General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

new gixxer 600 how do we do?

Old 10-06-2009, 04:09 PM
Back Marker

bowhawk is on a distinguished road
I think you can simplify even more. There are those who can ride and those who think they can. Most of us start off in the latter group. I've ridden with good riders and they can can be limit pushers as well, when the conditions permit it. I've been schooled on the Hawk by a big BMW GS and a KTM 525. I've learned to ride in my comfort zone and the best thing I ever did was buy a small KTM. It taught me to carry corner speed and be smooth. I find myself short shifting the hawk all the time and I know I'm going faster. I've done my share of puckerring and it's for the birds. I'm faster now and a whole lot safer. Straight lines are for posers, plain and simple.
Old 10-06-2009, 05:51 PM
JPP
Superstock

JPP is on a distinguished road
Kid that works for me has a dyno'd and chipped new GSXR 600. He can't help stand up wheelies when ever he sees a fast car or hot looking girl. Anyway, he followed me a few months ago somewhere and when we rolled out onto a wide straight road he was taken aback by how he had trouble keeping up, until I was going 70. Which is when I slowed down with traffic infront. He passed on the shoulder standing up. He shifted 2 times for my once. I didn't roll on too hard either. But I could hear him shifting away as the SH just kept growling along
Old 10-06-2009, 07:08 PM
Squid

RuthlessButcher is on a distinguished road
Dude might have spilled his coffee had he leaned any more!
Old 10-06-2009, 08:20 PM
Who are you?
SuperSport

Just_Nick is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by JPP
Kid that works for me has a dyno'd and chipped new GSXR 600. He can't help stand up wheelies when ever he sees a fast car or hot looking girl. Anyway, he followed me a few months ago somewhere and when we rolled out onto a wide straight road he was taken aback by how he had trouble keeping up, until I was going 70. Which is when I slowed down with traffic infront. He passed on the shoulder standing up. He shifted 2 times for my once. I didn't roll on too hard either. But I could hear him shifting away as the SH just kept growling along
Dyno and chipped? That might be his problem, chips suck.
A 600 might be close, but a gsx-r 750 should destroy the SH everywhere.
Old 10-07-2009, 04:37 AM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
This is why I ask. On paper its hard to tell. A stock 600 is making the same power as a lightly modded hawk does. Power to weight at that point is about the same but the powerband comes into play at lower speed roll ons. And the hawks powerband just really can't be beat.

My buddy is a body man and painter and has been building custom choppers for a friend of his. I guess right now they're doing a 144 cubic inch chopper. Said its gonna be fast. Real fast. Lol. I'm excited to see this thing.
Old 10-07-2009, 02:59 PM
Back Marker

bowhawk is on a distinguished road
Hey Ruthless, I'm in Bowmanville. I see you bought the Hawk from GP. I bought mine there 5 years ago. Good to see another Canadian on the forum. Cheers Mike
Old 10-07-2009, 03:13 PM
SuperBike

hey im just outside of niagara falls on the canadian side.
Old 10-07-2009, 03:58 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by uchi
This is why I ask. On paper its hard to tell. A stock 600 is making the same power as a lightly modded hawk does. Power to weight at that point is about the same...
You're correct on HP but the GSX-R weighs 45-50 pounds less than the VTR.

That's its real advantage. If you go to lower gearing, and your friend weighs a bunch more than you, you've got a shot.
Otherwise, fogetaboutit!
Old 10-07-2009, 06:36 PM
SuperBike

yeah im going -1+1 over the winter doing the slip on with jet kit and k&n filter. i guess i have to do some more work then, haha