Group Rides Get together with fellow riders...

new hawk rider in MD

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 10:59 AM
Stiff Member
Back Marker

turbotim is on a distinguished road
new hawk rider in MD

Tim here from northeast Maryland. Picking up an 05 superhawk this week. Started on an old 86 zx600r kawi junk pile. Didn't destroy it or drop it in 1-1/2 years of riding so I figured I'm ready for the next step. Anyone local that knows the ins & outs of this bike, chime in. I'll have lots of ?'s for the gurus on here. Group ride to the Jefferson hill climb June 6th in south east PA if anyone here is interested. Pretty excited to get a much improved bike. Can't wait to get her on the road. 13,798 miles, 1 owner, never abused for 3k. Couldn't turn it down for that deal. I'll post a pic as soon as I pick it up. Glad to be here. See ya round, Tim
Old 05-25-2010, 11:33 AM
Back Marker

runrowdy is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the forum. I'm in Chesapeake City. Sounds like you got deal! I've had my Hawk almost 12 years now and still love it. I might have learned a few little things about Superhawks over the years but mine has been dependable as hell. Any questions just ask.

You won't see many other Hawks around here which is cool. People always ask what it is. I think I may have seen 3 in the last 5 years.

We may have to hook up sometime but I'll warn you I'm an old guy.

Enjoy.
Dave
Old 05-25-2010, 12:12 PM
Superstock

kmm996
Welcome.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:17 PM
Stiff Member
Back Marker

It's cool. I get along better with older people anyway. Plus riding with the young no fear guys will get you killed quick. Yeah, the fact that these bikes are not common made me like it even more. Every vehicle I've owned was like this. If I wanted something everyone has, I'd own a mustang & a harley. Instead, my toys consist of 250r three wheeler, buick regal turbo (gn), & a supercharged grand prix. Once I get the superhawk in the stable, I'll post a pic of them together. I always wanted to do that. You up for the cruise to the hill climb in June? I have a small group of about 5 or 6 so far. Meeting at WaWa gas station at route 136 & route 1 from 10:30am to 11am. The hill climb starts at 12 noon. If you've never been to one, it's awesome. See ya, Tim
Old 05-25-2010, 01:23 PM
Back Marker

Aw man! Not a 250r. I had an '86 that almost killed me a few times! Beat it so hard I broke the frame lol. Thought I was better off on a smaller 3 wheeler but a 200x tried to kill me too!

Had a '98 GTP for a couple years. We have a lot in common.

Not sure about the hill climb. Gotta check with the boss about the date. I'll get back to you.

Dave
Old 05-25-2010, 02:06 PM
pragmatic anarchist
Superstock

peterpanic is on a distinguished road
I'm right outside Philly. Might be old I guess, depends on what I'm doing or how many beers I've had. Very few riders even know what it is after you explain it. I've seen maybe four in the two and a half years I've had mine, but no other Green one! Green means GO!
Old 05-25-2010, 02:35 PM
Stiff Member
Back Marker

runrowdy, yeah 250r's are not for the inexperienced atv rider. I've been riding nothing but 3 wheelers since I was 4. Still have all my parts & never sent me the the ER. Hopefully my track record will carry over to street riding. Just found out I'll be riding the new bike home tomorrow. Man, I won't be able to sleep tonight! When I get it, I'll probably stay the night in the garage staring at it. Damn I feel like a kid again. Oh yeah, it's the titanium color too.
Old 05-25-2010, 03:08 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the Forum
Old 05-26-2010, 06:04 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Greetings from Gettysburg. I'm right off rt.15. You probably still have a huge grin from the ride home!! Show us those pics. I met a guy with a SH [can't remember his name] that lived near you. Maybe you bought his bike? Does it have a chinese double bubble windscreen?
Old 05-26-2010, 07:08 AM
Stiff Member
Back Marker

no, 100% stock

I'm picking it up today. Haven't rode it yet. Not a lot of work getting done here today with it on my mind.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:19 AM
Superstock

pigwings
Welcome. Lets see a pic of the GN
Old 05-26-2010, 10:31 AM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the site.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:36 PM
pragmatic anarchist
Superstock

peterpanic is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by notakawi
Just found out I'll be riding the new bike home tomorrow. Man, I won't be able to sleep tonight! When I get it, I'll probably stay the night in the garage staring at it.
Why spend the night in the garage, it has lights, right? When I was rebuilding mine I took it up to my sons house in the middle of nowhere and rode around to check things out. First ride on the beast in the dark was very memorable. He thought his 750 Spirit was gonna get him home first. WTF?
Old 05-27-2010, 07:29 AM
Stiff Member
Back Marker

I now see what you guys mean

The bike is an animal. It does everything better than my old bike. Although my hands started tingling a little bit after 30 min, it's probably because I haven't ridden since last season & just need to get used to it again. It sure is easy to speed on these things. 70 feels like 45. Should be on the road by next week. I'll have it ready for the ride to the hill climb by June 6th.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:13 AM
Squid

mattmcgyver is on a distinguished road
Hey How NE? I'm in Baltimore... daily commuter, but we head up into Rising Sun, to MD Rocks SP, and such... nice roads... welcome. Seems to me there's another Baltimore area here too....

Matt
Old 05-27-2010, 10:18 AM
Stiff Member
Back Marker

Harford County. Rocks state park is 10 minutes from me. Def some good roads. I stay on the country roads away from the big towns. Less chance of coming across a jack *** driver. If your up to explore some new roads up here, pm me any time. It's impossible to get lost.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:33 AM
Stiff Member
Back Marker

Originally Posted by peterpanic
Why spend the night in the garage, it has lights, right? When I was rebuilding mine I took it up to my sons house in the middle of nowhere and rode around to check things out. First ride on the beast in the dark was very memorable. He thought his 750 Spirit was gonna get him home first. WTF?
It's not legally tagged yet. I don't want to take any chances of getting pulled over, so I have no choice but to stare at it in the garage. Gotta jump through the MVA's hoops first before I can enjoy. Should be ready by next week as long as inspection goes o.k. Sounds like a lot of local guys here so that's cool. In a year and a half, I couldn't get 1 member from the zx forum to meet anywhere. We'll all have to get together for a bike show some time this summer. Bike week in O.C. was cool last year but too many harleys for my taste. The slutty girls made up for that though. See ya, Tim
Old 05-27-2010, 11:39 AM
Superstock

evines is on a distinguished road
I'm in Germantown MD and commute to DC each day on my 1998 Superhawk. I love it!!

Never seen another Superhawk on the road since I got mine 2 years ago. I've just recently started tinkering with it more and more. I'm probably going to try installing APE CCT's soon, along with the TPS adjustment. Already de-PAIRed it and changed the brake and clutch fluid.
Old 05-27-2010, 12:19 PM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
The bike is an animal. It does everything better than my old bike. Although my hands started tingling a little bit after 30 min, it's probably because I haven't ridden since last season & just need to get used to it again. It sure is easy to speed on these things. 70 feels like 45. Should be on the road by next week. I'll have it ready for the ride to the hill climb by June 6th.
welcome aboard and congrats on your purchase. Hands tingling: possibly tight/tense grip in lieu of light/relaxed grip. If you still have tingling with relaxed grip, it would be a good idea to tighten everything, but this is unlikely. That said, while you're waiting to get legal, it might be a good time to check everything.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:15 PM
MotoGP

I was @ bike week O.C. Here's a pic of the group I was with. We have plans to go again this year. You goin'?

Have you ever gone to the Carlisle bike show. Maybe we could get a group of hawks together this year....
Old 05-27-2010, 02:33 PM
Stiff Member
Back Marker

yeah

Def going to O.C. bike week again. I've been to Carlisle but that was before I had a bike.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:20 PM
MotoGP

Carlisle Bike Fest
Jul 23 - Jul 25, 2010

How about July 24th we have a superhawkforum rally @ the show?

http://www.carsatcarlisle.com/ce/events/bikefest/
Old 05-28-2010, 05:47 AM
Back Marker

Congrats! Yup,The Superhawk is fun fun fun! You do have some good roads up that way. I always get lost up there. I end up in podunk PA, in little towns I never heard of. Thank Dog I have a GPS to get me home.

I can't make the hill climb or Carlile. Kids and their summer schedules. Seems we are allways working around them and their activities. When is O.C.?

Tingly hands? As said, lighten up on the bars and support yourself using your core. The Hawk responds well to a light touch. Watch the gas coming out of the corners 'till you get used to her. All the torque the of Hawk will put you on your *** fast.

x2. Good time to give her the once over. If you haven't got the service manual for specs, download it here
http://www.superhawk996.net/Honda_VT...ice_Manual.pdf

Enjoy!
Old 05-28-2010, 07:51 AM
Stiff Member
Back Marker

ocean city bike week sept. 17-19th. We stay at the Riviera. It's not the nicest place but it's cheap and I like the fact that I can see my bike from the balcony.

I'd like to make it to Carlisle. When it gets closer, pm me and let me know when & where the meeting place is.

I'm def going to be taking it easy on this bike. The power is insane & I don't plan on ripping around on it like a maniac any time soon. I leave that to the off-road riding when dirt doesn't hurt. Plus I don't need tickets either which I can already tell is going to be tricky since the speed on these bikes is really hard to judge. I wonder if I could use that as an excuse to the cops. Tim
Old 06-02-2010, 11:47 AM
Stiff Member
Back Marker

head count

Trying to find out how many we have meeting at the WaWa gas station @ MD route 136 & route 1. I believe it won't be a very large group. I'll be there from 10:30 - 11am to give any one who wants to go a little bit of a window. There is a royal farms store across the street just so you'll know for sure that it is the correct place. Who's def in so I don't leave anyone behind? Hope to see some of you there. Tim
Old 06-03-2010, 04:43 AM
Squid

mattmcgyver is on a distinguished road
Did you guys get a ride together? How did it go? I would have come but I'm overseas in Ireland, just saw a '98 Firestorm for sale in Dublin, stock CCT's, no price tag though... Hope to hook up with you lot sooner or later, I know that Royal Farms.

M
Old 06-03-2010, 06:09 AM
MotoGP

Trying to find out how many we have meeting at the WaWa gas station @ MD route 136 & route 1. I believe it won't be a very large group. I'll be there from 10:30 - 11am to give any one who wants to go a little bit of a window. There is a royal farms store across the street just so you'll know for sure that it is the correct place. Who's def in so I don't leave anyone behind? Hope to see some of you there. Tim
What's the date of this meet?
Old 06-03-2010, 07:08 AM
Stiff Member
Back Marker

This Saturday, the 5th. Sorry, I guess that would be useful. I just found out about another ride with about 30 bikes but I'd rather go see some bad *** hill climb bikes. Plus, the other ride with 30 bikes has some cops in it and I don't want to take any chances if one wants to be a ***** if I crack on it a little.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:36 AM
Stiff Member
Back Marker

correction

Sorry, I meant this Sunday.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:41 AM
MotoGP

Next time

I'm leaving tomorrow for a week in the Outer Banks. I'd definitely like to meet up sometime for a ride. If you hear of any more LMK.

Quick Reply: new hawk rider in MD