Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 06:39 AM
Engorged Member
Squid

FatHawk is on a distinguished road
Tires?

So,

Because I commute to work 75 miles one way every day (mostly slab), and because the bike has gobs of torque, and because I am fat, and because I am a squid;

My rear tire is shot. Completely squared off and about to show wear bars in the middle. Not the stocker but when I bought the bike I insisted on new rubber and the dealer replaced OEM.

Whats the prob? tires only have like 3,100 miles on them. So in looking at other tires I was considering the Pilot Road and the Road Attack.

Question #1: Has anyone ever run the Michelin and the Continental that can comment and compare the two?

Question #2: Why in the hell did that last tire disappear so fast? Is that normal? Anyone else lose a tire that fast? Even knowing what I know from above, 3100 miles seems kinda ridiculous.

Fuggin' tire eatin gremlins
Old 04-02-2007, 06:56 AM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
do a search on here for tire threads, there are some good comps...Not sure what tire would work well in your situation...Someone on here will have an opinion though...

Good luck
Old 04-02-2007, 07:18 AM
Superstock

johnnyhonda is on a distinguished road
I run bridgestone BT-10's. They are a duel compound tire. They're harder in the center for inner city driving, and softer on the sides for the twisties. I've put about 5000 mile on this tire, and a couple of nice burnouts and she still has plenty of tire left.

My sister put 9000 on hers before she had to change it.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:22 AM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by johnnyhonda
I run bridgestone BT-10's. They are a duel compound tire. They're harder in the center for inner city driving, and softer on the sides for the twisties. I've put about 5000 mile on this tire, and a couple of nice burnouts and she still has plenty of tire left.

My sister put 9000 on hers before she had to change it.
Dang boy, thems a lots of miles....

Wonder how the new PP C2 will fare??

I had the BT-14's on before the PP's I like the PP so much better....don't know about miles though, only had them for about 750 now...
Old 04-02-2007, 10:34 AM
SuperBike

drew_c14 is on a distinguished road
I had a pair of Dunlop 208's that only lasted 2500 miles. I actaully rode them until the cords were sticking out. I never do burnout's or anything crazy. I was teaching the MSF advanced class for a while and demonstrated rear tire lock up's, so maybe that was it. Now if I teach I do it on a student bike!

I ride the road attacks now, LOVE THEM! I've only got to put around 1000 hard miles on 'em but they're still good. Even after a year of no riding they held up, no dry rot at all.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:53 AM
Squid

YellowHawk is on a distinguished road
Hey FatHawk, welcome...
I like to run Avon Azarro's on mine. I got 12k out of the last set. They are duel compound and pretty good performers, I think. I commute alot, mostly highway with not too many trick stuff. Also, make sure you check tire pressure regularly (weekly). That makes a huge difference...
Old 04-02-2007, 12:03 PM
Superstock

Sgt Rock is an unknown quantity at this point
I've been using the Pirelli Diablo's and get 2000-2500 out of the rear. I didn't know the Avon's had such a long life. I may look into them next.
Old 04-02-2007, 02:19 PM
Squid

njrider is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by YellowHawk
Hey FatHawk, welcome...
I like to run Avon Azarro's on mine. I got 12k out of the last set. They are duel compound and pretty good performers, I think. I commute alot, mostly highway with not too many trick stuff. Also, make sure you check tire pressure regularly (weekly). That makes a huge difference...
The Azaro's get my vote too. Wear well, did a track day on them and found them to be very predictable.
Old 04-02-2007, 03:48 PM
SuperSport
SuperSport

gboezio is on a distinguished road
I'm more a rider and street fighter, I only got BT-20 front and rear and put 10000 miles on the rear tire, had to change it because my girlfriend would not ride with me, I went trough the first set of wires, it was sparking on the dark nights, witch made my buddies laugh, was still hooking spotless. My buddy(Buell lightning) rode it until it blew and had to come back 10 miles on a flat tire. Was fun as hell, but they damaged his rim because the tire was too thin, they finally had to cut it in the middle and take off both ends separately. I did not need the side stand anymore lol, the tire was dead flat. But I recommend these to everyone who don't race, good mileage.
Old 04-02-2007, 05:11 PM
Back Marker

timdske is on a distinguished road
I'm using the Metzeler roadtec z6, I like the tires. Their made more for
sport touring but, they are Z-rated. You can get good life out of them.
Especially if you are doing a lot of long distance traveling.