General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

morning ride

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 05:31 PM
SuperSport

twist is on a distinguished road
morning ride

While I was out for a ride this morning along the coast road outside Stinson Beach, I came to a curve with a single skid mark that went over the side. Cliff side, and it's a long way down straight to the sea. Kinda tweaked my melon but I enjoyed the rest of my ride all the same. A panic brake, stomping on the rear rarely ends well, brakes are not your friend in that situation.

I did stop to look, no one there. I'm not that cavalier.

Last edited by twist; 04-11-2013 at 09:46 PM.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:45 PM
SuperSport

1971allchaos is on a distinguished road
I would have to agree, on the PANIC rear brake process... I would think there is at least a single skid mark -off every curve of the Tail of the Dragon..
Someone's sacrifice, is a good reminder..
Old 04-12-2013, 06:54 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Good argument for linked brakes. I was at an outdoor cafe one summer day and heard what sounded like a 20 sec skid.

Turned out to be a 300+lb guy on a hog. He panic braked just the rear which barely slowed him.

He was ok, only grazed the stopped car.

But yeah, twist, I always say "the wolf is always at the door". In life but especially on a bike.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:52 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
Good argument for linked brakes. I was at an outdoor cafe one summer day and heard what sounded like a 20 sec skid.

Turned out to be a 300+lb guy on a hog. He panic braked just the rear which barely slowed him.

He was ok, only grazed the stopped car.

But yeah, twist, I always say "the wolf is always at the door". In life but especially on a bike.
I learned the hard way myself, took 8 years to get back on.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:15 PM
SuperBike

HRCA#1 is on a distinguished road
Actually sometimes it's not so much the brakes as target fixation, since you go where you look the last step is to slam the brakes cause you have already f###ked up any chance of getting her turned.

I watched my wife do this many years ago and she was a trained rider but she fixed on the outside of the corner and at the last minute tried to stand it up and locked the rear wheel equal skidmark.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:32 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by HRCA#1
Actually sometimes it's not so much the brakes as target fixation, since you go where you look the last step is to slam the brakes cause you have already f###ked up any chance of getting her turned.

I watched my wife do this many years ago and she was a trained rider but she fixed on the outside of the corner and at the last minute tried to stand it up and locked the rear wheel equal skidmark.
it takes some convincing to go against instinct, to look through the curve, stay off the brakes, lean further and give it gas. I think riding a bike makes for a better driver behind the wheel, but it doesn't work the other way.