General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Meaning of warning light

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 05:12 PM
Squid

oldguy50 is on a distinguished road
Meaning of warning light

Hi all, just brought home a '98 vtr1000 that I swapped for my turbo Civic. I didn't get any manuals with it, downloaded the service manual but I can't find out what the red "S" light on the cluster indicates. Also, the low fuel indicator is on and it's full. Other than that it's in really nice shape. My wife is thrilled.
If anyone can tell me what that lamp is indicating I'd appreciate it.
Old 11-16-2013, 05:40 PM
Superstock

insulinboy is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by oldguy50
Hi all, just brought home a '98 vtr1000 that I swapped for my turbo Civic. I didn't get any manuals with it, downloaded the service manual but I can't find out what the red "S" light on the cluster indicates. Also, the low fuel indicator is on and it's full. Other than that it's in really nice shape. My wife is thrilled.
If anyone can tell me what that lamp is indicating I'd appreciate it.
The only red light on the instrument cluster should be the oil light. There is a yellow S light though that lets you know the kickstand (S for sidestand) is down

Check the connector that should be between the front of the seat and the gas tank, thats your fuel level sender for the warning light. Make sure its plugged in and wiggling it doesn't change the light indicating the connector is shorted
Old 11-16-2013, 07:37 PM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
If your sidestand light is on you need to check the switch at the sidestand. It is a pretty common fault.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:16 PM
Squid

bird-rider is on a distinguished road
I agree the S indicator means that the side stand is still activated. Try to check the trigger switch, you can try to clean it out using a contact cleaner spray. About the low fuel indicator, check the connector worst would be a basted fuel level sensor.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:04 PM
Deals Gap is a Hoot!
Back Marker

SIRR1 is on a distinguished road
It's possible the previous owner had the counter shaft sprocket cover and the hydraulic clutch mechanism off the motor and pinched both the oil pressure switch wire and the kick stand wire when he reassembled or put the covers back on the engine.

The side stand switch may just need to be turned 180 degrees.

With the side stand switch off the bike and the VTR's key in the on position simply rotate the side stand switch until the light goes off them reassemble the switch.

Or you may need a quart of oil in the engine, This is where I would start by checking the engines oil level.

SIRR1