General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Discontinued parts for the VTR1000F

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 02:02 PM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
Discontinued parts for the VTR1000F

It used to be that Honda would supply parts for decades after a particular model went out of production. That no longer seems to be the case.

I was advised that, in Canada at least, oil cooler lines and the O rings that fit between the carburettors and the airbox have been discontinued.

Are there other parts for the VTR that are not available anymore from Honda?
Old 04-08-2013, 02:07 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
I think your source is just confused
The right oil cooler line
15650-MBB-680
PIPE, R. OIL HOSE

Has been superseded by a NEW part number

PIPE, R. OIL HOSE
Mfg. Part Number: 15650-MBB-000

And is still available/
http://www.ronayers.com/Search/N/687...-000/Source/HO

Left oil cooler line
PIPE, L. OIL HOSE - Search : 15660-MBB-000

O ring Air box to Carb
O-RING - Search : 16076-MBB-640
Old 04-08-2013, 02:14 PM
Back Marker

Caffeine is on a distinguished road
I had the same issue last year with a vent hose between the front valve cover and the breather box.. in the end they managed to find a rear vent hose for me and it fit the front fine.. but they told me it was a discontinued product… I’m in Canadatoo.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:16 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Caffeine
I had the same issue last year with a vent hose between the front valve cover and the breather box.. in the end they managed to find a rear vent hose for me and it fit the front fine.. but they told me it was a discontinued product… I’m in Canadatoo.
Must be a canada thing then.......
Old 04-08-2013, 02:26 PM
Superstock

blamecanada is on a distinguished road
you can just measure the old o-rings and lines and get that stuff way cheaper at a regular supply store anyway
Old 04-08-2013, 02:33 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by blamecanada
you can just measure the old o-rings and lines and get that stuff way cheaper at a regular supply store anyway
No sir..

the "O Ring" we are discussing is really a "preformed packing", not an actual round O ring as the part name implies. It is made from a round viton rubber material, but it's outer dimension is not that of a circle, but a very convoluted shape.. this "O Ring" sits in a recess on the face of the carb, sealing the air box to the carb body.

Look at part number 17
Ronayers.com Microfiche Honda>Motorcycle>1998>VTR1000F>CARBURETOR COMPONENT PARTS

And the oil lines have a specific non standard fitting on both ends.. not something you're going to find at any hose repair or supply shop.

Look at Item 3
http://www.ronayers.com/Fiche/TypeID...oup/OIL_COOLER

Last edited by E.Marquez; 04-08-2013 at 02:35 PM.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:29 PM
Well take off, eh.
SuperBike

Jack Flash is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by E.Marquez
Must be a canada thing then.......
Yeh, lots of things with this country that are wrong. Well, maybe not everything. Are beer is damn good. And the women in this province.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:20 PM
Deals Gap is a Hoot!
Back Marker

SIRR1 is on a distinguished road
One thing about Honda's is that they will use one part on 5 different bikes on the same model year plus and minus a year on the production run.

So a little investigation work will on finding the item your looking for, like the O-Rings are simple metric sized O-Rings and knowing the size or diameter of the ring helps on the parts search.

A year newer on a specific bikes production run usually has a better shock, forks and brakes that will sometimes bolt right on to a older bike, and this is where forums like this come in real handy...

Some parts are bike specific like body work, air boxes and seats and your right those parts will be harder to find OEM new from the dealer.

I can't remember the exact length of time I was told by the parts manager at my local Honda Shop but I am thinking it was 15 years American Honda keeps parts on hand before being sold at auction.

American Honda simply don't have the space to keep all of the parts on hand anymore!

If your looking for parts for a 1972 XL100 your going to need to go to one of the people who purchased those parts at auction and pay their price or there is always ebay.

There is a company in St. Louis that has thousands of Honda motorcycles and they go to auctions at bike shops going out of business and purchase their entire shop to sell in STL at inflated prices, I go there only when I have too...

Sorry for rambling.

SIRR1
Old 04-09-2013, 05:15 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by SIRR1
So a little investigation work will on finding the item your looking for, like the O-Rings are simple metric sized O-Rings and knowing the size or diameter of the ring helps on the parts search.
Good tip in general , but not always applicable.
Keep in mind the OEM's use "O ring" interchangeable for preformed packing.. .. a gasket made from a roundish (or triangle, square, rectangle, star shaped) viton rubber material... that is not an O ring and can not be purchased other then as the specific part required.... That is the type of "O-Ring" we have been talking about in THIS thread... really a pre formed one that can not be otherwise sourced.

But yes, if you're looking for the sealing oring for the oil lines... that can be had from many sources besides the OEM
Old 04-09-2013, 02:02 PM
Superstock

cybercarl is on a distinguished road
And the price for used parts seems to be increasing. Especially from the breakers. I not sure what you call them over there. Wreck yard, scrap yard or what. The places where they strip old bikes and sell the parts. LOL

(:-})
Old 04-13-2013, 06:22 AM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by comedo
It used to be that Honda would supply parts for decades after a particular model went out of production. That no longer seems to be the case.
Actually, they changed that philosophy about 15 years ago. It was right after "Old Man" Honda died. It seems that was something he insisted on, so it died with him. I've been dealing with the same issue with the early VF's for a couple of decades now.