General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Lonely VTR

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 01:01 PM
idiot
Squid

poorider is on a distinguished road
Lonely VTR

Is the Superhawk the only VTR honda have released in the US? As opposed to the SP1/2 I mean. http://www.honda.co.uk/motorcycles/D....jsp#focusHere
Old 03-14-2008, 01:18 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
Nope. We had a VTR250 too.
Old 03-14-2008, 02:20 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Technically, the 250 is the same in name only. 80's technology and was basically 1/2 of a V4 500 interceptor motor cut down the middle.

Most of the world also got the varadero which is the vtr motor detuned with EFI and stuffed in an adventure bike chassis.

The 650 hawkGT from the late 80's/early 90's was the superhawk's predecessor.
Old 03-14-2008, 05:20 PM
Superstock

102dals is an unknown quantity at this point
Maybe I'm wrong, but I think he's asking about the SP1/2 series...
We (the US) also got both the SP1 & 2. American Honda made no differentiation between 1 vs. 2, they were just different model years with the same name: RC51 (a serial # based designation). I think they're identical, with differing paint schemes, to the European SP1 & SP2 for each model year. I believe they changed in 2002 (from SP1 to SP2)?

'Bling is correct about the VTR250, except I think Honda still has a few VTR250 models worldwide. I saw at least one model for Japan or Australia a few years back if memory serves.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:59 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
http://charlotte.craigslist.org/mcy/598106412.html
Old 03-14-2008, 07:05 PM
Remember stock is BAD!
SuperSport
SuperSport

divingindaytona is an unknown quantity at this point
The RC51 in black is freaking sweet. I am drooling over my keyboard here.

The first time I saw one, a couple of years ago I thought: this would be a perfect "bad guy" bike in a movie. Dark and menacing, with a great sound.
Old 03-15-2008, 03:09 AM
idiot
Squid

Smile

Ah RC51 now i get it ! http://www.motorbyte.com/mmm/pages/r...review7_00.htm

The last few words of this review i like.
Old 03-15-2008, 03:20 AM
Back Marker

Arctic Fire is on a distinguished road
"like the ninja 250, only cooler"

For someone who is more in touch with their feminine side.. I'm not sold on the Pink and Purple graphics. At least the Ninja comes in solid colours. No t that it's any cooler. It should read " Like a scooter, but cooler!"
Old 03-15-2008, 10:19 AM
Back Marker

Derbig Mooser is on a distinguished road
Hold on! The Varradero (XL 100V) had carbs, not EFI! They either had smaller venturis or had smaller jets. But Mikuni carbs, for sure. Also a steel frame and linked brakes. Sort of an adventure-touring afterthought to the Hawk. BTW, kids, take it from me, cause I know. The VTR is a classic! Sure, the RC51 is a great bike, but the Hawk is a classic. It has the right combination of factors to make an all time great bike. Now that I've got a service manual, I can see that the Hawk rates very high on "ease-of-service" which is a factor in making a classic, too!
Old 03-15-2008, 10:22 AM
Back Marker

Derbig Mooser is on a distinguished road
Unfortunately, Honda seems to have dropped the L-twin engine. No doubt due the nefarious machinations of the four-in-line fanatics. At least Suzuki re-iterated the TL-1000 into a couple different models (V-Strom, SV-650) until they sold. Honda should not drop the L-twin.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:42 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Derbig Mooser
Hold on! The Varradero (XL 100V) had carbs, not EFI! They either had smaller venturis or had smaller jets. But Mikuni carbs, for sure. Also a steel frame and linked brakes. Sort of an adventure-touring afterthought to the Hawk. BTW, kids, take it from me, cause I know. The VTR is a classic! Sure, the RC51 is a great bike, but the Hawk is a classic. It has the right combination of factors to make an all time great bike. Now that I've got a service manual, I can see that the Hawk rates very high on "ease-of-service" which is a factor in making a classic, too!

EEeep!!! wrong agan... next contender...

It had/has both... Older models had smaller carbs and milder cam lobes but basicly the same engine mated to a 5 speed gearbox...

Newer one's are EFI'd...
Old 03-15-2008, 10:44 AM
idiot
Squid

Originally Posted by Derbig Mooser
Unfortunately, Honda seems to have dropped the L-twin engine. No doubt due the nefarious machinations of the four-in-line fanatics. At least Suzuki re-iterated the TL-1000 into a couple different models (V-Strom, SV-650) until they sold. Honda should not drop the L-twin.
No! the 90 deg v twin is not dropped by Honda the SP2 with that engine is very much a current model. This is what I was getting at -when was it dropped in th US (presumably as the RC51?)or was it?
Old 03-16-2008, 08:29 AM
Superstock

RCs aren't showing on the webpage under the '08 lineup, I guess they're gone?
Also, didn't American Honda stop carrying SuperHawks after last year (2007)?
Old 03-16-2008, 11:36 AM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by 102dals
RCs aren't showing on the webpage under the '08 lineup, I guess they're gone?
Also, didn't American Honda stop carrying SuperHawks after last year (2007)?

RVT1000R production stopped in 2005, but the last model year was 2006... bascially left over 2005's.

VTR1000F Production stopped in 2005.
Old 03-16-2008, 02:52 PM
Back Marker

Lifttruck is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by superbling
Technically, the 250 is the same in name only. 80's technology and was basically 1/2 of a V4 500 interceptor motor cut down the middle.

Most of the world also got the varadero which is the vtr motor detuned with EFI and stuffed in an adventure bike chassis.

The 650 hawkGT from the late 80's/early 90's was the superhawk's predecessor.
What about the Hawk GT influenced the design of the Super Hawk? The GT is a twin....Ok but the engine isn't even close in design. The GT is a SSA bike..... The swing arm pivots off of the frame.... I'm not challenging your knowledge just not seeing such a close the lineage.
Old 03-16-2008, 03:25 PM
Superstock

Lightbulb

A LOT of Hawk GT riders complained about power during its 4yr "run" in the US. It is a superb handling machine, with many innovations for its time. Many Hawk riders believe that the SuperHawk was Honda's direct response to those complaints....especially when a loosely based racing version of the SuperHawk (the RC51) was released to compete in Superbike series around the world, at nearly the same time. A lot of Hawk riders raced them, and MANY have won championships (at several levels of racing).
There may be few physical similarities, but many "spiritual" similarities....torque-oriented power curve, light weight, chassis designed for handling/comfort balance, relatively low cost, tons of aftermarket parts, etc. Those of us who've owned Hawks & Super Hawks can tell, even if others can't.
I've even called the RC series the "Super Duper Hawk". I think this is a topic on another thread, though (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=14019) they're using "SuperChicken" to describe the SuperHawk.
Old 03-16-2008, 04:01 PM
Back Marker

A LOT of Hawk GT riders complained about power during its 4yr "run" in the US. It is a superb handling machine, with many innovations for its time. Many Hawk riders believe that the SuperHawk was Honda's direct response to those complaints....especially when a loosely based racing version of the SuperHawk (the RC51) was released to compete in Superbike series around the world, at nearly the same time. A lot of Hawk riders raced them, and MANY have won championships (at several levels of racing).
There may be few physical similarities, but many "spiritual" similarities....torque-oriented power curve, light weight, chassis designed for handling/comfort balance, relatively low cost, tons of aftermarket parts, etc. Those of us who've owned Hawks & Super Hawks can tell, even if others can't.
I've even called the RC series the "Super Duper Hawk". I think this is a topic on another thread, though (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=14019) they're using "SuperChicken" to describe the SuperHawk.
I still don't quite see the connection... I think relating the VTR 1000 F to the RC31 is a bit of a stretch. They are two completely different running and behaving machines in my experience. The Hawk GT was a parts bin creation. A recipe from leftovers. The VTR 1000 F a purpose built bike. The Hawk GT was eclipsed by the Hurricane which came out around the same time and buried the Hawk GT in sales. Here in the US Sales is what drives the market. If it doesn't sell it won't get produced. The Hawk GT didn't sell so it got axed. The VFR is on that same path. The RC51 and VTR 1000 F are heavy and don't perform like the newer inline 4's so they're gone as sales decreased. I will probably sell my Hawk GT and both of the VFR's and both of the VTR's I own someday but I bet I'll buy their replacements before I sell what I have.
Old 03-16-2008, 06:51 PM
MotoGP

Here is a link to a review on the '97/'98; LINK. It features a little bit of information on a few VTR predecessors, the Hawk GT and the VR980 prototype.
Old 03-16-2008, 07:44 PM
Superstock

Talking

Lift,
I agree about the connections being a stretch...but they're there. I haven't read Inderocker's link, but I know what it'll say about the VR980. I saw pics of those online when they came out in 97/98. As a longtime HawkGT owner, I saw the complaints of owners (on the Hawklist) in the 90's. The Hawk was a "parts bin creation", mostly to keep the price low. It debuted the ProArm swingarm & frame (for the street), DEFINITELY not a "bin" part. The bike won races, LOTS of them. It still does (in vintage classes). It single-handedly launched aftermarket companies (for race parts)...yes, they've died or moved on to other bikes/parts, but most still sell Hawk parts (20 years later). Look at track days, you'll still see them there (20 years later).
I agree about sales in the US market, Honda is in business to make $$ and they move on, but Honda is a deeply traditional company (as most Japanese companies). I loves its traditions (especially in model naming), and it has shown this tendancy over the longterm. They really hold to some names...look at the use of the Hawk name over the last 40 years, and the use of RC designations for its race bikes. Honda's used them again & again. The continuous designation of CB (something, even with R or RR after it) has been in use since the 60's. Even in their 4-wheeled division, they cling to names. The Civic has been continuously sold since 1973, and Accords since the late 70's (I'm waiting for the a new Prelude). Sure, they change them but always maintain the names.
BTW, I think it unlikely they'll discontinue the VFR....the original VF was a revolutionary bike for Honda, and the V-four design has inherent advantages, they'll update it. It's been a continuous model since 1983/4.
Just my 2 cents......from someone who currently owns 4 Hondas (3 'bikes & a car), and has owned several more over the past 30 years. When they release a Hybrid Odyssey, I'll probably have one of those too.

Dals
Old 03-17-2008, 05:10 AM
Back Marker

Lift,
I agree about the connections being a stretch...but they're there. I haven't read Inderocker's link, but I know what it'll say about the VR980. I saw pics of those online when they came out in 97/98. As a longtime HawkGT owner, I saw the complaints of owners (on the Hawklist) in the 90's. The Hawk was a "parts bin creation", mostly to keep the price low. It debuted the ProArm swingarm & frame (for the street), DEFINITELY not a "bin" part. The bike won races, LOTS of them. It still does (in vintage classes). It single-handedly launched aftermarket companies (for race parts)...yes, they've died or moved on to other bikes/parts, but most still sell Hawk parts (20 years later). Look at track days, you'll still see them there (20 years later).
I agree about sales in the US market, Honda is in business to make $$ and they move on, but Honda is a deeply traditional company (as most Japanese companies). I loves its traditions (especially in model naming), and it has shown this tendancy over the longterm. They really hold to some names...look at the use of the Hawk name over the last 40 years, and the use of RC designations for its race bikes. Honda's used them again & again. The continuous designation of CB (something, even with R or RR after it) has been in use since the 60's. Even in their 4-wheeled division, they cling to names. The Civic has been continuously sold since 1973, and Accords since the late 70's (I'm waiting for the a new Prelude). Sure, they change them but always maintain the names.
BTW, I think it unlikely they'll discontinue the VFR....the original VF was a revolutionary bike for Honda, and the V-four design has inherent advantages, they'll update it. It's been a continuous model since 1983/4.
Just my 2 cents......from someone who currently owns 4 Hondas (3 'bikes & a car), and has owned several more over the past 30 years. When they release a Hybrid Odyssey, I'll probably have one of those too.

Dals
I think the stretch is that it took 7yrs. from when the GT was axed here in the US before the SH was marketed. I think Honda took it's marketing inspiration from it's competition not it's faithful customers. I'm also a long time GT owner and Hawk GT email lister and still have my GT. I love that little bike. I'm well aware of it's history. You are correct when you write of the Pro Arm. The frame as well was an all new design. As for the VFR, that model has strayed far from it's racing roots. When dealerships are only selling a few each year I think the writing is on the wall. I don't feel bad at all that I own three obsolete bikes. I'm just wondering what's down the road that will interest me as a rider. I'm ot your cookie cutter bike kind of guy!
Old 03-17-2008, 10:03 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Lifttruck
I think the stretch is that it took 7yrs. from when the GT was axed here in the US before the SH was marketed. I think Honda took it's marketing inspiration from it's competition not it's faithful customers.
Agreed, the VTR was a response to the Ducati 916/996, and RVT a response to the 998/999. I do hope that Honda will soon have a response for the 1098!

Last edited by inderocker; 03-17-2008 at 11:14 AM.
Old 03-17-2008, 04:23 PM
Superstock

Red face

Lift,
I agree whole-heartedly.......I don't mean to lecture, or get on the soapbox (too much). I seem to be surrounded by too many Harley guys who think we're "ricers" and have no idea of the traditions of riding. We know they're wrong at least.
Honda seems a bit "dual-minded" to me where this is concerned, though. The VTR has stayed around for a long time, as have the Hawk and VFR...even past its marketing successes (kinda) and those of its competitors. Maybe I'm jaded, but I like to think this is Honda's attempt to maintain some company traditions also?
Who says they're obsolete? How many guys can keep up with you in the twisties, then ride 250-500 miles in relative comfort? Nobody on a GSXR, CBR, R1/6, or ZXR I'll wager (OK, so we'll be stopping for gas more frequently)
A new competitor for the 1098 would be interesting.
Andy
Old 05-29-2008, 01:08 PM
Squid

jasons996 is on a distinguished road
Maybe I'm wrong, but I think he's asking about the SP1/2 series...
We (the US) also got both the SP1 & 2. American Honda made no differentiation between 1 vs. 2, they were just different model years with the same name: RC51 (a serial # based designation). I think they're identical, with differing paint schemes, to the European SP1 & SP2 for each model year. I believe they changed in 2002 (from SP1 to SP2)?

'Bling is correct about the VTR250, except I think Honda still has a few VTR250 models worldwide. I saw at least one model for Japan or Australia a few years back if memory serves.

the sp1 and 2 are rc51 models. sp1 us carbuereted and sp2 is fuel injected. like first gen second gen type thing
Old 05-29-2008, 01:31 PM
MotoGP

What country was the SP1 carbureted in?
Old 05-29-2008, 02:02 PM
Duc Hawk
SuperSport

Moto Man is on a distinguished road
I'd like to see Honda's reaction to the KTM RC8 instead of the 1098. Spot on chasis and handling with adjustable inputs! I know Honda can do it. In a way all the reviews I read about the RC8 remind me of a bigger, badder and better Honda Hawk GT (NT650) as its also a narrow angle vee with great handling that you ride in not on.

Last edited by Moto Man; 05-29-2008 at 02:09 PM.
Old 05-29-2008, 04:26 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jasons996
the sp1 and 2 are rc51 models. sp1 us carbuereted and sp2 is fuel injected. like first gen second gen type thing
Originally Posted by inderocker
What country was the SP1 carbureted in?
The SP1 has never been carburated... anywhere...
Old 05-29-2008, 04:53 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Tweety
The SP1 has never been carburated... anywhere...
exactly
Old 05-29-2008, 06:16 PM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

joshuatest is an unknown quantity at this point
CAN I PLAY TOO??????????????????????????

Ok.... So, I'm not expert at all, but we can pretend right?

Seriously though... I just read through all the Hawk GT to SuperHawk talk, and have a question..

Its said above that there was a 7yr gap between the last production of the Hawk GT, and the inception of the SuperHawk... is that correct?

Assuming we are talking about US model's I think... My question is, was the gap narrowed in other country's...

Often time's things are available in other country's that are not available in the US... (my 1st gen Frontier for instance stopped in US after 04, but in Mexico is still a current model)... Anyway... What was the last year that Honda in general (in any Country) offered the Hawk GT or similar model, and what was the first year that Honda (in any Country) offered the SuperHawk or Firestorm (or any other tag name for this bike)....

With those things considered, was there still a 7yr gap? or did the US just not have these models all the years?
Old 05-29-2008, 06:19 PM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

joshuatest is an unknown quantity at this point
WOW...

So being guilty of not knowing anything about the Hawk GT, I just used my dear friend google to find pictures of them....

and yes...

WOW, what a sexy bike for the years it was available... I want one... They are actually pretty bad ***
Old 05-29-2008, 07:45 PM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by joshuatest
WOW...... They are actually pretty bad ***
And sound awesome. too!