Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

Looking for tank protector

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 04:38 AM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road
Looking for tank protector

I think I will have to fit one to protect my nice pearl paint. There is not much choice over here in Australia, anyone have any protectors they like that they would reccommend?

Cheers,
Shayne
Old 04-21-2007, 11:27 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
www.thetankslapper.com

Clear 3M film that does a great job at protecting the paint. From 2 feet away you can't even tell it's there. I have had them on 3 of my bikes. Highly recommended.

There's two types. One is thicker and reusable. It will come off with some coaxing, washed, and reapplied. The second is thinner and conforms to curves better. It is not reusable. It's also a little more transparent. I like the thinner stuff. I had some of the thicker pieces start to come off on my old RC51 and it got annoying so they sent me the thinner ones.

Oh, and it's like $20US plus $7 for international shipping. You will have to email/call and ask for the thinner material. They nomally send the thicker.
Old 04-24-2007, 03:40 AM
SuperSport

Thanks Greg, we can get something similar over here too. A shame the thin stuff is not removable for polishing etc.

Does anyone have a fixed type tank protector they like?
Old 04-24-2007, 08:09 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
The thinner material is shiny like the paint and you can polish/wax it too. As for prior to application, make sure your paint is super clean and waxed and it should never be a problem. It doesn't move and the paint is not subjected to dirt or water so it protects it well. Take your time with application as this is the key to success with the product.
Old 04-24-2007, 03:09 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
I have a Mag-Knight on the VFR that I like because it's so easy to take off and slap back on. Not available in clear tho The black has a nice sheen to the surface but I don't think it works with your color scheme. As a matter of fact I don't think any of them are very appealing from a looks standpoint. Proper clothing can go a long way in preserving the tank.
Old 04-24-2007, 04:21 PM
Superstock

Duck007 is on a distinguished road
+1 on the Mag-Knight protector. I have the carbon-look one. Not bad when I first got the bike, but now that I've added real carbon fiber fender and hugger, it looks a little cheesy. Great protection though. No compliants.

I'm eyeing the carbon fiber tank protector from Geelong Carboncraft down under....looks nice.
Old 04-25-2007, 12:45 AM
SuperSport

One of my riding buddies has a Geelong Carbon protector on her bike, and it is scratched quite a lot after only a few months. Doesn't look so good now.

That Mag-Knight unit looks really good!!!!

Does it ever move on the tank?
Old 04-25-2007, 11:38 AM
Superstock

Duck007 is on a distinguished road
No, it doesn't slip at all. In fact I think there's so much surface area to it that it would be hard to slide if you were trying to. I lift it up a couple times to get it back fitting right after I wax the tank. I wipe it with some armour-all once in a while and it still looks new (haven't seen a track day so not concerned with tank grip, or lack thereof).
Old 05-03-2007, 02:53 AM
SuperSport

Thanks guys. Looks good so I have ordered the do it yourself carbon sheet.