General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

New guy from Mi.

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 12:44 PM
Squid

Bdalefire115 is on a distinguished road
New guy from Mi.

Hello to everyone!! I am new to the superhawk world and am very excited about it. I have wanted one since college when they came out. I recently traded a 2002 honda shadow 600 in pristene shape for a 1998 superhawk that needs a ton of work cosmetically. My SH has 15k miles on it. The previous owners did so many hack jobs and short cuts on the body after a lay down that now i am picking up the pieces. I will post pics on what i have as soon as i get em.

I can't thank everyone enough already for the great info that i have extracted from this site in the past week or so. First off i was told by previous owner that stator was bad and thru using this site i was able to do some tests and found that it was the R/R which i am awaiting arrival to install and yes i upgraded to the mosfet version.

All in all my bike is gonna need new plastic all the way around. I will do that when i get $$. But for now i have stripped all plastic and have cleaned up all the wiring that was just laying in the tail section under the seat. Yes the CDI and all the brians were just bouncing around back there. The tail section plastic was very poorly fiberglassed and never sanded just painted over. The under tail is a 6 pound hunk of fiberglass. I am hoping to find a stockone to go in there.

Enough rambling just thought i'd introduce myself and thank everyone. Sorry if this isn''t the proper place to do this.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:45 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the forum!
And I'd say GO BLUE but I see you're in western so maybe a Sparty fan?

Last edited by Wolverine; 09-04-2012 at 02:12 PM.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:11 PM
Back Marker

Tebs is on a distinguished road
Welcome this is a great forum full of great people and advice!

GO BUCKS!
Old 09-04-2012, 03:02 PM
the boss
SuperBike

saige is on a distinguished road
welcome to the forum,you are in the right place.
with all the info on here,you will get her moving and looking good again.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:27 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Haha, that's funny. I went from a very nice 600 VLX to a very neglected Superhawk as well. It's awesome to have and additional TWO whole gears!

Welcome!
Old 09-05-2012, 05:14 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by Wolverine
Welcome to the forum!
And I'd say GO BLUE but I see you're in western so maybe a Sparty fan?
I am a Michigan fan! My son just had open heart surgery there, that place is a God send!!

I just added the new Mosfet R/R last night. Need to bolt up tail section and she will be rideable.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:11 AM
Squid

bink is on a distinguished road
welcome to the forum.....I too am a Michigan fan...I'm from west Michigan, just south of Kalamazoo.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:22 AM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
Welcome!!!
Old 09-07-2012, 09:56 AM
SportTouring
Superstock

Onomea is on a distinguished road
Aloha and Welcome.

Looks like you took care of the R/R. I remember when mine went out. Its good that you have been doing the searches. I too have gotten invaluable info from our forum.

Its a good community and has a wide diversity of members.
Good luck on your rebuild. Ride Well...
Old 09-08-2012, 05:43 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by bink
welcome to the forum.....I too am a Michigan fan...I'm from west Michigan, just south of Kalamazoo.
Shoot me a pm some time I'd love to go for a ride. When ever your in town, I see your in Ca. now.

Also I added the R/R seems to be working. However I got stranded at a gas station yesterday. Luckily there was a hill right there so I pushed her and got her going. She runs fine just not sure what to look for next. Maybe battery due to the fact that previous owner would just charge and go I think the battery is shot. I do have a couple of questions though.

One after installing R/R I went thru all my checks that I did prior to install. I get just over 13 volts at idle (500 to 750 rpm). I've read I need 14.5 not sure if thats at a higher rpm or not.

Second. I went through the charging system check list that was supper helpful. Not sure of link or who linked it but thank you. Anyways. The very first check that you do where you check across pos. battery terminal and red wire from R/R. I got .3 volts. Now I got this before R/R change and after. I went thru all pos connections like it suggests and found that they all "looked" good. Should I go thru and actually pull each apart and clean and re attach?
Old 09-08-2012, 05:49 PM
Squid

Also I should say that I have charged battery and let sit for a day or so to see if or how much voltage I would lose thru that time. The battery seemed to hold a charge very well.
Old 09-08-2012, 06:00 PM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
welcome aboard! you may need to check the cold cranking amps.

My horror story started with 1)no start 2) new batt from advance auto 3) next day,no start again 4) rebuilt R/R 5) smoked R/R when I hooked up pos term after neg 6) new Yausa 7) new OEM R/R 8) ......aaahhhhhhhhh I'm in business again

Last edited by nath981; 09-08-2012 at 06:03 PM.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:53 AM
Brooks' Cycle Centre'
Back Marker

superchickencornermonster is on a distinguished road
I'm originally from Newaygo. Now I'm down in Virginia enjoying the mountain roads on my Chicken!