My Northern California Trip on the Hawk

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 09:49 PM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
My Northern California Trip on the Hawk

Hi all,

I just wanted to share a few pics from the 4 day motorcycle trip I just got back from to Northern California. I left on Fri and came home on monday. I covered about 1200 miles with my dad who was on a cb 750c. We had an awesome time getting to the Avenue of the Giants where the huge redwoods are. It was an amazing sight I have to admit more spectacular then I had even thought. Some of the highlights getting there where the Oregon coast view, we stayed at Humbug Mt State park in southern Oregon the first night and ended up at the redwoods on day 2. My dad was a beginner rider so we took it easy. I have to admit though I did have a few laughs. I always told him he would drop his bike eventually and he always told me he was going to be different then most so when he stalled and dropped his bike it was worth a laugh after I asked him if he was ok and picked his bike back up. He learned a valuable lesson that day. He is no different then the rest of us riders. Day two went flawlessly, but on day 3 I let my dad take the reigns of the hawk to feel the difference in torque and suspension. Two minutes later he's geting pulled over by the CHP I am not joking it really was only two minutes. The end result he was doing 83 in a 65 and could not get out of the ticket, although the officer was gracious enough to reduce it on the ticket to 73. The humor for me is my dad has never had a ticket and he drives normally like a grandma in a car, but on my superhawk he gets himself his first ticket.
P.S. What do you think of my sissy bar I made it myself? Also notice my on the fly needle adjustment.
Attached Thumbnails My Northern California Trip on the Hawk-motorcycle-california-005.jpg   My Northern California Trip on the Hawk-motorcycle-california-009.jpg   My Northern California Trip on the Hawk-motorcycle-california-024.jpg   My Northern California Trip on the Hawk-motorcycle-california-018.jpg   My Northern California Trip on the Hawk-motorcycle-california-037.jpg  

Old 08-12-2008, 09:55 PM
Uhhhhh..huh.huh..Member..
Superstock

Springbubba is on a distinguished road
Thats Awesome! Your sissy bar can double as a side car... I can't wait to do a long distance journey. What was your mileage like? I've been in those redwoods before, they are amazing. Good times!
Old 08-12-2008, 10:00 PM
SuperBike

I was getting between 37 to 41 mpg. Considering my pilot jets where still messed up from the dealership fubar I was satisfied with the numbers. Before though I was getting 130 before the light this time my best was 122 oh well.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:17 AM
Superstock

andy9743 is on a distinguished road
any info on your front fairing? the dual lights are awesome! looks like a great time!
Old 08-13-2008, 12:45 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Dude, you realize you can never, ever let your dad forget about that test ride ticket! LOL

Interesting 999r style headlight treatment.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:37 PM
SuperBike

Thanks guys. I will never let the ticket be forgotten. The fairing is a sharkskins race fairing I modified to accept the headlights I was using when I ran it naked last summer. I had to custom fab a headlight bracket and also had to wire in another circuit to handle the added load as well as to be able to shut one (the top) headlight off. The hawk actually makes one hell of a touring bike for a guy my size 5 10. I really was comfortable the whole ride. I am going to eventually get some cortec bags and increase the time I can comfortably be gone. Next year maybe the grand canyon who knows.
Old 08-13-2008, 04:38 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Hey, nice pics. I was in NorCal earlier, right after MotoGP. If you don't mind I'll post some pics of my own. That's not really threadjacking, is it? We can compare big tree pics though.
Old 08-13-2008, 05:27 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Thanks for sharing, looks and sounds like an awesome time! Those are some killer passenger accommodations you have there Kinda like a throne...
Old 08-14-2008, 07:04 AM
SuperBike

only goldwing treatment for my pillons.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:18 AM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
Some nice pics! lol on the "goldwing treatment"
Old 08-14-2008, 07:27 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Here's a few from my trip...
Attached Thumbnails My Northern California Trip on the Hawk-dsc02012-sm.jpg   My Northern California Trip on the Hawk-dsc02013-sm.jpg   My Northern California Trip on the Hawk-dsc02048-sm.jpg   My Northern California Trip on the Hawk-dsc02053-sm.jpg  
Old 08-14-2008, 07:49 PM
SuperBike

Are those trees from the Avenue of the Giants? On my dads camera we got a few shots of the really big ones. What did you think of the area? To me it kinda had an erily quiet to it that was different then other forests ive been in. Although its probably me being weird or the endorphins from having such a fantastic ride kicking in.

Hawkrider, its not thread jacking its thread improving see we all sometimes want to improve the overall feel and length of our threads and we all like to help others do the same. LOL actually I don't really care what anyone says or does that is what makes the forum have character.

Last edited by Little_Horse; 08-14-2008 at 07:52 PM.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:10 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Yeah, that was the Avenue. We got on heading North and took it up about 50 miles to the second exit back onto the freeway. I passed the drive-thru tree but they wanted money to get in and we were in a hurry so we passed on it. (The group started out about 5 hours late due to a dead battery on a Buell that wouldn't take a charge.) We also saw the house made from a tree - looked more like a small camper, but hey, it way pretty cool anyway.

It was pretty surreal. There were three distinct parts of the forest that I noticed, where the trees were different sizes and the ground was just different - like mossy or something. Certain areas the redwoods blocked out all light so nothing else would grow. There was a part of the road where it was probably 50-75' between trees but you couldn't even see the sky! And holy crap, were those ******* TALL!
Old 08-14-2008, 08:16 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Okay, here's some more. The trip started out at SHOG, and a day trip to Wheels Through Time with Don and Dawn where the $400k Crocker did a few burnouts. There's a few Blue Ridge Pkwy pics. Sorry about the last one. The wife said, "Gimme a pose!", so I did!
Attached Thumbnails My Northern California Trip on the Hawk-dsc01713-sm.jpg   My Northern California Trip on the Hawk-dsc01819-sm.jpg   My Northern California Trip on the Hawk-dsc01821-sm.jpg   My Northern California Trip on the Hawk-dsc01835-sm.jpg   My Northern California Trip on the Hawk-dsc01830-sm.jpg  

Old 08-14-2008, 08:20 PM
Administrator
World Champion

We then trailered to St. Louis, where I did a track day at Gateway (no pics, all video), then on to MotoGP where the NoMar crew and I were vendors. After the races we trailered north to Fort Bragg, spent the night and took off north to Redwood Forest and further north to Crater Lake.
Attached Thumbnails My Northern California Trip on the Hawk-dsc01956-sm.jpg   My Northern California Trip on the Hawk-dsc02026-sm.jpg   My Northern California Trip on the Hawk-dsc02051-sm.jpg  
Old 08-15-2008, 07:10 AM
SuperBike

That pose is what I sometimes do after hitting really hard bumps and slamming into my tank...

I have been meaing to make a trip out to crater lake myself it just happens to be a bit far for the wife and I to be comfortable on the hawk the whole way.