General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

NEED MEASUREMENT (please)

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 07:11 PM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

joshuatest is an unknown quantity at this point
NEED MEASUREMENT (please)

Ok... (stock bike please, no fork swap bikes, or reworked forks bikes)

Can somebody please measure from the bottom center of the headlight straight down to the front fender? Also, can you please measure how many mm between the top of the clip on, and the lock ring on your fork tube...

I recently had Greg magically improve my forks, and I had to compensate for stiffer springs when reinstalling the forks, however my bike looks like the front sits taller now, and i want to get another measurement to compare against...

I measured with bike on kick stand, wheel straight ahead, and from the bottom of the headlight (in the center), straight down to the fender.

OR, if you have a easier measurement, just let me know what you measured to and from...

EXAMPLE

Thanks guy's..
Old 05-20-2008, 07:57 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Josh, did you raise the forks in the triples by 10mm over stock? That was in the directions I sent you. It compensates the ride height for the stiffer springs.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:05 PM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

Originally Posted by Hawkrider
Josh, did you raise the forks in the triples by 10mm over stock? That was in the directions I sent you. It compensates the ride height for the stiffer springs.

Greg,

Yes, I did.. but it just looks like its sitting nose high for some reason. Its not off horrible or anything, but i just didn't remember it looking nose high like that before.

I have tomorrow off, and just figured it would be a good time to tweak it if needed.

I haven't really gained enough nerve to be able to say I can tell if the rake feels different or not. I've been kinda grampa riding lately.. lol
Old 05-20-2008, 08:08 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
Josh; fwiw, I measured with bike on side stand and wheel straight and got 130mm from top of fender to headlight plastic. That's with 4 lines showing on the preload adjuster, front end all stock and forks clamped as when new. But I think you're better off talking to Greg than getting measurements that will probably vary bike to bike.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:14 PM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

Originally Posted by RK1
Josh; fwiw, I measured with bike on side stand and wheel straight and got 130mm from top of fender to headlight plastic. That's with 4 lines showing on the preload adjuster, front end all stock and forks clamped as when new. But I think you're better off talking to Greg than getting measurements that will probably vary bike to bike.
Thanks... Yea, Greg gave me a +10mm figure on reinstalling them, I just kinda wanted to double check the measurement... I didn't take exact measurement on the clip on to lock ring measurement because it was so close. So even though I added 10mm, I added 10mm to a eyeball measurement in the beginning...

BTW.... I LOVE the forks... With having HORRIBLE roads around here, I can now cruise down the road, and not feel like I'm riding a bull for each bump in the road... The forks take the bumps so much better now.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:20 PM
RK1
MotoGP

Josh; I'm curious, what measurement did you get from fender to headlight?
Old 05-20-2008, 08:29 PM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

from headlight (where it meets the plastic under it) to fender I got aprox 122mm, and from front bottom of headlight straight down I got aprox 135mm....

Hmmmmmmmmm...

And from clip on to lock ring I'm at aprox 14mm...
Old 05-20-2008, 09:05 PM
RK1
MotoGP

I got the 130mm from the bottom of the clear plastic to the center top of fender with the flat of the tape touching blue lip under the headlight, so you've got 5mm more than I do. I think you're best bet is to pull the clipons, see if you really do have 10mm and take it from there.

Also remember I've got stock springs with light preload, lots of sag, and 4mm spacer over rear shock, so my front is relatively low.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:11 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
The extra ride height will make a small difference, probably 1-2mm. the biggest difference will be in stiction. You need to take this into account when doing these types of measurements. That way you are comparing apples to apples. Try measuring the same distance BUT with the bike straight up and down and after compressing the front end and slowly letting it up. Or better yet, do an average of the two measurements, one compressing and one extending, just as you would for sag measurement.
Old 05-21-2008, 08:00 AM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

I think i'm just gonna swing by the store today and get a "easy button"...

It is very possible that this is all in my head.... I'm just judging that looking at the bike from the side, it looks taller in the front than i remember it...
Old 05-21-2008, 01:15 PM
RK1
MotoGP

Josh;

This might help if you're still unsure about how much you raised the tubes. I ran a straight edge across the top flats of the both fork caps and measured with a dial caliper up from the top surface of the top triple clamp. Got 1.655 inches.