General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Leo Vince High Mount Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 09:04 AM
Superstock

Duck007 is on a distinguished road
Leo Vince High Mount Question

I'm in the midst of installing the Leo Vince alum highmounts (woohoo!). There are (2) round discs about 2" diameter w/ 5 holes in each. These are not mentioned anywhere in the parts list or shown on the assembly diagram. My guess is that they go on the inlet side of the can as they fit perfectly and stop on the lip of the inner perforated pipe. Are these discs optional flow restrictors to be used with the sound reducer inserted at the outlet end???
Thanks in advance!
Old 05-29-2008, 11:32 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
I have LV evo II cans on my vfr but the design of the db killers (reducers, spuds, baffles, etc) isn't even close to that kind of description. The evo II's are euro-spec street legal and the baffles have a "tamper proof" (hah!) screw to pass regulation. Maybe yours are race spec and the reducer is just thrown in as an extra?
Old 05-29-2008, 11:38 AM
Superstock

Mine have the db killers in the outlet end as well (attached with a screw) which I thought were the extent of the sound deadening efforts. Without the discs I described being placed at the inlet side of the can, you can look right thru the muffler thru the straight perf pipe inside. I have installed with the discs in place and am about to test fire it....if they come flying out the back end I'll know they weren't supposed to be there!
Old 05-29-2008, 12:22 PM
Squid

Generation450X is on a distinguished road
I beleive the disks are clled the "dB killers". The baffles that fit into the outlet of the cannisters are called "Quiet Core Inserts".

Here is correspondence I had with Leo Vince on August 2006 about this same subject:

__________________________________________________ ____________

Throw them in the trash! They are dB killers that nobody uses.

Don.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, August 18, 2006 12:17 PM
To: Don Schmidt [don@leovinceusa.com]
Subject: RE: Regarding part #6842 SBK Oval Aluminum Slip on (for 2003 Honda
VTR1000)

Hi Don-

There were two perforated stainless steel disks loose inside the box. They were about 1-1/2" in diameter. All other hardware was packaged in plastic bags, and there was nothing in the installation guide regarding these disks.
The only place they could fit would be in the socket where the canister is slipped over the sub-pipe and attached with the spring. Is this correct? What are the disks called?

Thanks
Old 05-29-2008, 01:19 PM
Superstock

Great! Thanks for the replies. As soon as things cool down from the maiden voyage I'll take the disks out. First Impression - I thought they were quieter than my stockers with 8 holes in each. I'll start with taking off the disks then remove the end insert if it's still not loud enough. Thanks again.
Old 05-29-2008, 01:40 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Interesting. I don't recall seeing these discs but my pipes were designed for a bike with a catcon which is a good db killer in itself so maybe the quiet core was deemed more than enough (?). I still have the original box in storage, need to rummage through it again.

Don, I'm one who bought these pipes specifically for the db killers. I installed a set of staintunes on my first superhawk for the same reason. I want performance sound quality but not necessarily quantity.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:57 PM
Superstock

OK - the discs (db killers) were the problem sound-wise. Took them out and HUGE difference, even with the "quiet core inserts" in place. Sounds like an exhaust worth paying for now.
Old 05-29-2008, 06:26 PM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
The instructions I got with my LV low mounts had no information about the disks. I used them for about 3 months partly because I had had words with an otherwise wonderful neighbour about an idiot friend of his coming by on his chopper with open pipes. The LV's are as quiet as stock pipes with the disks in. The noise is throatier without them but not obnoxious. I thought I'd do a back to back comparison on a dyno in the interests of science but I never got around to it.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:05 PM
Superstock

I'm anxious to take a ride in the morning to get a real feel for the difference. I'm not shooting for obnoxious, just a good rumble. Those discs must block more than 50% of the pipe area.