General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

New 'Hawk rider

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 07:10 PM
Squid

KLR996 is on a distinguished road
New 'Hawk rider

Hey guys,

My name is Nathan. I've been hanging around for a little while and have even posted a couple times, but this is my Official Intro!

I just recently inherited my Dad's 2000 VTR 1000. He had it for something like 8 years and while he rode it like it's meant to be ridden, he knows how to take care of motorcycles. The best part... He's in Illinois, I'm in Colorado. That 64 year old lunatic rode this bike all the way out to give it to me, for the price of a plane ticket home!

I rode some when I was younger, but I've been off the bike for a long time (I'm turning 40 in October). I've been Jeeping mostly in the last decade or so. I like goin real slow over big rocks. That's mostly my temperament, slow and careful, but this bike really loves movin through the gears.

I took the Basic Rider Course and I can't believe how much you learn in that class. My brain hurt after the two days of riding and book-learnin.

Throttle control and turning have been my main areas of practice for the last couple weeks... Seems like you could work on those things forever and just keep improving. I'm reading Twist of the Wrist, and Nick Ienatsch sport riding book and trying to absorb and then use it all!

I'm LOVING this bike WAY more than I expected to. I had planned to build a bobber of sorts out of a Sportster. The 'Hawk has really won me over. The twin sounds so mean with the Jardines Dad put on it... It needs some carb work and I've been reading a LOT about that and associated tuning, and I'm searching around for a good mechanic that knows the V and the big carbs of this bike.

I've ridden next to a couple guys on Kaws and Zukis on the way home and their recent model year bikes look really cool, but they've got nothing on the Hawk. It's got way more soul than those bikes! It's just such a freakin hot rod!!

So, I'll be around. If you're in Denver area and wanna let a relative (read, complete) newb tag along, drop a line. I've got kids, a wife and a regular job, but I'd love to work out a ride with some guys and learn some stuff.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:27 PM
SuperSport

jerryh is on a distinguished road
Enjoy! Search "riders tips" here, good contributions from experienced riders

Last edited by Wolverine; 09-08-2013 at 06:24 AM. Reason: removed entire above post quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:51 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Welcome KLR. Big Jeeper here as well:
Name:  DSC03516.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  174.5 KB