General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Lowering from rear stand?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 02:42 PM
Squid

dannyz is on a distinguished road
Question Lowering from rear stand?

This is possibly a stupid question, but here it is: is there a trick/technique to lower your bike from the rear stand? Without dropping it on the side, of course

I've never had a bike without a centerstand til my VTR, so am a bit lost. Got myself one of those sport rear stands this morning (model with swingarm pads) and cleaned and lubed my chain. I saw it coming, since it took me a while to figure out how to put it ON the stand. I used one 2x4 underneath the sidestand. But when time came to lower it, I was lost Tried several times changing position of the pads, holding differently, etc but every time it felt like the bike would fall to the right.
I am now waiting for my son to help me when he comes from work, but I would like to be able to do this alone.
My mechanic told me that when he gets a bike without spools, he sometimes just puts two big screwdrivers through the axle instead of spools. Would this make it any easier? My stand came with attachments for spools.

BTW, this was the first time since I have my VTR that I wish it had a centerstand. Anyone fabricated one? I think I saw a centerstand on a Varadero somewhere. That should be pretty close to VTR, no?

TIA

Last edited by dannyz; 08-11-2009 at 02:47 PM.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:51 PM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

joshuatest is an unknown quantity at this point
I usually put the kickstand down, hold onto either the rear seat strap or the front side of the rear seat cowl and let it down to the point the tire hits the ground, but keeping the swingarm contact untill i know its going to lean to the kickstand side...

thats about it
Old 08-11-2009, 03:15 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Here is one guy's method:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgDxW...eature=related

Though I usually stay behind the bike rather than to the side.. I can balance it just as easily from there as anywhere.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:17 PM
Back Marker

HawkFanatic is on a distinguished road
Yeah, it seems complicated and difficult but it is really not. I just get on my knees to the left rear of the bike, put my left hand and lower forarm over the seat, pull up on the handle and gently pull the bike towards me and place gently on the side stand
Old 08-11-2009, 03:26 PM
SuperBike

drew_c14 is on a distinguished road
Not a stupid question at all. I've done it a thousand times and still pucker a little bit every time. I just make sure the kickstand is down, front wheel is turned to the left and steady it with the back end.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:44 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
I had the same misgivings when Erik presented me with a rear stand he fab'd up in the garage. It took a little experimenting with son close by, then alone, after a few lifts and descents it's a piece of cake. I would get to the sticking point going up and didn't have enough *** on it to bring it through. Then coming down I didn't trust that it would find the sidestand. Worked perfectly every time.

It's always special when a friend brings you a tool that you work with all the time. It's just a purdy as a Pit Bull too. He painted it in a light gray wrinkle coat, has great casters (might even be pit bull replacement parts), and used an old knobby for the swingarm pads.

I've been told that keeping your bike off its tires helps them wear better. I'm not sure about this but would seem practical for long term inactivity.

I just appreciate it for the regular maintenace.

Last edited by nuhawk; 08-11-2009 at 04:38 PM.
Old 08-11-2009, 04:28 PM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
I always thought it was for 3 reasons. the forks would have perfectly even weight distribution when up on stands, (rather than leaning to one side) the tires can get flat spots if they aren't properly inflated, and sit too long, and concrete tends to promote tire rot when in constant contact for long periods of time.
Old 08-11-2009, 04:35 PM
geezer
SuperSport
SuperSport

oahu hawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by lazn
love the bare feet...

I stand on the left, kickstand down, grab the bike by the seat to get it leaning left and pull it gently backwards as I'm lowering it to insure that the kickstand remains extended when it touches the ground...
Old 08-11-2009, 04:47 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by swordfish
I always thought it was for 3 reasons. the forks would have perfectly even weight distribution when up on stands, (rather than leaning to one side) the tires can get flat spots if they aren't properly inflated, and sit too long, and concrete tends to promote tire rot when in constant contact for long periods of time.
I think this makes all the sense in the world. I find that the more fine tuned my Superhawk becomes how great a difference the little things make. Of course it's not just the flat spot on the tire, it's the naturally corrosive chemicals in the concrete, and the imperfect affect of unequal pressure on the front shocks. Well done!
Old 08-11-2009, 06:56 PM
Squid

dannyz is on a distinguished road
hijacking my own thread...

oahu hawk,

"2010 Ducati Streefighter"

Any pics?
Old 08-14-2009, 07:19 PM
geezer
SuperSport
SuperSport

oahu hawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by dannyz
oahu hawk,

"2010 Ducati Streefighter"

Any pics?
check this thread...

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=19817

btw, the Streetfighter has been in the shop for the last week with an intermittent electrical problem...so I'm sitting here without a ride...never buy a first year model of a car or motorcycle...I guess you could put airplanes would in that category also...