General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Lost gauges/running lights?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 10:25 PM
Squid

racer187x is on a distinguished road
Lost gauges/running lights?

I installed my new forks from JD Motorsports (thanks Jamie!) this evening before work. Install went smooth, no big deal and put some new brake pads in while I was at it. Took it on a short test ride around the block and all is well. Parked it and got ready for work. When I came back out it was dark and when turning the key only my headlights came on, no running lights (no front turn signals, rear brake) and I had no gauges (no backlight, no movement of the needles and no odometer). Also the little running light above the headlight is off. Luckily the bike was running fine and the headlight worked as well as the turn signals so I went to work. Since I was running late I only grabbed enough tools to pull the front fairing off again.

Do you guys think that it is a connection issue or a blown fuse (or 2)? When taking off the front fairing I think its only the headlight/running light connectors and the turn signal connectors that need to be disconnected and then reattched so I'm not sure what happened.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:38 PM
Squid

ProfChaos is on a distinguished road
I would check/re-seat all the connections in the wiring harness boots (behind the instrument cluster), re-secure the turn signal ball-and-socket connectors, and then see what happens.

The front running light connector was probably not securely re-connected when you re-mounted the front fairing, since the front running light has a separate sailor-proof connector that mounts right into the back of the running light's lamp assembly.

I hope that this helps.

cheers,
--Professor Chaos

Last edited by ProfChaos; 08-15-2011 at 10:42 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:11 PM
907 Noble
Back Marker

AK Ronin is on a distinguished road
Agreed.
The first time I pulled my fairing off and put it back, I didn't seat ANY of the connections right, and after two miles, none of my front lights were working.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:27 PM
Squid

Thanks for the help guys. Got to work and checked the fuses. I had one burnt out, replaced with the spare and everything is up again. It has had the R/R replaced by the previous owner but should I be concerned about it going out on me?
Old 08-17-2011, 07:27 AM
Squid

Guys, this happened again on my way home this morning from work, less than 100 miles since the first time. The second fuse from the left/bottom is the one blowing. Is this an R/R thing? Is this an indication of the R/R going out? I felt the R/R and it seemed pretty warm, of course the bike had been running for about 20 miles by that point. Would more ventilation help? Its kinda crammed between the right side of the subframe and the plastic.

Last edited by racer187x; 08-17-2011 at 08:17 AM.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:15 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
It's not an R/R thing... The failure of an R/R is a symptom of other problems, not the root of the problem itself... The R/R is the OEM item will be hot enought to burn your fingers, it's normal... It's not good, but it's normal...

Your problem is most likely a frayed insulation somewhere rubbing and shorting... Go find it...
Old 08-17-2011, 01:32 PM
Squid

Found some wiring got pinched between the fairing and the radiator. Thanks for the input!