General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Mismatched Tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 08:26 AM
Squid

Z-Unit is on a distinguished road
Mismatched Tires

Hello,

I bought a 98 SHawk last month, and in the midst of my jubilation, I didn't notice that there is a Dunlop 208 on the front and a Pirelli Diablo out back. The tread on both is excellent, but they are not the same brand, and I've heard mixed opinions on this topic. Should I replace one, or is it ok to ride as is? Is there a good on-line source for tire reviews so I can see which is better to keep?
Thanks,
-Z
Old 01-02-2007, 08:56 AM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
You'll get as many opinions on this as you will what oil to use. I personally don't like to mixmatch but if you don't feel any vibrations or ill affects I'd say ride them till they're spent. I was told by a rep at Avon it's really no big deal but I mixed 2 Avon tires and was getting some wobble in my front end, it may have been a bad front tire though. If you're going to replace one the 208's are discontinued so you can find good deals on those and depending on what kind of Diablo it is they can be pricey and burn quick but are good tires.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:57 AM
Superstock

Brian A is an unknown quantity at this point
Other opinions may differ, but I'd suggest some test rides to see what happens.
If all seems OK, I'd ride and not worry. Both are good tires and I'd guess you'd only encounter problems if you were riding at a very aggressive pace, so as to really push the limits of the tires.

Absent wobbles, especially under braking, I'd not worry about replacing.

When replacement time does come, what works best will depend largely on:
a) personal preference
b) riding style (aggressive sport -vs- more moderate sport/touring riding)

Plenty of info and opinions here, so poke around and see what you can find.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:00 AM
SuperSport

jschmidt
Generally, no problem. If you don't notice a problem, don't give it a second thought.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:37 AM
Back Marker
Back Marker

99Hawk
I've been running a Diablo on the front and D220 on the rear for a while - The combo has been no problem at all....
The next rear will likely be a D-Qualifier and on the front ...??
Old 01-02-2007, 11:38 AM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
I'm more inclined to agree with Superhawk22. Problems may develope at any time as the tires age. Buying a front to match the back is the cheap end of the stick so no biggy there. If it is, like the others suggest - be cool! My last set was 208's and I had a hard time putting the deal together because they were being phased out. The guys that liked the 208 have moved to Qualifiers and the news is good in terms of performance and wear. Again, referencing my friend above, ask ten people - get twelve opinions! I run Pirelli's on another hi-perf bike that I have and I love em.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:08 PM
Squid

RedHotFireStorm is on a distinguished road
OK guys,
Same mix-match issue, different tires;
I am currently running Metzeler Rennsport race tires on the street (I know I know, but they were free).
When the rear tire is worn out, will my spare rear Michelin Pilot race M2 tire match up with the Metzeler front in a similar fashion as now ? ie sidewall stiffness etc ?
(my current set-up runs just fine-daily commuting to work and some spirited driving but nothing wild)
Old 01-02-2007, 12:30 PM
MotoGP

Race tires have a higher temp. rating and take longer to heat than street tires, I would be a little weary of that not to mention the different compounds. What is the Metz (S2)? All I can say is try it out and see how the bike reacts.
Old 01-02-2007, 04:22 PM
Squid

RedHotFireStorm is on a distinguished road
My front Metz is an RS1. Can't find the rear rating.
Thanks for the warm-up time reminder.
Once my second rear race compound is toast I will go back to street tires for sure. The Diablo's sound hype.
(Bearing in mind that I had only 4 months experience with this new-for-me bike on BT014's, I thought the BT014's were fantastic). Cooler fall temps rolled in by the time I installed the race tires...cooler temps = more conservative riding.
Old 01-02-2007, 04:25 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Those Michelin race tires have pressure recommendations that are WAY below what one would normally run on the street. IMO, Pirelli Supercorsas are the ony DOT race tire that are good for the street. They don't take long to heat up, have good wear characteristics, stick like glue, but really suck in the rain. FWIW, these tires are OEM on the Triumph 675.
Old 01-02-2007, 04:30 PM
Superstock

sprhawk neil is an unknown quantity at this point
I have had a pilot power race on the front for two years they were a set at one time the rear race went out after 3000 miles I now have a metzler m1 sportech rear.long story short I feel completely safe with mis matched tires. I only street ride and I go through two rear tires for every one front. if it feels safe ride it!!!!!!
Old 01-02-2007, 08:01 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jschmidt
Generally, no problem. If you don't notice a problem, don't give it a second thought.
Ditto.

Currently running a power front/diablo corsa rear.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:27 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Hawkrider
Those Michelin race tires have pressure recommendations that are WAY below what one would normally run on the street. IMO, Pirelli Supercorsas are the ony DOT race tire that are good for the street. They don't take long to heat up, have good wear characteristics, stick like glue, but really suck in the rain. FWIW, these tires are OEM on the Triumph 675.
Good catch Greg, I forgot to mention that. I think I was told to run at mid to high 20's warm.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:50 AM
SuperSport

jschmidt
Not to mention that race tires on the street are a formula for diminished traction.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:37 PM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
I've had a perelli dragon corse front and a 207 in the back for 2 seasons and the perelli was a race takoff. it had some wear on the sides but not much. never had a single problem. other than the fact that the back wheel would just spin if I tried to pop a wheelie in cooler weather. but the front was always rock solid. having said that, my wife got me a set of pilot power 2CT's for christmas. these women are rare, but they are still out there fellas.