General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Michelin or Dunlop

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 06:39 AM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
Michelin or Dunlop

Currently running PP2ct. The rear is done. Thinking I want to try a different brand. If for no other reason to broaden my experience.
So should I go with PP3, Q3. Or put a ST (Roadsmart II or PR3) on the rear with the gripper same brand front? I realize that any of these tires are more capable than my skill level. No track days for this round of tires.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:42 AM
SuperSport

thetophatflash is an unknown quantity at this point
I'd do the Q3's. I've run Q2's for a few years and would be curious as to how the new model works in comparison.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:43 AM
Back Marker

Tebs is on a distinguished road
I too like the Q2's and am trying to burn my new ones off so I can get the Q3.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:18 AM
Superstock

KCCO is on a distinguished road
I have the PR3 and like them, they are no race tiers my any means but their traction while wet or light gravel etc is great! If I was to do it again I would have bought a softer tire just because I only have four months left before I have to garage the bike for about two years for basics and the pipeline... But if that wasn't the case and you are using it for commuting, the PR3 is a great tire. It well outdoes my riding level and I have not felt any uncertainty on the tire.
Old 07-07-2013, 01:07 PM
SuperSport

matt365 is on a distinguished road
I ran a set of Q2s last season (well, part of last season, as they only lasted about 5,000 miles.)

Went to a set of Roadsmart IIs and I love them. Great street tire, tons of grip since they are dual compound. About 5,000 miles in on them so far, and they barely look worn.

Sport tires are a waste on the streets. I've got a second set of rims with another set of Q2s if I want to do a couple trackdays with the hawk.
Old 07-07-2013, 02:08 PM
SuperSport
SuperSport

supermarto is on a distinguished road
Q2's were my last set. Went bald fast on my 60 mile commute. Spooned on PR3's and immediately felt the difference. For me personally, felt like Michellins were constructed for the Hawk. Haven't gotten a lot of miles on them yet so I can't attest to their longevity but I agree about their wet handling being great.
Old 07-07-2013, 04:07 PM
Old and dangerous
SuperSport
SuperSport

rz_racer_69 is on a distinguished road
I like my PP3's. Felt great on the track, feel great on the road. I like the fact that they offer excellent grip leaned over, and longer life due to their multi compound construction like the PP2ct's. they may be overkill on the street, but I'd rather have the extra traction and not need it, than the other way around. I like the Dunlops too, having a set of Q2's last about as long as a set of PP2's (not ct). The Dunlops have a noticeably stiffer carcass. The Michelins are softer and more flexible, making them easier to get seated on the rims if you change your own tires. I wouldn't turn down a free set of either.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:11 PM
Back Marker

Appletonhawk is on a distinguished road
Try some Perelli!! They will be my next tires!
Old 07-07-2013, 09:18 PM
SuperSport
SuperSport

supermarto is on a distinguished road
The Q2's felt like I got less feedback, but they were also the first set of tires I got to break traction on both front and rear to drift both wheels leaned over...
Old 07-13-2013, 06:38 AM
SuperBike

Thanks for all the advice.
I was going to beat this thread with more questions, but decided that the best plan will be to just pick a tire and report back on my impressions.
Time to go ride.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:32 AM
Superstock

KCCO is on a distinguished road
And the decision is?
Old 07-13-2013, 08:41 AM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

CrankenFine is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Appletonhawk
Try some Perelli!! They will be my next tires!

For performance I have to agree, I've used Angels and Diablos.

But whatever I get next will be different and last longer. The compound is so soft I always get a flat area on the rear after only a thousand miles and I can't get more than 4000 out of set so far due to that problem.

But this is not what the OP asked.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:52 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by KCCO
And the decision is?
I'm going to cheap out (save money to get the rear shock replaced) on this round and go with the same PP2ct rear. Run it till the front is done and then replace both with, well I don't know, I change my mind daily, either Roadsmart II or PR3. Maybe by that time Dunlop will have produced a Roadsmart III.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:35 AM
SuperBike

Bike has been down for a while. I pulled the rear wheel so I wouldn't ride it. The tire was showing cords and it was the only way (for me) to stay safe. Was going to have new Dunlop Q3's mounted but when I called the only MC shop in the area (70 mi round trip) they weren't in stock. Saturday was the only day I could do it, which meant another week before a new tire could me mounted. Well DYI, OCD and the need to feel like I made an end run around the cost of having someone else do something I can do myself kicked in. So I dismounted the tire with the lumber and zip tie method. Worked quite well. Ordered a new Michelin PP3 from Revzilla and a balancer from Honda Motorcycle Wheel Balancer
I was concerned about using windex for the lube so I bought a life time supply of Ruglide from NAPA NAPA AUTO PARTS
The local store had one on the shelve, go figure.
Was a little worried about the mounting as the PP3 is quite a bit stiffer that the PP2CT that came off. As it turned out it went on with almost no effort at all. The lube really made it easy.
So on to the balancer. Wheel only the heavy spot was not at the valve stem (put a K&L angle stem on). Michelin tires don't seem to have a mark for the light point so not really knowing I use the bar code that is on the bead. With the tire it took less than a once to get a perfect balance.
More to come.

Attached Thumbnails Michelin or Dunlop-dsc05413.jpg   Michelin or Dunlop-dsc05414.jpg