my uncle's '02 Retro. Looks pretty fugly compared to the one you built!
Thanks man! Well, I went to check it out last night and was somewhat disappointed in its condition. Basically all plastics should be replaced due to scrapes and cracks. The seller dropped the price again to $2200, but I'm still not sold and walked away. Maybe at $2k I'd be inclined to jump on it.

Speaking of plastics, has anyone bought anything from this ebay seller? http://motors.search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZelegant4tech
He said he could make me a full set of fairings for the VTR (30 day wait), and based on other sets posted they would be between 300-400 dollars. That to me seems pretty cheap. Please someone let me know because if I can get some skins that cheap then at $2k I find it a very compelling deal.

Last edited by xetremex; 05-23-2008 at 07:56 PM.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:39 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
As I knock on wood here, I'll tell you that my '98 still has it's original, non-finned R/R.

Also, let the bike get warm enough that the fan kicks on. When it's hot listen carefully to the motor and if you hear any clicking, clacking, or ticking at idle then the CCTs might be on their way out. It's a very common topic here and all you have to do is search and you'll find a million threads on the subject.

Chain and fluid condition will tell you if the PO has taken care of the bike or not. Most things are usually very fixable and even if the bike has only had 4 or 5 oil changes it's still a Honda and will run for a very long time.
Old 05-23-2008, 09:38 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
So... where are the photo's of this VTR??
Old 05-25-2008, 08:20 PM
Squid

jhiker229 is on a distinguished road
Hi just bought a '98' Superhawk about a month and a half ago. found the forum a week ago alot of usefull info here. have had several bikes before but this is my first sportbike havin a blast on it. If i knew this bike was so much fun i would have bought one alot sooner. here's the skinny on my bike '98' Superhawk red 14,000 miles corbin seat and corbin beetlebags yoshi pipes. That's about all I can think of. when I can figure out how to resize the image I will post a few pics

Jim
Old 05-26-2008, 09:46 AM
Superstock

alive226 is on a distinguished road
Welcome to you and JHiker229. Pictures of your SH's would be nice.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:48 AM
SuperSport

zmaniv is on a distinguished road
Im hoping to pick up a hawk on sunday. This will be my return to bikes after a 5 year vacation, imposed by the wife.
Wrecked my 94 F2 after 9 years and 39000 miles.
I cant wait.