General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

looking to buy shawk

Old 08-24-2006, 08:37 PM
Squid

tslave is on a distinguished road
looking to buy shawk

hey guys I'm new here and I've been looking for a bike. I've found a shawk for sale around here and I'm going to be going to look at it. just wondering if you guys would have any good ideas on what to look for. maybe things that could be wrong or things to look out for. I've been looking at the forum for a few days now and I've noticed the things that are already on here but didn't know if you guys could think of anything else.

Thanks ahead of time. I appreciate it.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:59 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
Ask if the RR and CCTs have needed to be replaced. That's the only glaring issue with these bikes.

Obviously, check for structural/frame damage, leaky forks, body damage, dinged wheels, etc.
Old 08-25-2006, 03:06 PM
Squid

cool thanks man. I had already read about the R/R and the CCT. I was just wondering if there was anything else. sounds like there isn't though. That's one reason I was looking at a shawk. I had heard they were fairly reliable. plus not everybody on the planet has one.

Thanks again.
Old 08-25-2006, 03:15 PM
Squid

jonnykuhns is on a distinguished road
Might consider trying to find out if the front wheel has been in the air alot as well... if it's been up and brought down hard quite a bit it can take it's toll on the front end.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:12 PM
Squid

yea I hear ya there. actually the guy who has it is an insurance agent. he has several bikes and older cars that he restores and then turns around and sells. I was worried he was doing the same with the bike but turns out he bought it new and he's been the only owner and rider. every car the guy owns is in great shape so I know that he takes care of his rides.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:24 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

Originally Posted by tslave
yea I hear ya there. actually the guy who has it is an insurance agent. he has several bikes and older cars that he restores and then turns around and sells. I was worried he was doing the same with the bike but turns out he bought it new and he's been the only owner and rider. every car the guy owns is in great shape so I know that he takes care of his rides.
That is a really good sign.
Old 08-26-2006, 03:56 AM
Superstock

BirdofParadise is an unknown quantity at this point
Along with the previous suggestions look for cracks in or flaking of paint near mounting points or around a weld. On something like the subframe you may even see rust or touch up paint where the foot peg hanger mount. This could indicate anything from a tip over too worse.
Look close at the area where the headset tube is welded to the frame.
I've seen a few SHawks with hairline cracks in the welds there.

When sitting on the bike, pay close attention to the alignment of the mirrors windscreen, and gauges to the rest of the bike. The upper fairing stay bends easy when the bike falls over.

Good luck!
Old 08-26-2006, 09:32 AM
Squid

thanks man. I wouldn't have thought of stuff like that. I've always been into muscle cars and just within the last year got into bikes. I've got a buddy who has a couple of bikes, both cbr's, and we go out riding all of the time. I've always been into cars that nobody else has and you don't see everyday (I own a '69 AMX, a '70 Rebel Machine, and a '00 Dodge Dakota R/T) so why not carry it over into a bike.

I actually didn't even know this guy had a bike for sale but was showing him my Rebel and we got to talking. When he told me he had it I didn't even know what one looked like. Heard of them, but never seen one. anyway I figure I can't go wrong with a Honda and they look pretty damn cool.

The guy comes back from vacation today and I'll go look at it in person on Monday (I've only seen pictures so far) and i guess let the barganing begin.

Thanks again guys. It's kind of nice to see a forum where people actually know stuff and are cool about it instead of not knowing %$*& and being #$%^&*@$ about it.
Old 09-05-2006, 01:07 PM
Squid

hey guys another quick question,

I had one of my buddies who is into street bikes and has been working on them for years (although doesn't know much about the superhawk's) come with me to check out the bike and he reaffirmed my opinion that this is a really nice bike.

it's a '00 yellow, D &D pipes and the k&n filter on it, other that that stock. never had an issue with it and it has 3643 miles on it. the guy was upset the first time I went to look at it b/c I kind of showed up unexpectadly and he didn't get the clean the three bug splatters off of the front of it. I mean, this guy takes care of his bikes and cars.

So anyway, just wondering what you guys would think it's worth. I know location will change the value but just an over all guess would help. I've already got an r/r and a cct on order b/c I am going to buy it this next week when he gets back in town but just curious what you guys think.
Old 09-05-2006, 02:07 PM
Back Marker

Nanotech is on a distinguished road
I'd say close to 5000, but I've seen them go for mid to low 4K also albeit with slightly more miles.
Old 09-05-2006, 04:01 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

For a bike in such good shape, spending about $4500 is not a bad thing. Brand new ones (05 leftovers) can be had for only $5999, though, so I wouldn't pay any more than $4500.

With pipes and a filter, you may want to change the jetting (if you get the bike).
Old 09-05-2006, 06:31 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by tslave
(I own a '69 AMX, a '70 Rebel Machine)
I've always loved those cars, I have a '69 Cougar myself, welcome aboard if you buy. $4500 to $4900 sounds fair for such low miles.