General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

New guy with question!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 11:46 AM
Back Marker

Jake D is on a distinguished road
New guy with question!

Hello everyone! I'm Jake D and I live in Kansas City, Missouri.

I have been riding for two years and am trading my '03 Suzuki SV650S in (probably later today if I can sneak out of work) on a '03 Super Hawk. It is at a dealer and has zero miles on it, even though it is an '03 (the blue one).

I am getting it at a pretty good discount, for sure, because it has been at the dearler so long. Actually, the dealer has 3 of them. I need to pick one.

One has a Jardine fulls system on it and the Dynojet Stage 1 kit and a factory lower fairing. It is the most expensive. Zero miles. $7100.

The second is all stock with zero miles. It is going for like $6100.

The third is all stock with 360 miles and a ding in the gas tank. It is like $5500.00.

They all come with one year factory warranties or I can get a 5 year warranty for like $500.

Which would you pick? (Note: I'm getting around $3000 to $3500 on my trade in). Also, where can I pick up a passenger seat cover that is color matched?

Thanks! I'm excited to be here. (Note: I searched my butt of about the passenger seat cover and found nothing).
Old 07-25-2006, 12:10 PM
Superstock

Radiaoktiv is on a distinguished road
i thought you could pick up a new one for around $5800
Old 07-25-2006, 12:11 PM
ole dirty bastard
SuperSport

hawxter996 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Jake D
Hello everyone! I'm Jake D and I live in Kansas City, Missouri.

I have been riding for two years and am trading my '03 Suzuki SV650S in (probably later today if I can sneak out of work) on a '03 Super Hawk. It is at a dealer and has zero miles on it, even though it is an '03 (the blue one).

I am getting it at a pretty good discount, for sure, because it has been at the dearler so long. Actually, the dealer has 3 of them. I need to pick one.

One has a Jardine fulls system on it and the Dynojet Stage 1 kit and a factory lower fairing. It is the most expensive. Zero miles. $7100.

The second is all stock with zero miles. It is going for like $6100.

The third is all stock with 360 miles and a ding in the gas tank. It is like $5500.00.

They all come with one year factory warranties or I can get a 5 year warranty for like $500.

Which would you pick? (Note: I'm getting around $3000 to $3500 on my trade in). Also, where can I pick up a passenger seat cover that is color matched?

Thanks! I'm excited to be here. (Note: I searched my butt of about the passenger seat cover and found nothing).
no.2 my pick,try ron ayers.com for seat unit.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:21 PM
Back Marker

Thanks! I'm kind of leaning towards door number 2.

I don't know about $5800 for a new one. The Honda website says the MSRP for a '05 is just under $10,000. KBB has it at at $6170 for an '03 (and that is a bike with reasonable miles). This (No.2) bike has zero miles and a factory warranty. So. . .

That ding in the gas tank of the cheaper one bothers me. And I have a feeling the sales staff has been cobbing it pretty hard too.

I was wondering if I will be really shocked by the power. My SV650S has about 72 hp (at the rear wheel, had it dyno'ed). I'm used to WFO throttle at times. This is something I probably will avoid like hell on the SH. Any thoughts?
Old 07-25-2006, 01:04 PM
Back Marker

blokeontheend
Numero Dos! You can get her whatever exhaust you want later after you've had some time together. Yes you'll be shocked, but it's manageable. Seat cover? do you mean seat cowl? Those are on ebay frequently. never saw a cover on Sh seat - like sheepskin? jk.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:23 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
The rear seat cowl comes WITH the bike or it did on my new 98 back in '97.

Also, there's no "factory" lower other than the small silver oil filter cover (chin spoiler). It must be aftermarket on #1. Pipes are pretty much considered a must do mod by the majority of owners and a jet kit is highly recommended too if you add pipes. If you aren't comfortable with adding these mods yourself, then you've got to factor that in also. With shop labor, that total would be higher than $1k difference between #1 and #2. If you do go with #1, get the stock parts too. Good spares or you can sell to us or fleabay to defray some costs.

Yup, the 'hawk has a good 30hp over the 650 so mind your manners she can bite hard!
Old 07-25-2006, 03:36 PM
ole dirty bastard
SuperSport

hawxter996 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks! I'm kind of leaning towards door number 2.

I don't know about $5800 for a new one. The Honda website says the MSRP for a '05 is just under $10,000. KBB has it at at $6170 for an '03 (and that is a bike with reasonable miles). This (No.2) bike has zero miles and a factory warranty. So. . .

That ding in the gas tank of the cheaper one bothers me. And I have a feeling the sales staff has been cobbing it pretty hard too.

I was wondering if I will be really shocked by the power. My SV650S has about 72 hp (at the rear wheel, had it dyno'ed). I'm used to WFO throttle at times. This is something I probably will avoid like hell on the SH. Any thoughts?
mine will pull the front end off the ground coming out 2nd gear corners with just a tug on the throttle.
Old 07-25-2006, 07:54 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Nothing like wheelies at 2500 rpm!!! Woohoo!

Anyway, yeah, go for #2. Though the Jardine full system is decent, you'll get more bang for the buck from just slip-ons and a jet kit. Put the other $$ into suspension and a Sargent seat. The cowl should come with the bike. If they don't have it make them order it.
Old 07-26-2006, 07:43 AM
Back Marker

Well, you guys were right. The seat cowl does come with it. I guess they took it off the floor model, but they are throwing it in.
I decided to buy the one with the ding in the tank. Figured it was the more financially responsible thing to do.
The rub is my bank wants to charge me an *** load of interest because it is an '03. Even though it has never been titled in anyone's name before they are considering it used. So I am checking into other avenues for financing. I should know something within the hour. If it comes though, I pick up the new bike tonight.
The lower fairing on the modded bike is not the little silver one. It is blue and basically a fully belly pan. I really like it, but I think I can do it cheaper on my own.
If I end up getting it, like a 90% chance I will, I call dibs on the next pristine blue SH tank that gets sold on here or on flea-bay.
Dibs!

Wheelies at 2500 rpm? Sheesh. I better keep my spurs from jingling and jangling.

One more question:
What is the size of the fork tubes? I bought some Sonic Springs for my SV (.95kg) that I never got installed. I think they are 41mm forks. I may call the guy and Sonic Springs and see if I can use the springs I have in the SH. Thoughts?
Old 07-26-2006, 08:29 AM
Back Marker

One more question:
What is the size of the fork tubes? I bought some Sonic Springs for my SV (.95kg) that I never got installed. I think they are 41mm forks. I may call the guy and Sonic Springs and see if I can use the springs I have in the SH. Thoughts?
Second question: What is the maintenance interval on these bikes? When is the first valve adjustment?

Third question: do they have a manual choke?

Question 3a: How long do they take to warm up?

Fourth Question: if I don't jack with the carbs and I leave to exhaust stock, can I expect to ride this bike with out any carb issues, and provide only routine maintenance?

Fif: Does it have a low fuel warning light?

Update:

I got the money. I pick the bike up this evening at 5:30. I'll still have to observe break-in, but that should only take me a day or so to put 200 miles on it. I'll provide you guys with my noob (to SH) riding impressions tonight.

I'm bummed because I am going out of town this weekend and I won't get a chance to ride at all.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:34 AM
Back Marker

3D02 is on a distinguished road
Fork tubes=41 mm

Second question: What is the maintenance interval on these bikes? When is the first valve adjustment?

Inspect at 16k
http://www.vtr1000.co.uk/maintenance.htm

Third question: do they have a manual choke?
Yes

Question 3a: How long do they take to warm up?
Doesn't take long

Fourth Question: if I don't jack with the carbs and I leave to exhaust stock, can I expect to ride this bike with out any carb issues, and provide only routine maintenance?
Would not worry about carb issues

Fif: Does it have a low fuel warning light?
My '98 does. Like everyone else who rides an SH, you'll become familiar with it.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:57 AM
Back Marker

Thanks guys! I'm picking it up tonight. My wingman is supposed to meet me at the dealer for my first ride on it. Here's hoping I don't get caught in traffic.

41mm! Perfect! I hope the length is right, too. Actually, lenght won't matter because Sonic Springs (Race Tech knock offs) use PVC spacers.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:06 PM
Señor Miembro, Ay Caramba
SuperSport

Scooberhawk is on a distinguished road
I predict you will be very pleased with your purchase. Congratulations.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:14 PM
Back Marker

Thanks Scooberhawk. I would be lying if I didn't say that there are some butterflies in my bread basket. I've never purchased from a dealer before. I hope they don't have any nasty surprises for me. And I hope that I don't loop it leaving the parking lot.

I haven't ridden it yet, but the motor revs just like the SV. Nice and slow (compared to an I-4 sausage moster). I should be able to get used to it fast.

Just picked up the check and now I'm counting down the minutes until I can get out of here.

The Super Hawk isn't as popular as some bikes. You don't hear much about them. Never get any ink in the bike mags.

Is it the best kept secret in motorcycling? I've heard a rumor that blue is the fasted color. Does anybody have an '03 that can confirm this? Somebody said yellow was faster, but that is probably somebody that is bias.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:43 PM
Squid
Squid

Vincent
Black is fastest. Stealth mode and all....

sorry guys, once again the can of worms is open on this one....LOL
Old 07-26-2006, 01:49 PM
Back Marker

My first bike was black and it was slow. GS500. Then the SV was silver. Faster. But I have a blue helmet, and my helmet is super fast. Stops quick too (not as fast as my silver rashed up helmet).

So I've got some evidence that blue is a fast color.
Old 08-07-2006, 09:47 PM
Squid

Jaedcem is on a distinguished road
Your bike (as you now know) does not have a low fuel warning light. It has a digital fuel gauge. (Ducking from flying objects thrown by all the jealous RLOD owners.) Yep, the "new" dash has an actual gauge - and the last LCD bar will blink when you are almost out of gas. Don't let it get to that point, however, unless you can see the gas station ahead.

And have fun - I still think it's the best kept secret in motorcycling.