General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Two brothers - issues

Old 08-23-2012, 06:16 AM
Squid

Renderw is on a distinguished road
Two brothers - issues

Trying to figure this all out.. I bought the bike this way so I don't know it's history.
The Two brothers exhausts are very loose fit you can shake the rear of the pipe 4-5" side to side.. is that normal? the clamp seems to have a loose fit but is as tight as it goes (no adjustments)
Do I have a full T.B. exhaust or just the slip-on's I don't know how to tell. the pipe coming off the front head follows the motor very tight you can slide a piece of paper between motor and exhaust pipe but that's about it.. and the exhaust on the left side is rubbing the chain stay, it has a generic clamp on that side.
Any advice here?
Thanks
Old 08-23-2012, 07:26 AM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Well since we're not there the more pics you post of your setup the better. Like many of us I've seen some pretty ugly things done by folks who try to "fix" things on their cars and bikes, and often the first steps after getting a new bike are to straighten out all the stupid stuff previous owners do. If your header has springs anywhere it's a two brothers header. If not it's the stocker. You may be missing the donuts/gaskets (tbr's use them) that go inside the midpipe where they slip onto the header. Without them it doesn't matter how tight you make the clamps. Again the more pics the better and I can probably help you-I could immediately tell you in person but over the internet with no pics is a little harder. A generic hose clamp or whatever probably isn't going to be strong enough to do much. And while low/standard mounts mount to the passenger pegs, high mounts have their own V-shaped hanger that you may or may not have and may have any level of rigging instead. Again take some pics and I can probably help more.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:23 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by captainchaos
Well since we're not there the more pics you post of your setup the better. Like many of us I've seen some pretty ugly things done by folks who try to "fix" things on their cars and bikes, and often the first steps after getting a new bike are to straighten out all the stupid stuff previous owners do. If your header has springs anywhere it's a two brothers header. If not it's the stocker. You may be missing the donuts/gaskets (tbr's use them) that go inside the midpipe where they slip onto the header. Without them it doesn't matter how tight you make the clamps. Again the more pics the better and I can probably help you-I could immediately tell you in person but over the internet with no pics is a little harder. A generic hose clamp or whatever probably isn't going to be strong enough to do much. And while low/standard mounts mount to the passenger pegs, high mounts have their own V-shaped hanger that you may or may not have and may have any level of rigging instead. Again take some pics and I can probably help more.
best picture I figure I could add is a video! sorry about the angle.. held the phone in the wrong orientation.. but its' HD so you can see it well

Old 08-23-2012, 05:32 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Try attaching both connectors of the hanger to the inside of the footpeg bracket (rather than one on each side.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:57 PM
aja
SuperSport

aja is on a distinguished road
What Moore said, and I couldn't tell in the video but it appears you have an aftermarket midpipe and that the can may not have a tight fit to the mid pipe. If it is loose that should be fixed as well.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:33 PM
the boss
SuperBike

saige is on a distinguished road
i agree,attaching the exhaust hanger clamp on one side of the passenger peg should get it all buttoned up.
dont forget to tighten down the passenger pegs too.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:43 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

Do I see a weld bead around the inlets on the mufflers? Looks like it on both sides and I can clearly see it at 0:42. If so it looks like they were somehow modified-not sure why. I've had alot of two brothers mufflers come and go and I've never seen that-it should be smooth and taper down slightly. What I have seen several times is after a drop the midpipe can break the inlet and a chunk will be missing, so maybe these were "repaired" and the muffler inlet is too large. There should be no play between the midpipe and the muffler and you have lots. An example of how they break is shown in the pics below. If I had to guess I'd say that's what happened here and they were "repaired." Without being there in person I suppose you could have the ends of the midpipes expanded slightly to fit the new inlets, or have new inlets welded to the mufflers that are the proper diameter. And of course a correct clamp on the left side. Again also make sure your midpipes have the donuts/gaskets inside so they fit tight to the header. With regards to the header, look at the rear cylinder downpipe (not the muffler midpipe) about 8 inches down the pipe after it bolts to the cylinder head. If it's clamped to the rest of the header it's the stock header. If there is a spring holding it together it's a two brothers header. Judging by the little bit of shine alone on the header (the stocker doesn't shine much unless you wetsand and polish it which almost no one does) you may have a two bros header. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails Two brothers - issues-tbr.jpg   Two brothers - issues-tbr2.jpg  

Last edited by captainchaos; 08-23-2012 at 08:50 PM.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:29 AM
Squid

Well some good tips there.. but maybe a few more pics will help to determin what is and what is not T.B.
Name:  IMG_2147.jpg
Views: 700
Size:  136.9 KB
Name:  IMG_2152.jpg
Views: 620
Size:  189.2 KB
Name:  IMG_2145_resize.jpg
Views: 677
Size:  205.9 KB

[Name:  IMG_2153_resize.jpg
Views: 672
Size:  159.4 KBName:  IMG_2139.jpg
Views: 682
Size:  147.3 KB

Last edited by Renderw; 08-24-2012 at 08:34 AM.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:40 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
It looks very much like a stock header to me, but the rest is just a pile of mismatching parts that someone had left over by the looks of it...

I'd say get the correct clamps for the canisters, or straighten the one that is correct but crooked and get one new... The front of the canister should not have that much play as said, you could have a look, it's fairly common that the ends have been bent in a crash, and by straightening the end of the inner tube, and making it round once again, you can get at much of that play...
Old 08-24-2012, 09:04 AM
the boss
SuperBike

saige is on a distinguished road
is this the front or rear head.
what is leaking from the exaust,is that gas or oil,or a combination of both.
or is it water,i cant tell if that is a rad hose or not.
either way,leak there is really not good.
Attached Thumbnails Two brothers - issues-img_2153_resize.jpg  
Old 08-24-2012, 09:34 AM
Well take off, eh.
SuperBike

Jack Flash is on a distinguished road
I suggest going on the Two Brothers web site, Two Brothers Racing :: Honda VTR1000

And perhaps, call their tech support for available replacement parts for your system because looking at your system, nothing seems to match. After market or not, eveything should be nice and snug, no loose fit or movement.

Large performance companies like Two Brothers, Yosh, or anyone else, always make
things to be perfect fit.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:00 AM
SuperBike

HRCA#1 is on a distinguished road
Looks like you need what TB calles connecting tube gaskets, they should take up alot of the slack.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:04 AM
Squid

I was talking with the TB rep a few times on the phone.. sent him the pics and video.. and then he just stopped responding.. said he would get back to me yesturday but didn't, I guess I'll send him another emial..
Does anyone know if a generic muffler clamp will work?I'm looking for one that I can adjust, like a hose clamp
Old 08-24-2012, 05:05 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

I'll ask again-does it look like the inlets to your mufflers were welded on? It looks like it in the video. And it looks like whoever made the "repair" used a pipe with too large a diameter hence it flops around on the midpipe. Again your midpipes should fit tightly into the muffler inlets. Yours don't. There's your problem. Yes you need the correct muffler clamp for the right muffler, but that still isn't going to fix your other problem. And nothing that two brothers sells short of 2 new mufflers (or at least 2 new inlet caps) is going to fix it either. Again there are also gaskets that go in the midpipes where they slip onto the header (do you have those?) that need to be there. But even with those and the proper band for the right muffler you still have too much play from the "modified" inlets on your mufflers. What exactly is it you hope to fix with a "generic muffler clamp?"

The cheapest "band aid" solution after you verify your midpipe to header gaskets and get the correct muffler strap (and mount them properly as someone previously stated) would again be to have a muffler shop expand the ends of your midpipes to fit tightly to the larger inlets someone appears to have welded to your mufflers.

Last edited by captainchaos; 08-24-2012 at 05:16 PM.
Old 08-24-2012, 05:11 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

Here is the spring on the rear cylinder downpipe I was talking about that will identify a two brothers header over the internet...you'll see in the first pic the stocker uses a clamp, and in the second pic the two brothers uses a spring.

While we're at it take a picture from the side of each of the muffler inlets and I'll take a picture of what one is supposed to look like.
Attached Thumbnails Two brothers - issues-1.jpg   Two brothers - issues-2.jpg  

Last edited by captainchaos; 08-24-2012 at 05:17 PM.
Old 08-24-2012, 05:46 PM
SuperBike

HRCA#1 is on a distinguished road
Actually I think you do have TBR headers. I say that because I bought a set from Inderocker a few months back and have the same spring setup. To be honest I haven't istalled them yet cause I'm waiting for my Staintunes from a forum member so I can't comment on how "tight" they are to the front cylinder
Old 08-24-2012, 05:59 PM
Squid

here is the best I could do to get a full pipe shot and a close up of the spring and weld.. I would say not a home brew as the weld is cromed. the only springs on the entire system is the ones at the very end that hold the actual two brothers pipes

Name:  IMG_2167.jpg
Views: 698
Size:  149.3 KBName:  photono1.jpg
Views: 692
Size:  201.5 KB

Last edited by Renderw; 08-24-2012 at 06:01 PM.
Old 08-25-2012, 03:23 AM
SportTouring
Superstock

Onomea is on a distinguished road
Aloha,

I have looked at your video and my bike. I have a '98 model and am running the earlier
model two bros. carbon fiber C-5 Ovals.

The muffler clamp attaching to the rear peg is very similar if not the same as mine. No slots in the middle, just a solid band. Mine does have a very thin insulating rubber(?)
band that is adhesively attached to the band.

The connector pipe from the mufflers to the header pipe looks to be two brothers. Also the header pipe itself does not look like my factory pipes.

Judging by the hue, it might be the full two bros. exhaust header. The welds on the stock pipe consist of two bands before the cross-over(stock) pipe.

My fit from stock header pipe to two bro. connector is very tight.
With the gray connector donut sealing gaskets it is a very tight fit.

From connector to muffler inlet is very, very tight.

Judging from the striations on the connector pipe it my have been bent in the inpact.
The welding of the inlet of the muffler my have been designed for another bike? My connector has a definate bent to meet the stock cross-over junction. But seeing as yours looks to be a full exhaust I cannot tell.

I will try to upload photos of my set-up for you.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:19 PM
Squid

Finally update. Spoke with TBR. Ordered new clamps and used a pipe expander to expand the end of the pipe to make the TBR exhaust fit snug together. This made the connection strong and the clamps with the new rubber allowed for better positioning and solid clamping.