General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Looking at 98

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 08:41 AM
Squid

dugwms is on a distinguished road
Looking at 98

I am going to look at a 98 Monday with 20k miles. From the pictures, it looks to be in very good shape. The price is $2500 but are there specific issues I should be looking for? The only modifications done to the bike have been replacing the clip ons with a "helibar". The owner said the bars made riding much easier on his back. I've had a couple of sport bikes and several dirt bikes and am used to riding but unfamiliar with the Super Hawk. Thanks in advance!
Old 06-22-2013, 11:30 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Post some pics to help us judge value. A 20k Hawk with no signs of damage is well worth asking price. Basic motorcycle stuff can influence its value. Tires, brakes, battery, yadda yadda.
Old 06-22-2013, 12:31 PM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
Clean, unmolested Super Hawks are getting hard to find. The price is reasonable as well. If you could get the price down to around 2200. it would be a very sweet deal. If your serious about owning one of the best street bikes Honda ever made, don't let this one get away.
Old 06-22-2013, 06:05 PM
Squid

These are the only pictures I have...
Attached Thumbnails Looking at 98-superhawk1.jpg   Looking at 98-superhawk2.jpg  
Old 06-22-2013, 06:20 PM
Back Marker

brothermike is on a distinguished road
Looks pretty good to me, clean and unmolested. These bikes are an enormous amount of fun and I have no regrets buying a 98 with 25k for 2500 (which is dealer retail price in my area) I would do it again.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:56 PM
MotoGP

unmolested?????

dug, I'm seeing a hack job on the fairing! Those are far from Heli's! The bike has risers installed onto the top yoke. To do this, holes were drilled to mount them, then a set of handlebars were put on. Significant rise! So much so that you need to cut the fairing to clear the bars. Looks like the windscreen may not have escaped the saw as well. Look close before you give up cash.
Here are a few close-ups of similar set-ups:

Here's a set of Helibars:

Name:  HELIBARS001.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  61.1 KB
Old 06-22-2013, 09:31 PM
Squid

Crap... I see what you mean. I googled some other images and the fairing and windscreen have been hacked up but good. Oh well, I'll keep looking. Thanks for spotting that!
Old 06-22-2013, 09:52 PM
über-n00b
Superstock

Spoot is on a distinguished road
I would just offer less $.
The bike will still ride OK...?
my $.02
Old 06-23-2013, 10:51 AM
Squid

I thought about still getting it but the ad said "excellent condition, all original". When I talked to the owner over the phone, he didn't say anything about having hacked the fairing and windscreen up. It makes me question what else is not being disclosed. I think I'll pass this one by and keep looking. There are a couple others close enough to consider. Thanks to all who commented for helping me out, especially Wolverine.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:47 PM
SuperSport

1971allchaos is on a distinguished road
Sweeettt... Not real bad.. Yet as Wolfie -pointed out..Fairings cut for HELI-bars -which is odd.... bought a 2001 with Heli-s for $2k. with 3500 miles.
The mileage is good.. Yet ...
I would take $1800.00 "CASH" for market value... and NEGO to $2k..
Put that extra cash to mods.... I have SIX S-Hawks for Less than $500.,. so - BE SELFISH....
Old 06-24-2013, 06:50 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by dugwms
I thought about still getting it but the ad said "excellent condition, all original". When I talked to the owner over the phone, he didn't say anything about having hacked the fairing and windscreen up. It makes me question what else is not being disclosed. I think I'll pass this one by and keep looking. There are a couple others close enough to consider. Thanks to all who commented for helping me out, especially Wolverine.
That's never a bad plan, but don't cut off your nose to spite your face.

Use it to your advantage, cosmetic stuff like that done in someone garage does not always equal other more difficult to spot home mechanic hackery.

And if you can bring him down the cost of replacement fairings and windscreen and Helibars so you can have the "excellent condition, all original" bike you thought it was supposed to be....who knows.... Likely he thinks the set up is beyond greatness and will not understand the price cut request,, but ya never know.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:55 PM
Squid

Well... I went and looked at a 2000 that was much closer to home. Let's just say that the sellers opinion of "pristine" and mine are two different things. Then he told me he bought the bike to drag race. Thanks but no thanks.
So... the guy with the hacked up fairing is going to send me some pics. We'll see. I really want a Superhawk. Hopefully it's ok.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:03 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by dugwms
Hopefully it's ok.
dug, ride it if you can. You might really like the position! Check out the normal maint. items like tires, brake/clutch fluids, chain/sprockets etc. If those things need attention, use that as another negotiation tool. Check behind the rads for signs of fin damage which will point to a tip over, are the cct's OE? All items that can help you lower the price!
Old 06-30-2013, 04:18 PM
Squid

Well, I'm going to look at a 2000 tomorrow with 18000 miles. Will also be looking at a VFR800. The owner of the Superhawk has no idea when valves or anything else were checked. How much of a concern should that be?
Old 06-30-2013, 04:24 PM
MotoGP

I've got 26xxx on mine and haven't checked valves... Viffers are nice bikes too although a little heavier than the Hawk.

My last group ride:
Name:  P260513_1302.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  146.1 KB
Old 07-01-2013, 04:45 PM
Squid

I didn't get to ride the 2000 because it was pouring but... it has 18,641 miles, it's not a p.o.s., it's not immaculate it's just a 13 year old bike. Scuffs, scratches that kind of thing. The fairing is cracked on the right side with some rash. Supposedly just fell over. Doesn't look scrapped so I don't think there was much forward motion when it went down. Engine sounded good. No scary clicking or clacking. Valve train noise was almost nonexistent. Has D & D pipes. Oil was clean, which is something I guess. It sure is a pretty yellow. Anyway, the guys is firm at $2800. Didn't get to take any pix. I'm studying on it...
Old 07-02-2013, 03:08 PM
Superstock
Superstock

wyldryce is on a distinguished road
Quite honestly, I would consider the one with the modded fairing over one that has cracks and tip over rash. One mod is intentional and the other isn't, and to be put back to stock both are gonna require $$

For what it's worth, I am one of those guys who trimmed the fairing ears a little thinner (more in line with the pics that Wolverine posted) so that I could mount a superbike bar (pioneered by SuperBling on this forum back around 2006). My bike had helibars on it when I initially purchased it. I haven't regretted it for a minute....I LOVE the way it rides much better with a bar, and have had it this way for the last 15k mi. I'm sure some would have called me insane to mod clean stock fairings, but for me, I wanted to ride it in comfort and make the ergos work better for me. It was worth the trade off...I'm not keeping the bike bone stock for its collectibility...sadly these bikes don't hold value well.

One other note, valves on these bike don't typically get noisy, they get quiet as they get tighter. I adjusted mine this last year at 49k or so and only one or two had gotten tight enough to warrant changing shims...these engines are pretty stable. The cam chain tensioners are a much bigger liability IMO.
Good luck finding the right Superhawk for you!
-R