General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

new gixxer 600 how do we do?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 04:53 PM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
new gixxer 600 how do we do?

I've got a buddy who bought a brand new 600 gixxer. He's very green at riding so we don't push him but he's starting to talk some garbage. I'm wondering in a straight line how a stock hawk would do? Also assuming he actually pulled away how would a hawk with jet kit jardine cans k&n filter and -1+1 sprocket setup do?
Old 10-05-2009, 04:55 PM
SuperBike

drew_c14 is on a distinguished road
bottom line, you'll get embarrassed
Old 10-05-2009, 05:00 PM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
Lots of variables and two different animals. With a pro rider on each bike the 600 will win in any contest of speed--whether it be in a straight line or around a road course.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:00 PM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
You'll be even more embarrassed if he crashes and gets hurt.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:18 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Unless he misses all his shifts or crashes he will have time for a quick coffe at the end of the straight before you show up...

The hawk isn't built for straightline speed... It's meant for having a good time in the corners...

On a roadcorse the hawk is a better choice for a beginner, and with a good rider it can surprise a lot of people...

With a good rider on your favourite twisty road however it can enbarass a lot of more potent bikes...
Old 10-05-2009, 05:18 PM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Work on your skills. A crappy rider will do poorly on even the best bike. A good rider will do well on just about any bike.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:25 PM
SuperBike

thats what i figured. in another post i mentioned my buddies 2010 triumph 675 daytona and how i pull on him every time we get going. and his power to weight from the looksof things is about the same as the gixxers. this guy is as mentioned a green rider. he had a 250 ninja and bought this and hes already dropped the poor thing, luckily it was at about 5 mph and he only took off a mirror. i guess if the smack talk keeps up were gonna have to hit my favorite twisty road and hope for the best, lol.

hey l8rgyz do you have any pics of your bike withthe jardine high mounts? i jsut bought a set of black jardine high mounts from a guy on here and i wanna get an idea of what theyre gonna look like
Old 10-05-2009, 06:34 PM
Superstock

t-dogg is on a distinguished road
Seriously, Im not sure why you even care about beating this guy in any aspect. Don't listen to his smack. If you wanna smoke him, get a faster bike, plain and simple. The technology is way more superior than our bike but you get what you pay for. I think the uniqueness of the hawk makes up for what it lacks in...
Old 10-05-2009, 06:52 PM
SuperBike

i agree. i just have a competitive nature in me and its friendly for the most part maybe if the smack talk gets too much ill jsut make him chase me through a few fast corners and let him find the field, lol
Old 10-05-2009, 06:54 PM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

j shizzy wizzy is on a distinguished road
Those bikes are gay.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:57 PM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

j shizzy wizzy is on a distinguished road
Like Comedo said... If you take a new rider out and entice him to ride past his limits, someone could get killed. Be the bigger man and teach him to develop his skills.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:23 PM
SuperBike

thats exactly why i havent pushed him yet but theres nothing worse than a guy who possesses zero riding skill and talks like hes been riding for 20 years. oh well, all in good fun, ill give him till the middle of next season and then see how hes riding. guy bought the bike and hasnt been out on it, claims he rides bt no ones sees him or rides with him, seems like a waste of money to me
Old 10-05-2009, 07:33 PM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
Here ya go, Yellow bike with Black Jardine High mounts.

Name:  c9a856bf.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  567.8 KB

Now it has a single on the left side, might go back to duals, but with custom mid-pipes. My heals were hitting the mid-pipes, that's why I changed it up.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:11 PM
Captain Chaos
Squid

sweetriden76 is on a distinguished road
I have many years of riding experience where as my good friend who I ride with has only been riding for about 2 years, well last year he bought a 2005 ninja 636, which is pretty fast for a 600 class bike, although I can still walk him on the straights and really get ahead in the corners. I dont push him to race or go faster though cause I'd rather he be scared of the bike and safe then dumb and in the hospital or worse, but we regularly will drag upto around 120mph on the straights and the hawk always at least stays with his bike, I think if we switched though the ninja would walk the hawk as long as you get the RPM up and keep it there, but around town from light to light the hawk will always win since the power is right there when you need it.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:45 PM
Back Marker

Red_Liner740 is on a distinguished road
once again, unless u're at top speed where the hawk is out of the RPM range, u'll beat him....

if u guys do a roll on from 60km/h u will destroy him...

BTW, Uchi, how do u like your -1+1 sprockets? i wanna try it....
Old 10-05-2009, 08:53 PM
Back Marker

super duper hawk is on a distinguished road
In 98-99 the hawk was the fastest 0-60 mph stock production bike so race him 0-60.........
Old 10-05-2009, 09:46 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Back when I rode with a group, 20 to 28 years ago, we wouldn't ride with a guy like you're describing. Our basic rule was "Everyone rides at their own pace, and eventually we'll all meet up at a junction or turnout". In those years we had 2 guys crash while riding with us. Both were relatively new riders trying to keep up and getting over their heads in a corner.

Here in Southern California you read in the paper all to often about a rider who got killed when he "lost control". Quite often on a straight road.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:32 AM
Back Marker

Red_Liner740 is on a distinguished road
^^ Yea

went to a group ride a few weeks back and there was a guy who showed up on a brand new gixxer 600 (thats how i know u'd take one). The guy showed up in snakeskin pointy shoes and no gloves with just a textile jacket on and jeans....

he was right behind me the entire ride, kept going wide, until finally he target fixated onto a patch of sand and panicked and went straight off the road onto someones front yard. believe me, we werent close to the limit of the bikes, but he reached his limit.
Old 10-06-2009, 04:37 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Red_Liner740
once again, unless u're at top speed where the hawk is out of the RPM range, u'll beat him....

if u guys do a roll on from 60km/h u will destroy him...

BTW, Uchi, how do u like your -1+1 sprockets? i wanna try it....
im still look for a rear sprocket, front should be here this week or early next. waiting to find a good price on a rear right now but from having regeared one of my quads ill tell you that its well worth the money. turned it into a whole different kind of animal. hey i gotta rejet over the winter im gonna have to pick your brain maybe see if i can copy your numbers and then fine tune from there

Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
Back when I rode with a group, 20 to 28 years ago, we wouldn't ride with a guy like you're describing. Our basic rule was "Everyone rides at their own pace, and eventually we'll all meet up at a junction or turnout". In those years we had 2 guys crash while riding with us. Both were relatively new riders trying to keep up and getting over their heads in a corner.

Here in Southern California you read in the paper all to often about a rider who got killed when he "lost control". Quite often on a straight road.
were the same way, we have a route we usually run and have 2 or 3 stops along it that we make and we meet people at those while taking a break

Originally Posted by Red_Liner740
^^ Yea

went to a group ride a few weeks back and there was a guy who showed up on a brand new gixxer 600 (thats how i know u'd take one). The guy showed up in snakeskin pointy shoes and no gloves with just a textile jacket on and jeans....

he was right behind me the entire ride, kept going wide, until finally he target fixated onto a patch of sand and panicked and went straight off the road onto someones front yard. believe me, we werent close to the limit of the bikes, but he reached his limit.

crazy, i had that happen twice to me in milton running the back roads off appleby a few weeks back, i entered a corner not even going too fast something caught my eye i lost my line and had to break both time real hard. stayed on the road. ive gotten much better at watching where im going now. thats enough to spook someone.

erik i could have sworn i replied to your message, must have not hit send or maybe i replied in another post, lol. that looks wicked man, the only difference between our bike is ive got black wheels and you have flush mounts. other than that its the same, looks wicked
Old 10-06-2009, 05:13 AM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
Uchi, they're black now. Single exhaust. New LP flush mounts (don't have a pic of these yet). May go back to duals this winter. Probably keep them in a mid position like the single that is on it now. Lots of room for the My size 13 boots.

Old 10-06-2009, 05:41 AM
SuperBike

Looks good man. Really like those wheels. How do you like the bikes performance with the single vs the duals? Also what's it sound like with only 1 can vs 2?
Old 10-06-2009, 06:18 AM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by super duper hawk
In 98-99 the hawk was the fastest 0-60 mph stock production bike so race him 0-60.........
July '97 Cycle World

'98 Superhawk 0-60 3.0

'98 YZF1000R 0-60 2.6

'98 CBR1100XX 0-60 2.7

'98 TL1000S 0-60 2.7

'98 ZX-11 0-60 2.8

'98 ZX-9R 0-60 2.8

'98 RF900R 0-60 2.8

'98 T595 0-60 2.8
Old 10-06-2009, 06:46 AM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

Why not just put your cards on the table and go to a dragstrip? This is the second post in as many months regarding "who's faster." I can tell just from the tone of your posts about this stuff that your buddies don't sound very mature (how old are they?) and have obviously never been/seen someone get hurt really bad from being stupid and not accepting their present skill level and riding inside of it. **** talking/being competitive with no skills is a recipe for disaster. And at least for me, arguing about which of these bikes is faster in a straight line ranks right up there with the kids who argue who's high 14 second civic is faster? Who cares? There's a young girl down here in Ft Lauderdale who rides around on a turbocharged Hayabusa...250hp-game over lol. And for $3500 I can find a nice used R1 all day long, not to mention what your buddy spent on his gsxr. Anyway try to be the bigger man and calm your friends down. Don't encourage them and at the end of the day you'll probably keep something bad from happening.

Last edited by captainchaos; 10-06-2009 at 07:16 AM.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:09 AM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

I had an older gsxr600. It had a built 600 supersport race motor and put down 105 rwhp on a half tank of nutec. It was night and day compared to the superhawk. Very twitchy and nervous and honestly way more bike than I was rider in the turns. The superhawk on the other hand was like an easy chair. I used to ride inside my friends all the time on much faster bikes simply because it's so much easier to ride at an 8 or 9/10ths pace on. That's the beauty of our bikes. And it's all rider. I've been behind a Gold Wing (sparks flying) on a Zx12 and was downright in awe on how hard the guy was pushing that thing.

Last edited by captainchaos; 10-06-2009 at 07:11 AM.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:29 AM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
Honestly, I have ridden with a lot of beginner riders, and a lot of experienced riders who can't keep up. I discovered there are 3 types of riders who can't keep up.

1: those who know their limits and ride their pace
2: those who try to keep up and lie to me when you ask them about their comfort (ie pucker moments)
3: Those who make excuses or brag about their non existent skills.

It only takes a few turns and a stop to find out which one they are, 2 and three are dangerous. Everyone I have met in those slots recently have crashed this year, not with me by the way. I set pace in a way I hope to keep everyone safe. The most dangerous attitude to have out there is to think that you are better than what actually are. Humility and riding go hand in hand.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:38 AM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

Originally Posted by cornandp
Honestly, I have ridden with a lot of beginner riders, and a lot of experienced riders who can't keep up. I discovered there are 3 types of riders who can't keep up.

1: those who know their limits and ride their pace
2: those who try to keep up and lie to me when you ask them about their comfort (ie pucker moments)
3: Those who make excuses or brag about their non existent skills.

It only takes a few turns and a stop to find out which one they are, 2 and three are dangerous. Everyone I have met in those slots recently have crashed this year, not with me by the way. I set pace in a way I hope to keep everyone safe. The most dangerous attitude to have out there is to think that you are better than what actually are. Humility and riding go hand in hand.
Well said. I think I also had the luxury in the past of hanging around with some professional stunt riders, and humility comes pretty fast when you see the skills some people have. At that point you just ride your own ride and have fun. Mature riders, regardless of their skill level, always keep in mind the skill level of the other riders and make the pace comfortable for everyone.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:11 PM
SuperBike

Don't get me wrong I'm far from the guy instigating thingd but I love a good ball busting. Ill talk my smack talk and I know where my limits ride. Ill push the limits slowly to improve myself but I won't take a 30 corner at 70 today and at 100 tomorrow. I gradually work up to it. I'm far from the fastest in my group but having ridden downhill bikes and racved my quads I've found that I've picked up on the bike very quickly. But still I don't over ride my abilities and as much as I may ball bust I won't make anyone over ride their limits. Some people though just shouldn't talk smack . My oyther post was I believe asking why my bike was faster than a bike with more powerand to see how it would stack up to my bike
Old 10-06-2009, 01:17 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Indeed, here is proof that it is not the bike, but rather the rider that matters:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nrMQ3QwyPo

Yes, his BIKE is faster.. but he probably isn't and could easily kill himself trying to be.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:08 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Actually since the rider filming is on a similar goldwing as the one in front this is even more impressive... You can hear him decking out in most turns... But no matter what, these two keep a higher pace through there than a lot of people I have seen on half as big bikes...
Old 10-06-2009, 02:19 PM
SuperBike

One of the instructors at my riding school has a goldwing. Guy leans it hard. Said the last time he dragged the pipes with his wife on the back he caught **** for it and hasn't done it since. Lol.

Quick Reply: new gixxer 600 how do we do?