General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Motorcycle Detailing

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 11:00 AM
Squid

ruajohnson is on a distinguished road
Motorcycle Detailing

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can/can't use to clean my bike up. It is pretty grimy and wanted to just do a good once over on it. I'm mostly concerned with the metal parts. They are looking pretty dull and just dirty. I didn't see anything after doing a search and was hoping someone had some good advice.
Thanks,
Rob
Old 08-04-2011, 11:37 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
I'm a huge fan of WD-40 for cleaning metal bits. For the really greasy and grimy stuff spray it on and let it sit for awhile. It's fairly mild for a cleaner and doesn't mess anything up. It will also leave a very slight film that kind of acts as a buffer and corrosion resistance... basically if it gets dirty again you can just wipe it off.

De-greaser like Simple-Green also works, but this should be washed off when you're done cleaning.

Don't spray directly into any of the linkage seams or anything.. you don't want de-greaser or WD-40 getting in any of the bearings or bushings.

My habits are to clean all the rough stuff up with WD-40 and a cotton rag or two, then get a bucket of water and car wash soap and clean all the body work/lights/etc. Followed by a good rinse and drying.

There's a product called back-to-black made by Mother's that works wonders on any rubber or non-painted plastic parts.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:49 AM
SuperBike

Old Yeller is on a distinguished road
Kerosene for all the chain and greasy parts. Good old soap and water for everything else.

If you take off all Honda badges, you could go to your local harley shop for all kinds of cleaning products. HD owners are professionals at it. LOL
Old 08-04-2011, 12:04 PM
Squid

What about for the parts like the frame and the footpeg brackets? Is there any way to polish those up a bit?
Old 08-04-2011, 12:08 PM
MotoGP

Cha-ching... I also use this stuff... Mag and Aluminum Polish (5 oz.) by Mothers - part# 05100

Keep in mind, polishing is really sanding away with microscopic grains, so don't use this on paint or plastic. But for all the aluminum stuff, gas cap, etc, it works great. Clean it off first, then polish.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:11 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

superdutyd is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ruajohnson
What about for the parts like the frame and the footpeg brackets? Is there any way to polish those up a bit?

I use Flitz polish for the aluminum bits. Works great. Also +1 for the WD-40 folllowed by soap and water.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:15 PM
Squid

hey superduty i got my ccts in the mail! thanks! they look great. i may have to buy a pair of the PAIR plates soon.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:17 PM
Squid

thanks for the advice everyone
Old 08-05-2011, 05:32 AM
Back Marker

Hawknut
Bike Brite's Motorcycle Spray Wash This stuff works well.Not a fan of simple green or any of those purple cleaners-----too harsh.they can stain raw aluminum and fade paint if left on too long.This stuff may be a bit pricey but IMO worth it.It also has corrosion inhibitors.Spray on hose off--not really.Get yourself a couple differant brushes(paint,tooth)for the crud.It is like a thin gel so it does cling and not dry up fast.Get a small tub of Mothers mag and aluminum polish for the raw aluminum bits after a good wash.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:04 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
I use this on all my metal:

And Mothers on my paint:

After a rain ride, S100 is a must:
Old 08-06-2012, 10:51 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
DONT pressure wash anywhere near electronics. It will lead to great unhappiness.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:11 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
DONT pressure wash anywhere near electronics. It will lead to great unhappiness.
Or bearings (wheel, head tube, suspension linkage, etc)...
Old 08-06-2012, 04:15 PM
Back Marker

NH-Raptor is on a distinguished road
Spectro Bike Wash. $14.95 for a 32oz spray bottle but it lasts for 8 to 10 washings. Spray on and rinse off. Does a decent job of cutting grease and softening up dead bug parts. If you get caught in the rain and just need to rinse off the road spooge it does a fantastic job!
Old 08-07-2012, 05:37 PM
SuperSport

twist is on a distinguished road
little tip for aluminum you want to spiff up, *rub n buff*. Comes in a little tube at any craft store. Clean parts with simple green and rinse, dry with cotton rag. Use a very tiny bit on your finger or clean rag and just spread it around and lightly buff. When I say a tiny bit, treat it like its pure gold, (silver in this case). Don't use the pewter, get the silver leaf. Does a great job on aluminum cases, transmission, frame, any part you want to spiff up. Try it first on an inconspicuous place to be sure. It really does a good job and lasts a lot longer than you'd think.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:05 AM
Back Marker

pchrist is on a distinguished road
Adam's All-Purpose Cleaner

I have used this and it works amazingly!!!!