General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Little Help.

Old 04-05-2007, 03:57 PM
Squid

Pookbe is on a distinguished road
Little Help.

I have had my VTR for a couple of weeks and been off and on the forums here. My question is this. I am from Calgary, Alberta in Canada. The climate is really a crap shoot at best. My VTR has just over 30,000 kms on it. Do you think that it is too late to change my oil to a synthetic? If so any suggestions as to what weight? Sorry that's 2 questions. But you get what I mean. I plan to take my bike out of the city cruising around and was curious to what oil I should use?
Old 04-05-2007, 04:09 PM
Superstock

nineighthawk
There is never really a bad time to switch to synythetic oil. The only time I would use mineral oils is during initital break-in.

I run Royal Purple Motorcycle/ATV blend 10/30 wt. oil in my bike and have no problems as of yet. 53,000 miles and still going strong.
Old 04-05-2007, 05:47 PM
Squid

Pookbe is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by nineighthawk
There is never really a bad time to switch to synythetic oil. The only time I would use mineral oils is during initital break-in.

I run Royal Purple Motorcycle/ATV blend 10/30 wt. oil in my bike and have no problems as of yet. 53,000 miles and still going strong.
Is the Vtr a specific blend of oil like a blend or would AMSOIL be just as good? Is all motorcycle oil a blend of motorcycle and ATV?
Old 04-05-2007, 06:00 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Mobil 1 15w-50 works great, and it's easy to find. I wouldn't use it in extreme cold temperatures where you are but above 50°F or so you should be fine.

I can't believe I just responded to an oil thread!
Old 04-05-2007, 07:34 PM
Superstock

nineighthawk
Originally Posted by Pookbe
Is the Vtr a specific blend of oil like a blend or would AMSOIL be just as good? Is all motorcycle oil a blend of motorcycle and ATV?

Just stay away from oils with detergents or friction modifiers. If you run them it can effect the clutch since it is a wet clutch.

Amsoil is good stuff, if you want to use it.

Like Hawkrider said. If you are in a colder climate stay away from the heavy weights of oil. The heaviest I would go is a 40wt.