General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

My poor old Firestorm

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 03:09 AM
idiot
Squid

poorider is on a distinguished road
My poor old Firestorm

I purchased a 2004 Firestorm this year in march it had done 2.5 k now 3.5 k.miles
Out last week a loud ticking appeared from the front cylinder. Into the dealer who says the cam bearing seated in the head has 'burnt out' and damaged the seat in the head itself. The route cause still under investigation but definitely a new cylinder head is needed- it may be that insufficient oil has been reaching this bearing. Perhaps a blocked oilway. I dont need to say how much this is going to cost you can well imagine. Anyone ever come across a fault like this before??
Old 10-11-2007, 04:20 AM
ole dirty bastard
SuperSport

hawxter996 is an unknown quantity at this point
wheelies are prob the biggest culprit.
other than that its a new one on me.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:33 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by poorider
Into the dealer who says the cam bearing seated in the head has 'burnt out' and damaged the seat in the head itself.
It sounds strange and also there are no "cam bearings" as the cam runs directly in the head, so that kind of makes me wonder what the dealer is talking about.....
http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/200_03...0&parent=13160
Old 10-11-2007, 02:48 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Failed CCT?
Old 10-13-2007, 10:56 AM
idiot
Squid

So today I went to the dealer to view the problems with the bike. As you say Hawk the bearing is indeed the head itself. On the exhaust side this had severe scouring and the head itself needs to be replaced and the camshaft. The cause is oil starvation. It seems incredible that the oil supply comes up a 1/4" channel through the 'barrel' part of the engine until it reaches the head gasket. Here the pressure is controlled by reducing that hole to less than "1/16" and that hole had become blocked. The substance blocking it I have seen and it looks like a hardened burnt deposit. It is not metallic e.g. swarf but will crack under pressure by the finger nail. So the whole engine needs to be flushed. The parts and labour quoted are c2k GPB (Gulp). I did consider scrapping the bike but it cost me (somewhat over the odds) 4k in March and I had only just got the thing as I wanted it -lower fairing, Zero Gravity screen etc . and this was one of the last models relesed in UK.
Of course there is the worry that this could recur but I suppose the odds are against it. ( I hope).
I'm no engineer but it seems odd there is no liner or shell in these bearings but I am told this is common practice and not only with Honda.
Also so it seems a miracle such a small whole for the oil flow doesn't block regularly.
Commiserations and crying on my behalf would be appreciated.
Old 10-14-2007, 12:28 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
The oil goes through the filter before it goes to the rest of the motor. Check your filter for damage and if it failed then sue the crap out of the manufacturer.
Old 10-14-2007, 06:08 AM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by hawxter996
wheelies are prob the biggest culprit.
other than that its a new one on me.
This is one of the biggest falsehoods I've seen. The oil supply comes from one point and is a pressurized system. There is no difference between the front head, rear head, crank etc with both wheels on the ground or when doing a wheelie. The only effect a wheelie can have is by moving the oil away from the pump pickup thereby dropping pressure in the entire system.

This failure does sound like a blocked passage. I'd try to get Honda to pick up some, if not all, of the cost as this can only be from a manufacturing defect. It's possible, Honda isn't perfect. For example, when I replaced my thermostat I found a huge aluminum chip from the drilling of the thermostat housing trapped inside. It was so big that it couldn't go anywhere, luckily! It might explain why my temperature was sometimes a little erratic! I'd at least investigate this with Honda and see what happens, it certainly can't hurt!

Last edited by JamieDaugherty; 10-14-2007 at 02:43 PM.
Old 10-14-2007, 01:52 PM
idiot
Squid

Thanks for these replies
Old 10-14-2007, 03:51 PM
Superstock

redman is on a distinguished road
I'm with Jamie. 3000 miles and a problem like this??? Should be under warranty even if second hand. If you make enough noise, they'll pay for it. Write registered letters to Honda at all levels you can find addresses for and keep at it.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:43 AM
Back Marker

Besucher98
Complain, complain, and insist some more. They should cover it then! May even have to request and independent review be done... then Honda will cover it.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:17 PM
SuperSport

Hotbrakes is on a distinguished road
I'm glad to hear that wheelies shouldn't affect lubrication. I'm waiting for new sprockets (15-43) and I'm gonna go for 4th gear. They do kill rear tires though.